Squirmee REDUX Review
- Publisher: Coding Design, LLC
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 30 Jun, 2011
- Size: 14.8 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Original puzzle mechanic.
- The skip level button is welcome.
- Clever level design.
- Uncompromising difficulty.
Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree is a game for those who enjoy a fast paced, challenging experience. The difficulty of this title is not for everyone however.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Squirmee is enjoying time with his sister, when out of nowhere, a gigantic tree shoots out of the ground and traps her on its highest branch. This is the story of Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree, and sets the stage for a fast paced, original puzzle game, with plenty of frustration to spare.
Each level has Squirmee traveling along a predetermined path on a platform. The goal is to reach the end as quickly as possible, with the three stars available each level tied to the time of completion. Impeding your progress are saw blades, cannons, large spiked blocks, and even little critters. This race to the finish is based around what colors your platform and all the obstacles happen to be, as each color reacts differently to the ability to freeze time by touching the screen. Everything gray will freeze when time is stopped, while green objects aren't affected. Red objects can be stopped and reversed in time by dragging down on the screen, purple objects only move when time is stopped, and yellow objects behave the opposite of red. The difficulty of each level stems from which objects are which color and how you can take advantage of the combinations to keep Squirmee alive.
Squirmee is a cute little blob whose scrunching face when halting time is amusing, and the colors and obstacles are bright enough to always know what's going on. The music has a cartoony feel, but that of a conveyor belt, always rushing along with a sense of urgency. There are seventy-five levels to get through, complete with boss fights, and as a welcome addition, any level that is giving you trouble can be skipped and returned to later.
Where Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree suffers is in the sense of timing needed to get through its obstacles. The game moves at a fast pace, and often it is hard to react or to find a safe place to freeze time and work things out. Even when a solution is evident, the timing needed to pass allows for little to no leeway, making that skip level button look all the more desirable as you die for the twentieth time. There are those who will enjoy the uncompromising nature of this title, but others may wish to be cautious with their purchase.
DescriptionSquirmee REDUX is the definitive version of Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree. All the levels have been tweaked, re-designed and re-mastered to maximize the FUN and CHALLENGE!!!
Download it today!
★ FROM THE PRESS
"If you've been itching for a complex, difficult puzzle game, you won't find much better in the App Store..." - Thorin Klosowski, Touch Arcade (4.5/5)
"Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree’s tricky puzzles, novel controls, and distinctive ideas ensure that it firmly sits near the top of the iPhone puzzle tree." - Steve McCaskill, Pocket Gamer (9/10 Tree-mendous)
"It's a clever puzzler that will have you thinking just as much as playing." - Andrew Podolsky, Slide To Play
"In the end, if you would enjoy a truly puzzling action game, purchase this app." - Jamie Young, App Advice (4/5)
★ THE STORY
When a mysterious tree bursts from the earth and takes poor little Pink up with it, it’s up to her big brother, Squirmee, to come to her rescue!
★ THE GAMEPLAY
Squirmee and the Puzzling Tree was best described by Thorin Klowoski of Touch Arcade when he said, "[it] is a lot like Super Meat Boy flipped on its head. Instead of controlling an avatar, you're controlling the environment, but the same perfectly timed actions are required."
★ THE GAME SPECS
* 75 fun and puzzling levels (more coming soon)
* Color-based obstacles, each color represents a different challenge for Squirmee to overcome.
* Easy controls, simply Tap or Slide your finger across the screen!
* "Tap to Begin" feature allows you to view each level in action BEFORE tackling them.
* A step-by-step tutorial teaches you how to play, so you can dive right into the game without hesitation.
* 4 leaderboards to compete against your friends (and the world) on.
* 10 achievements to keep you playing again and again.
* 3 unique worlds to go through, from Earth to Ice and finally to FIRE!!!
* Comical boss fights give you a fun challenge at the end of each world.
For more updates and news on Squirmee and upcoming Lavafish Studios games, follow us on twitter: @LavafishStudios
What's New in Version 1.10- This is a MASSIVE update for Squirmee, please download it today and enjoy the REDUX :)
- ALL 75 LEVELS have been re-visited and re-imagined to make them easier and more FUN!
- "Tap to Begin" feature has been added to each level, so you can see the level in action BEFORE you have to tackle it!
- EVERY LEVEL is MORE FUN and simply BETTER!!!