Mad Acorn Review
- Energetic and fluid visual style; modern, urban, spray paint art aesthetic.
- Catchy dance, hip-hop soundtrack.
- Tap-to-play simplicity; 'hidden' beats given hardcore players more to chew on.
- All too short; thankfully more content is promised at no extra cost.
- Bats feel cheap on the third chapter; requires almost intuitive timing due to blending in so well.
Mad Acorn is the first in APD's series of TapTap Comix and a great start as it marries modern art forms in to a fun, interactive package that's perfect for rhythm game enthusiasts.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
[Mad Acorn was featured as the Mini-review for the Friday News Wrap-Up for the 22nd of June, 2012]
Despite my personal belief that Mad Acorn by APD deserves a much larger review, I can't begin to express just how unexpectedly perfect this title ended up feeling upon first playing it, so it's probably best I keep things short. The game, which is ostensibly a rhythm title, is the first in the developer's new TapTap Comix project, providing interactive artistic collaborations. Combining the urban artwork design from South Korean studio MOSTAPES and an electronic, hip-hop inspired soundtrack, the game positively bursts from the seams with raw energy; it may not be to everyone's liking, but the marriage of sound and art in Mad Acorn is almost flawless. Players will tap their way through several chapters, defeating a big-bad boss at the end of each, and while this may seem all-too-simple for some, 'hidden' beats are also available for players to find, adding to their score if they 'go with the flow'. For $2.99 it may be a bit pricey, especially considering its shelf-life, but if you're the kind of person that places presentation over complexity, this is an easy game to recommend.
Description** Try before you buy! You can play the 4 stages of the Boogie Train case with "Mad Acorn FREE" **
** Featured in New & Noteworthy from 138 App Stores worldwide! **
** #1 Overall in Korea! **
** #1 Action and Music in Hong Kong **
** Top 10 Music in 15 countries, including United States **
** Top 25 Music around the world **
"Mad Acorn by APD Inc. is a good example of the odd places that music games still travel to, and it also demonstrates why it’d be a gosh darn shame if the genre went extinct." - Slide To Play 4/4
Do you like Tap Tap Revenge, Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero? Then you'll LOVE Mad Acorn!!
TapTap Comix Vol.01: "Mad Acorn" the Rhythm Squirrel
"Feel the CRAZY RHYTHM!"
Mad Acorn is a revolutionary music rhythm game. TURN ON SOUND, pay attention to the music and you'll find the enemies coming towards you are actually music notes. Simply TAP anywhere on the screen to play the rhythm!
All you need to do is TURN UP THE VOLUME, be one with the music and JUST TAP your finger anywhere on the screen of your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
Help private detective Mad Acorn in his adventures on a burning bridge, bullet train, radioactive sewer and deadly swamp. Mad Acorn improves his skill as you score combos and his fighting technics explode to the levels beyond the art of war.
✔ 16 groovy original music by top underground artists
✔ 4 action packed chapters to play and MORE TO COME for FREE
✔ Over 30 pages of original comics
✔ More than 20 unique enemy characters
✔ Fight on various animated stages
✔ Game Center support with leaderboards and achievements
✔ Crystal clear high-definition music
* game features are limited in the free version
HOW TO PLAY
1) Be sure to put on headphones or TURN OFF SILENT MODE
2) Set the volume slightly louder
3) Select the stage and dive into the music
4) Follow the rhythm and tap anywhere on the screen to knock away foes/obstacles
5) Even when foes/obstacles are not on screen, tap to the rhythm and find hidden beats!
6) Timing your tap just right makes M.A. scream YEAH!
7) Scoring 30 combos makes M.A. sweat and go into Fever Mode
8) To clear the chapter, Final Beat (blow) on the boss must be successful
* Best experienced when played with headphones on. *
- Youtube -
- Facebook -
For support, bug report and any other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org