ORC: Vengeance Review
- Dark, brooding and brutal aesthetic; chunky weapon blows, squelching sounds as weapons chip away at flesh - 'orc warlord' is written all over the game.
- Easy to pick up controls; a bit sensitive on iPad, but otherwise competent.
- Balanced progression; cash and items flow freely, but are still tied to level restrictions.
- Not enough skill slots; hard to feel like a badass orc warrior when you're dishing out the same handful of special moves over and over again.
- Crashing issues on 3GS devices; made it difficult to play consistently.
ORC: Vengeance keeps things simple and focused, and as a result its attempt at action-RPG dungeon crawling comes off as far more engrossing than those who spread their efforts too thinly.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
One advantage of a touch-screen, especially a large one, is the ability to bring to life games that would otherwise require an external device (such as a mouse) simply by exchanging clicks for taps. As such the action-adventure RPG has been an obvious golden-goose for developers, however while many have attempted to capture the same frantic action of games like Diablo, ultimately the goose seems more like a white whale.
ORC: Vengeance doesn't quite break the mold for iDevices, but it does manage to remain focused in its efforts, making for a game that still has the more-ish appeal of dungeon crawlers while cutting back on the fiddly aspects including multiple 'classes' and 'builds'.
You are (of course) an orc, but not just any orc - you're the Warchief. There's a distinct 'Warcraft' vibe to the game's story, but like many dungeon crawlers it serves less as a rich narrative in motion and more as a motivation for continuing to smash heads in one after another.
Speaking of which, the game keeps the action brutal in its execution and simple in its control. Tapping will move you around the screen, while four gestures (double tap, swipe, circle and zig-zag) activate a skill assigned to these gestures. Skills, weapons and armor can be upgraded for a moderate price and you'll not be for want of gold thanks to generous drops and an inventory system that automatically sells item duplicates.
However, the limitation to four gestures does bring up some problems, notably a lack of variety in combat. As brutal and deadly as your orc's blows may be, being limited in what you can do (especially if a slot is wasted on 'healing' potions), making the already predictable 'arena' style traps less of a chance to 'bust out some moves' and more of a rote cycle of abilities you've over-used too many times already.
Thankfully ORC: Vengeance never stoops to feeling incomplete in its design - enemies scale nicely over time and level-based limits, along with generous loot drops mean you'll never feel the need to grind while also being presented with a challenge (especially in the form of boss battles).
ORC: Vengeance doesn't quite nail the genre as a classic for iDevices, but it fares better than many that have come before it, making it a great pick up for those who like to knock heads and compare stats.
Description***** App Store Best of 2012 *****
Included in the 'Showpiece Games' category
***** App Store Editor's Choice Winner *****
Play as Rok, the Orc Warchief on a quest for vengeance in this incredible RPG adventure.
With groundbreaking visuals, intense combat, dynamic controls, epic boss battles and a deep, narrative-driven campaign, ORC: Vengeance is the most complete RPG available on the App Store.
"Not since Infinity Blade has a game oozed so much quality." — The Sun
"Not only is it a fine dungeon crawler, but the game also helps set the standard for other developer..." — GameTrailers
"...dungeon-crawling done right" — iMore
"ORC: Vengeance is one of the best dungeon-crawlers we've played on iOS." — Slide To Play
"…This is definitely a game that makes us happy on the inside…" — TouchArcade
"…among the finest dungeon crawlers for iPhone and iPad, a well-polished and fun monster-bashing romp with impressive graphics, a plethora of weapons and solid gesture-based controls…" — Modojo
"...one of the finest examples of its genre on the platform right now." — Hookshot Inc
Universal; works on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad with retina support.
iCloud sync supported, plus 4 game slots for those who share Apple IDs.
The Dark Lord has risen and has enslaved your Orc brethren, it's up to you to defeat him, and his legion of followers, and restore the balance to Argon.
CONSOLE QUALITY VISUALS
Prepare to be blown away by some of the most impressive graphics on the App Store. Environments, combat and visual effects come to life on screen.
Choose from a devastating array of weapons to destroy your enemies. Two-handed battle axes, swords and mighty war-hammers.
LOOT AND LORE
Break open chests, sell items and kill enemies to uncover loot to spend on new weapons and armor. Find the lost books of the ancients and uncover the story of the Dark One.
We are aware of a few isolated cases of people having problems with the build and we are very sorry about that. The developers are working hard now to resolve the issue in question and we promise you'll be back dungeon crawling as soon as possible.
For more information or support, please visit www.chillingo.com
What's New in Version 1.2Thanks for playing ORC: Vengeance and for letting us know what you think. With your help, we think we've made some pretty cool improvements to the game and we hope you continue to enjoy adventuring as Rok.
• iOS 6 support and iPhone 5 widescreen support!
• New virtual joystick control option with onscreen skill buttons. - Use the original tap controls or the new virtual controls!
• Autorun enabled by default!
• New difficulty settings: Grunt (Original Difficulty) | Warrior (Medium) | Warchief (Hard)
• Vengeance will deplete in Warchief difficulty!
• 5 new hidden sub-levels accessed from secret areas of the original campaign levels. They are very hard! Gear up!
• New rare weapons and shields to loot found only in the secret levels!
• New monsters inhabiting the sub-levels.
• Ability to go directly from the vendor to the next campaign level
• New app icon
• Some unattainable achievements were fixed.
• Improved gesture recognition for circle and zigzag gestures.
• Device detection fixes.
• Crash fix for some iOS device models.
• Minor game balancing and game flow tweaks.
• Minor UI fixes.
• Fixed lightning getting stuck "on" when pausing game.
• Fixed some missing FX on 3GS devices