Evil Dead Review
- Interestingly stylized visuals; cartoonish with a sinister edge.
- Follows the movies with a bit of artistic license for additional action.
- Performance issues; stuttering frame-rate during combat.
- Awkward combat controls; hard to aim shotgun and bullets occasionally 'disappear' after firing.
It would be great to say this is the Evil Dead game people have been waiting for, but despite its source material and simple concept it fails to excite.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
I, for one, have nothing to complain about when it comes to the Bruce Campbell love of late. Clearly I'm not the only one craving more one-liners and Trigger Apps have released their twin-stick shooter re-telling of the Evil Dead movies (with a bit of artistic license thrown in). As Ash you'll need to beat back Deadites and possessed flora and fauna while trying to protect your friends from the evil slowly overtaking them.
For much of the game you'll be limited in your available resources, sticking to a fairly basic axe to chop down enemies while occasionally picking up a shotgun (and other movie-featured weapons) to mow them down with ease. Sadly the controls are a large sticking point, with moving and aiming being challenging enough without collision detection issues also cropping up. To hit enemies with the axe you'll need to face them, but this also means potentially walking in to them while turning about and copping a slap to the face; shooting the shotgun works much like any other twin-stick shooter (aim with the firing stick to shoot in that direction), but aiming can be touchy, which isn't helpful when you only have a limited amount of ammunition.
While the gameplay suffers due to sticky controls, the visuals are something else altogether. Given the absurdist style of the original movies (semi-realistic horror with slapstick comedy stylings), it's actually neat to see the world rendered in a cartoonish chibi-like fashion complete with Nintendo Wii stylized characters. Having gore splash on to your screen (seemingly at random) can be annoying, but it does add to the challenge as you choose between being able to see incoming enemies or taking out a few more first.
Evil Dead does an admirable job at trying to recreate the storyline of the first movie while improvising additional story elements, but ultimately it's more frustrating than fun to play. There's not a lot of room for error when approaching a franchise that's considered a cult-classic and while the game has some merit your time could be better spent watching the original movie again.
Device Requirement: iPhone 3GS or newer or iPod touch 4th gen or newer
ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIME! It's Evil Dead: The Game! Play the ultimate experience in grueling horror!
Evil Dead is a horror-action-shooter-adventure where you play as Ash and must fight off Deadites and a host of other possessed abominations in order to stay alive and protect your friends. Groovy!
- 30 action-packed levels in a Story mode based on the cult classic film!
- Axes, boomsticks and chainsaws galore! Fight bosses and lead your friends to safety!
- Mighty fine 3D graphics that will swallow your soul! You will say, "Yeah... truly amazing."
- Play through the original film's plot and then some! Separated into two chapters, Autumn Horror lets you experience the film, and Winter Nightmare lets you feast on a brand new storyline!
- There's so much gore, you'll literally have to wipe it off your screen!
- Earn badges and prove your worth! There’s a Game Center leaderboard!
- Includes dialogue and the score from the original film!
- Celebrate the 30th year anniversary of the horror movie that started it all!
"Stays true to the feel of [the film], which is essential." – Rob Tapert, Executive Producer of The Evil Dead
"Gore-drenched, boomstick-featuring, Deadite slaughterthon" – Entertainment Weekly
"They’ve done a great job of faithfully recreating the original movie, plus adding some new content of their own." – Appolicious
"Evil Dead looks crisp, runs well, and is one of the better-looking mobile titles I've seen." – Game Informer
For more info about the Evil Dead app, visit http://www.evildeadapp.com. For customer support, reach us at support[at]evildeadapp[dot]com.
What's New in Version 1.1- Improved controls, performance, and gore!
Feel free to send feedback, questions or any issues to support[at]evildeadapp[dot]com. We read all emails!
If you really enjoy the game, or if this update has improved things for you or fixed any issues, please take a moment to update your App Store review or write a new one! It really helps us out. Thanks for your support!