- Intuitive touch and swipe interface.
- Genuinely tactical shooting packed with action.
- Simple and effective visual style; easy to track enemies amongst the rubble.
- A great twist on gallery shooting and games like Infinity Blade.
- Rock, paper, scissors approach to situations can defuse the challenge greatly.
- Limited variety of weapons/accessories; no upgrades or longevity once you have the 'next best' version.
EPOCH. stands alongside a rare handful of games that combine not only beautiful graphics for a handheld device, but gameplay perfectly suited to the iOS platform while also invoking shades of far more complex titles like Infinity Blade; an easy must have for action gamers with minutes to kill each day.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
When small indie game studios boast about their prior professional experience it's generally a PR move to inspire confidence in what they're presenting. What really counts is the final product and in the case of Uppercut Games and their release of EPOCH., the experience and polish that comes from their years in the industry really shows in almost every aspect of the game.
You play as an AI controlled robot (think slightly less horrifying than a Terminator, but no less deadly) with a mission of rescuing the Princess while fighting off other robots that...
Wait what? Robot vs. robot warfare and you're saving a human princess? Strangely enough the premise works as you uncover snippets of news and other pieces of information while decimating enemies in what can only be called a hybrid of chest-high wall covers with agile Infinity Blade style controls all set in a gallery shooter much like Virtua Cop.
I may have lost you somewhere along the line there, but have no fear - it really does work.
Players control their robot through intuitive gestures such as swiping to the sides to roll to new cover in that direction; swiping up or down once or twice to take/leave cover or to reload or perform aerial flips to dodge incoming fire; tapping enemies targets them with auto-fire once you step out of cover or aims various weapons such as grenades or special abilities at them.
It's an action-packed setup that requires players to assess their enemies, determine major threats and dodge incoming attacks based on the enemy type and the weapons they use. Players can pick up armor and weapons of varying types, adding special effects such as stunning enemies, creating a sort of rock, paper, scissors situation where items bought or found in combat can be equipped to counter incoming fire and the enemies defenses.
Unfortunately EPOCH. quite literally falls short with a campaign that takes very little time to complete and only provides replay incentives through the lure of harder challenges in the additional difficulty levels. More of the story is unlocked as well, but the variety of weapons dries up early on making it feel repetitive instead of compelling you to reach for that new shiny item.
Those who loved Infinity Blade and are after something more futuristic should have no trouble enjoying EPOCH. and even with the current version's longevity in question it's worth playing your way to the end of each difficulty at least once.
DescriptionEPOCH - Post-apocalyptic Robot Combat
Featured as "Game of the Week" on the App Store!
* IGN.COM - "iOS cover shooting done right".
* TOUCHARCADE.COM - "Cover never felt so awesome"
* SLIDETOPLAY.COM - "Combine the gorgeous look with the superbly tuned touch-screen controls and high level of replayability, and result is a great and unique iOS action game ..."
* GIZMODO.CO.UK - "EPOCH is the new cover-shooter king by several circuit-boards."
* POCKETGAMER.CO.UK - "re-imagining the genre completely for the touchscreen"
* APPOLICIOUS.COM - "It's an absolutely gorgeous game with fast paced visceral combat that keeps you on your toes, and it even has an interesting story thrown in the mix."
* GAMEPRO.COM - "...the game is an Unreal Engine-powered visual tour-de-force that is sure to impress both you and your friends."
UNRAVEL THE MYSTERY
Follow the echoes of a lost civilization in a visually-stunning post-apocalyptic world where only robots survive to fight a never-ending war. Fight towards your goal and piece together the fragments to reveal exactly what happened when the old world ended. Is this the dawn of a new Epoch? And how can you find the one person you were originally assigned to protect?
CHOREOGRAPH THE ACTION
Control your character with intuitive finger swipes. Make split-second tactical decisions, take cover, select targets, dodge incoming fire, utilize special abilities, and launch countermeasures!
DESTROY, SALVAGE AND UPGRADE
Battle escalating waves of robots in arena-style combat, and upgrade yourself with pieces torn from your fallen enemies! Configure your robot with dozens of weapons, armors, boosters and counters.
IMMERSIVE SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN
Fight in multiple locations across a vast and ravaged city, and gather fragments of the past with logs from a cast of characters, each with their own perspective on the apocalyptic events that destroyed a once-proud civilization.
STUNNING AAA VISUALS
Utilize the enhanced visual capabilities of the iPhone4S and iPad 2 with high-resolution graphics powered by the UnrealEngine, the same engine used to create the visuals of the award winning Infinity Blade.
About Uppercut Games
Uppercut Games is an independent game studio whose founders have a long development history, working on award winning games such as Bioshock, Tribes: Vengeance, Freedom Force and Fallout: Tactics.