Sea Stars Review
- Publisher: Hothead Games Inc.
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 17 Nov, 2011
- Size: 27.3 MB
- Price: FREE!
- The upgrades and missions keep you playing.
- You get the hang of the controls in no time.
- A little too focused on the store.
While Tiny Wings set its course on land, Sea Stars takes to the water with a well made fun gaming experience.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you were to believe a certain catchy Disney song from the early 90s, you would think that things are much better under the sea. After a few minutes playing Sea Stars, you'd definitely be giving the argument some thought. There's something about the colors, the gliding mechanics and the collectables and upgrades that make this game just a joy to play.
Control as well as the style of game is similar to Tiny Wings. Pressing down on the screen gives you weight, plunging you to the bottom of the ocean, while lifting will send you soaring up, eventually diving out of the water. During this weaving to and fro, you'll be collecting coins, and avoiding deadly jellyfish and missile crabs. The main goal is to survive but the game is full of tiny goals, or missions if you will, that reward you with coins and experience upon completion. These range from meeting all the sea buddies that carry you along with a greater sense of risk and reward, to jumping enough times to engage rainbow bird mode, to just traveling a certain distance or collecting a certain amount of coins.
Coins are the currency for the shop. Not only can helpful power-ups such as shields and speed boosts be purchased, but bonuses in game can be upgraded, new characters can be unlocked, and even missions can be tagged out for another if one is giving you particular trouble. Now the game does tend to focus a little too much on the shop. Granted its unlocks are what helps to prolong play, and the extra money the developers will make from people purchasing coins to unlock everything they want to is fair enough, but its constant intrusion mars the joy of the gameplay somewhat.
Sea Stars is full of color, charm and enjoyable music. The game opens up quickly and before long you'll be defeating your high scores, ticking off missions and saving up coins for the next unlock. Sea Stars takes an established game type, and makes it its own. Great for short bursts of gameplay or those who like having goals to work towards.
DescriptionNumber 1 Kid's game in over 45 countries!!
Gaming App of the Day award - Kotaku
TUAW Daily iPhone App award - The Unoffical Apple Weblog
One touch controls are all you need to guide the incredible Sea Stars through a sea full of coins and underwater dangers. Dive deep to pick up speed and leap from the water to somersault and avoid the angry jellies and rocket crabs along your path.
* Swim as far as you can to explore this colorful world and complete the fun missions
* Explore an underwater world full of desert islands, sunken cities and treasure-laden shipwrecks.
* Find exciting free prizes inside clam shells or spend your hard earned coins in the store to buy power-ups or more Sea Stars characters.
MORE COOL CHARACTERS
* Dante the Dolphin
* Oscar the Orca
* Teeter the Otter
* Shelly the Sea Turtle
* Mr Puddles the Penguin
* Niji the Narwhal, (the very rare and colorful “unicorn of the sea") and many more
* Universal app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Easy and fun one-touch gameplay
* Game Center support for high scores leaderboards and achievements
* iCloud and twitter support
* Added iOS 6 support
* Fixed bugs