Annoying Orange: Kitchen Carnage Review
- Easy to pick up flick-based skill-shot gameplay.
- Bonus points for tricky shots including rebounds from the back wall.
- New characters and hazards added with each new level.
- Voices can be turned off.
- Limited appeal to those who aren't fans of the YouTube series.
- Repetitive gameplay after only a few short rounds; no alternative gameplay.
One would expect a game based around Annoying Orange to be far more annoying, but diving in to this skill-shot title is pleasantly rewarding at least for a while.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Video-games, along with other media, have long since been co-opted by marketing gurus who want to cash in on their intellectual property, resulting in the much maligned 'tie-in' product. With the advent of YouTube shows becoming popular it was only a matter of time until a tie-in for one of these shows appeared and so it is with a heavy heart I dive in to Annoying Orange: Kitchen Carnage.
It should be said that I do dislike the show; Orange is simply far too good at his job for me to remain entertained. However this is where Kitchen Carnage manages to step in to provide fans and haters alike with something they can all appreciate - a violent end to many of the characters from the show. Sadly Orange isn't included in the kill-count, but flicking your finger to launch each character towards a blender, chopping board or exhaust fan is easy to pick up, making it fun to dispatch each one.
Points are awarded based on who you chop up and how they're chopped up (i.e. bouncing a character off the back wall and in to a blender scores considerably more than just the blender) and bonus time can be added to your steadily reducing clock by hitting a character hidden in the cupboards. Points slowly accrue and eventually 'level up' the challenge, adding more hazards to the mix and a new character to destroy for higher scores.
The presentation is simple, but in keeping with the YouTube show's style as real-world objects with a bit of photo-editing are used to create the kitchen of death. Including voices from the show add a great touch to the game, however the repetitive and irritating voices can be turned off from the options (which is a considerate thought for those who simply want the carnage without the headache).
There's not a lot of long-term appeal to Kitchen Carnage, though fans are likely to get far more mileage out of the game before its skill-based high score gameplay becomes tiresome. Worth having a look at whether or not you enjoy Annoying Orange's antics.
DescriptionHEY! HEY! Fling characters like Cantaloupe, Banana and “Painapple” to a variety of gruesome deaths while you rack up points and bonus time in your quest to become the best Fruitslinger in the Kitchen! Oh yeah, and one more thing! KNIFE! HAHAHAHA!
He’s cute. He’s Annoying. He’s an Orange! To some, he’s the king of comedy, the prince of puns, the earl of irritation! And to others, he’s just a royal pain in the butt. Call him what you like, just don’t call him an apple! He hates that!
"there's something maddeningly addictive about the game"
-- Slide to Play
"you just can’t put it down!"
-- The Appera
• Fast-paced fruit-slinging arcade action in a beautifully rendered 3D kitchen!
• A flick of the finger sends Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe and more to juice spraying deaths.
• Collect big points with bonus multipliers on blenders, cutting boards and the almighty "Vent Hood of Death"!
• Collect Nuclear Limes to power up the 10,000,000 Watt microwave that destroys all fruit in sight for juicy bonus points!
• Earn bonus time from Orange's entourage hiding in the cabinets (shake device or tap door when the cabinets knock)!
• Challenge yourself to Classic mode or test your accuracy in Balloon Popping mode!
• Claim your spot at the top of the fruit salad with Game Center (over 20 achievements and 3 global leader boards)!
• Over 50 unique voice clips and animations from your favorite series characters!
• New updates with horrible deaths coming soon!
Check out these other great games from Thruster:
• Freddie Wong: Flower Warfare
• Doodle Bomb
What's New in Version 1.5.1• Mistletoe has left the party with all the decorations
• Squash becomes a permanent member of the cast
• Rapberry makes his way back to the kitchen
• Popping balloons in Endless Mode now gives you points
• Minor bug fixes and enhancements