Buddy Rush ® Review
- Simple, yet engaging Action-RPG experience.
- Multiple classes to check out.
- Use your friends as 'companions' to complete difficult missions.
- Online connection required along with a Facebook account.
- Usual concern regarding 'friending' random individuals.
- Poor translation and interface design; easy to get confused.
Buddy Rush doesn't address many of the main concerns of Freemium titles, but even without spending money there's a lot to do and enjoy in this cute Action-RPG.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Freemium titles, or more specifically, games that implement some form of play restriction can get a bad rap, especially if the game harshly limits the time you can play as an incentive to spend money. Adding a social twist via Facebook only seeks to reinforce the habit (and knock the competitive aspect up a notch) and it's easy to feel a bit skeptical about new similar titles, especially if you've been burned in the past.
Buddy Rush by Company 100 takes this free game model and attaches it to an Action-RPG system that encourages players to make friends so they can be added to their party to assist them in a variety of in game missions. Multiple classes are available, each with a unique set of skills that can be leveled up after mastering a particular quest. This is where the energy system comes in to play as 'stamina' is consumed in order to attempt a mission, however in-game items along with leveling up can keep you playing for a considerably long time.
Unfortunately the focus is on getting Facebook friends to play with you, which is problematic for those that level up faster or slower than those they're playing with. Players can friend random people of an appropriate level, though this comes with all the usual concerns of befriending strangers.
However, on the flip side the game is immensely fun (if a bit forcefully repetitive) as you travel through a wide variety of environments, tackling weird and wonderful creatures by simply tapping on screen to move around the 3D world. It's an easy game to play and enjoy, making it the perfect honey-trap for those who enjoy or regularly survive off free titles.
Despite the attached concerns of limited play and forced Facebook integration, Buddy Rush is an enjoyable RPG and in a rare-twist the need to spend money is fairly low, if not entirely negated by patience; a fun title to share with friends.
iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS / iPod Touch 4 / iPad
“… bright graphics, excellent sound, good sense of humor, and vast re-playability will keep fans of the genre happy for some time." – 148Apps
"…the brightly coloured world… is endearing… it's fun to pop into for a quick mission." – Pocket Gamer
"It plays and looks great, it has plenty of content and charm, and you can play it wherever you are, be it on your desktop or your phone.” - Gamezebo
Get ready for the best FREE dungeon crawler ever! Create a character, grab a Buddy (or two) from your friends’ character lineup, and go forth on Missions as you thwack ugly Oblins and other creepy-crawlies!
Buddy Rush is a cross-platform, single-player, action role-playing game (RPG) developed for Facebook.
Connect with your Facebook account and play through your internet browser or on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. You’ll adventure through a beautifully rendered 3D world, taking along buddies that aren’t just generic NPCs – they’re computer-controlled characters that your Facebook Friends have created! Earn experience points for Buddies just for bringing them along on Missions, and earn experience points for your own character just for getting taken along in your friends’ own adventures!
The full FREE game features:
- A cute isometric 3D world to grab loot and level up in!
- 16 customizable characters: Choose a class and customize outfits, armor and weapons to help improve your character’s talents and increase the chance that your friends will select your Buddy for their next Mission!
- Play with your friends’ Buddy character: Form groups for Missions and Dungeons by selecting from Facebook friends’ existing Buddies. Reward their Buddy with experience for bringing them along and they’ll return the favor by inviting your Buddy for their own adventures!
- 11 different Chapters and 104 Missions: Each Chapter presents a new environment and soundtrack, with fresh objectives, monsters and bosses to overcome.
- Over 2000 items: Earn items that make your Buddy stronger by completing challenging Missions, Dungeons and Challenges, or by purchasing in the store.
Coming Soon! More Chapters, Missions, Characters and Gears.
Like and Play us on Facebook:
Watch us on YouTube:
Follow us on Twitter:
Tell your friends and get more Buddies to play with!
Click the arrow next to “Free App” in the iTunes App Store and select “Tell a Friend” from the dropdown options.