Don't Run With a Plasma Sword Review
- Publisher: XperimentalZ Games
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 30 Nov, 2011
- Size: 86.2 MB
- Price: $1.99
- Unlocked move set allows for complex maneuvering; higher skill-cap for hardcore players.
- Single-player mode gives the game focus while earning 'xp'.
- Fun Bit.Trip Runner-like boss fights.
- Unlockable 'costumes' don't really add flavor to the experience; basic palette swaps instead of interesting personalizations.
- Distracting mix of aesthetics; detailed designs interact poorly with simplistic or overly colorful ones - easy to be distracted or misled.
If you're going to be an 'endless runner', take a page out Don't Run With a Plasma Sword's book and try to provide an experience that goes beyond mindless platforming; while it still suffers from the genre's weaknesses, it's a great title for those after truly competitive high-scoring.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
By now you're either a fan or a hater of the endless side-scrolling platformers that inevitably crop up each week on the App Store. While some innovate in varying degrees, there's a limit to how often one can take on the same challenge over and over with little motivation. Don't Run With a Plasma Sword by XperimentalZ Games doesn't try to revolutionize the genre, but instead it tries to address the base concerns of the genre with mixed success.
Of note, simply jumping in to an endless challenge has its upsides (novelty of a new experience), but its downsides rapidly pile up as you quickly reach the tether limited by your ability and fight against it over and over. Don't Run With a Plasma Sword kicks things off with a single-player campaign, with four levels split in to six stages and a final boss level, providing a fixed challenge you can overcome with time.
The payoff for committing to this mode is earning enough experience to unlock new abilities, effectively changing the way the game is played. Jumping gains the usual double-jump, sliding gains the ability to attack, but players can also 'slide' in mid-air to dive and explode when hitting the ground or 'attack' and dash mid-air to eliminate enemies and dodge hazards. What this creates is a high skill cap where players who master the controls are rewarded with an extremely nimble character, making it possible to blast your way up the high-score leaderboards in a snap.
Those less skilled with the controls aren't completely left behind as power-ups and objectives help to close the gap, but there's no substitute for being able to smoothly transition out of a dash, in to a dive while attacking an enemy before resuming a double-jump glide for a gold star.
That said, the game ultimately falls in to the same trap as other endless games as it struggles to retain the player's interest despite dangling goodies such as unlockable costume customizations for the player. Also, extended play isn't generally recommended as the cluttered visuals can be tiresome on the eyes.
Ultimately, Don't Run With a Plasma Sword is a polished example of the genre, but it's unlikely to convert those who regularly avoid endless runners on the App Store.
DescriptionRun to save the world in this humoristic tribute to retro sci-fi movies! A fun, challenging runner with tons of content!!
Start with a simple combat runner and evolve your gameplay to ultimately navigate masterfully through challenging level configurations and boss fights!
- Over 600 000 downloads, 6 million games played, now available on Mac OS too!
- Featured by Apple in New and Noteworthy and What's hot!!
- Covered on The Totally Rad Show!
- What the press has to say:
4.5/5 touch arcade "From presentation to gameplay to overall fun factor, DRWAPS simply shines"
4.5/5 iFanzine "DRWAPS is the kind of genre mashup gold that we need to see more often in the App Store"
4/5 appspy "DRWAPS's book and try to provide an experience that goes beyond mindless platforming"
4/5 148Apps "DRWAPS is another solid endless runner with a little bit of action-platformer thrown in"
4.5/5 padgadget "DRWAPS is an action-packed infinite runner that fans of the genre won’t want to miss out on."
5/5 iphonegameruk "November Game of the Month"
4.5/5 apptudes "gorgeous and full of personality, it effortlessly blends platforming, action, and RPG elements into a fantastically entertaining experience"
5/5 app-score "DRWAPS is yet another running game that has used the iPhone to the best of it’s ability"
4/5 touchgen "DRWAPS is a fun entry in the endless running genre that brings both storyline, and humour to the table"
4/5 modojo "We grew tired of "runners" months ago, but DRWAPS renewed our faith in these types of games"
4.5/5 iPhone Alley "the amount of content that’s here is enough to satisfy any casual gamer or the ideal hardcore"
4.5/5 crasymikeapps "DRWAPS is a side scrolling platformer with more personality than most, leveraging excellent graphics and in depth gameplay"
4/5 iphoneappreviews "DRWAPS is one of those games that keeps your coming back for more, even once all upgrades are purchased"
4.5/5 backtothegeek "If you like runners, jump on it"
For a long time Cornelius has been working at the local comic books stand shop. For about as long, he's been daydreaming about how somehow, someday, he'd become a Hero. After all, wasn't what the fortune cookie was saying, right? ... right? Fortunately the Aliens invasion would come just in time to provide with this opportunity...
Don't Run is a breathtaking, retro sci-fi, combat based, funny sidescroller with tons of content.
Anyway, what more can you ask for than running with a plasma sword, slicing-up invading aliens?
------------- Main Features -------------
- Universal App
- Retina display
- 5 environments: City, Factory, Mother ship, Alien Planet, Tandoori Moon
- 2 Game Modes:
- Story mode with fixed game progression, save points, boss fights and 3-stars rating system
- Endless mode with 4 levels of difficulty, random map generation and objectives to accomplish
- Did we say it? Boss fights!
- Breathtaking action! Hundreds of small hand crafted map sections put together dynamically to make sure to bring out a maximum of diversity and generate a controlled difficulty progression.
- A unique 3 buttons contextual controls scheme: jump, slide, slash which becomes double jump, dive and dash in the air
- Several types of monster with their own gameplay, traps to avoid, power-ups and rewards to collect
- Upgrades! Collect xp in game to level up your avatar on skills and avatar customization
- Game Center leaderboard and achievements
- Comic storyboards
- Awesome soundtrack and sound effects
- 2 supported languages, English and French
- Updates and support? Of course :).
What's New in Version 1.3.2- Increased XP gains
- Lowered Price on some items
- Increased Daily XP Bonuses
- Fixed a bug which could result in being stuck in endless objectives
- Updated 3rd Party libraries
- Minor fixes