Bike Baron Review
- Tight physics and responsive controls; you're only at the mercy of your own skill level.
- 40+ levels; smooth progression with scaling difficulty for unlocking 'stars'.
- Vibrant and amusingly whacky visual style.
- Unlockable 'joker' levels for the sadist gamers.
- Community developed custom levels for near endless replay value.
- Custom level download system not self-contained.
- Ultimately a rehash of titles like Trials HD and Joe Danger.
Although some may get hung up on comparisons to relatively recent titles, stunt driving has been a staple on the App Store and Bike Baron is one of the best, sporting rock solid controls; difficulty scaling from easy to ludicrous; and community shareable levels for near endless content.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Bike Baron by Qwiboo and Mountain Sheep is not the first to strap a happy-go-lucky stunt driver in to a vehicle and point them towards a lethal combination of ramps and explosives, nor will it be the last. What it lacks in original concept it makes up for with sheer polished gameplay and design, going so far as to also include the iOS community in the process of level creation.
If you're looking for a storyline, you're sorely out of luck as the Bike Baron is simply a daredevil without a cause. With his cravat, trail bike and trusty feline sidekick, he'll take on any challenge placed before him and if he's lucky he'll pull it off with style.
Upon loading the App the game throws you straight in to the game proper and after a cursory introduction to the controls you're on your way. This motif of snappiness goes a long way to making the game easy to replay over and over despite the huge potential for multiple restarts. Did you just blow up? Tap the screen immediately and you're already at the last checkpoint. Missed a coin early on? Two quick taps and you're already back at the start of the level.
The speedy restarts and loading may be attributed in-part to the rather small, yet dense designs of each level. Most can be completed in under 30s, meaning multiple attempts will only take a handful of minutes as opposed to the better part of an hour. Should you collect all the stars in a difficulty level (earned by completing various tasks) you'll unlock a 'joker' level that aims only to frustrate and test your skill with the game's controls.
While far from a truly realistic physics experience, Bike Baron always feels like you're completely in control, responding to subtle taps of the controls to brake or accelerate as you lean forward or back to adjust how you land or your bike's grip. The fidelity is quite surprising and after only a couple levels you'll feel at ease with game's controls.
Despite having over 40 levels ranging from easy to the ridiculously hard to conquer, unlocking and completing them once won't take too long as stars from earlier levels carry over. If you're the kind of person who craves new content all the time, you're in luck as you can either spend some time in the level editor making your own sadistic challenges or download stages shared by community members on the game's website.
Bike Baron is a careful balance of elements that culminates in a perfect storm of bite-sized gameplay with easy to approach gameplay that scales in difficulty depending on what challenges you seek to conquer. If you love games like Trials HD or Joe Danger, this is a great pick up for your iDevice.
DescriptionOver 6 million players! Number one game in 81 countries, Bike Baron is the Ultimate Bike Game for iPhone and iPad!
Featured by Apple as GAME OF THE WEEK
iOS Game of the Day - IGN
Number ONE in Quality Index round-up for October! - PocketGamer
"Fun gameplay; silly sense of humor; great level editor" - SlideToPlay
"Bike Baron is exceptionally well-made." - TouchArcade
"Say goodbye to your free time." - Yahoo
What happens when you put the developers of Minigore, Death Rally and Aqua Globs together with the composer of Angry Birds and Trine? PURE MAGIC. Bike Baron is a ride you will never forget!
- MASTER over 100 different tracks, beat more than 300 unbelievable challenges and learn the secrets of the Joker card
- CREATE custom levels* and share them with everyone!
- TRIUMPH over your friends, then speed your way to the top of the global leaderboards!
- PLAY this universal build with fantastic real-time shadows on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the new iPad
* Bike Baron comes with a full-featured level editor that we used to create all the levels in the game. Over 500 000 user levels created so far!
Join us @ www.facebook.com/thebikebaron
Follow Baron @ www.twitter.com/thebikebaron
Discover new levels @ www.thebikebaron.com
What's New in Version 3.4Update 19 features the contest winning moon levels!
1. "Crazy Day" by Karim Bizri
2. "A Space Odyssey" by Pekka Nykänen
3. "Spaced Out" by Wayne Fanning
New splendid icon!
Also check out our new slicing game KingHunt!