Fairway Solitaire by Big Fish Review
- The game defies initial expectations.
- With its animated cut-scenes and golf commentary, there is a great sense of humor on display.
- Deep gameplay off such a simple puzzle concept, and the content to back it up.
- They hook you with the first course set for free (not that entry is too expensive, but it's the principle).
This title has an incredible well of polish and content that sucks you in with its simple gameplay and doesn't let go. A must for fans of puzzle games, card games, and lovers of animated gophers.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
When starting up a game called Fairway Solitaire, the name suggests a lot. “OK”, you think. “Somehow they've combined solitaire with golf. This should be interesting”. Then you're hit with a cheerfully animated introduction about the age old war between golf and gophers before being thrown into a puzzle game with not only intriguing mechanics, but plenty of personality.
Not every course in this game (and there are many on offer) is eighteen holes, but the basic goal is the same. You want to finish each hole with a score of par or under. This is where the golf comparisons end and solitaire begins. Every hole has a layout of cards that are hiding stacks of other cards. Down the bottom you have your play stack and the hole is over once that stack has been used. The rules of solitaire have been changed a little as all you need to do to remove the cards on the field is tap cards that are either one higher or one lower than the card currently in your play stack. Each successive card you tap creates a chain combo and if you can fill the combo meter at the top of the screen before having to turn over the next play stack card, you gain a bonus of one thousand golf bucks!
Golf Bucks are the de facto currency in this world, buying you upgrades, but most importantly they can be used to supplement a combo that's run out of steam. Nowhere to go with your next move? Simply open up your golf bag, pay a nominal fee, choose the appropriate iron, and lo and behold, your combo continues, filled with new life. The game starts with only irons available, but additional clubs can be purchased as well.
Now Fairway Solitaire is a little insidious. The game is free, but it only includes the first course pack. The problem is that after playing the first pack, you'll easily pay the paltry fee to unlock the rest of the game. It's a good deal too, with countless courses to gain three stars on, a continuing narrative of an evil gopher told in animated cut-scenes, colorful commentators narrating your play, trophies and a whole host of unlocks, the content alone of this title is dizzying. Luckily it's based on a simple, clever, and addictive puzzle game. This one's easy to recommend.
Description#1 Solitaire game in the App Store for over 2 years! Play hundreds of hand-crafted golf holes and mini games with a golf announcer, hazard cards, and one SERIOUSLY ticked off gopher! Follow this hilariously sarcastic story of the gopher and his seething disdain for golfers. From beachside courses where palm trees sway, to the hustle and bustle of illuminated city courses, keep your eye on the prize because there is nowhere this gopher won’t follow you. Whether scoring a double bogey or an eagle, this hit will have you laughing so loud, you’ll forget to be quiet on the golf course!
• Winner of IGN’s 2012 People’s Choice Award for Best Mobile Board Game!
• “It might look like a straightforward card game on the surface but there’s much more to Fairway Solitaire thanks to its assured, inventive design. It’s hugely enjoyable, supremely polished strategic deck shuffler that should suit puzzle fans to a tee.” PocketGamer: 8/10
• “I’m totally engrossed…sheer mindless entertainment.” TouchArcade
• “One of the best designed games ever…” and “…so wonderfully fun it demands to be played!” Bill Harris of dubiousquality.blogspot.com
• “…an incredibly awesome puzzle game masquerading as solitaire.” Penny Arcade
• “It’s all smartly done…This game is the real deal, not just another boring free solitaire game for iPhone.” Kotaku App of the Day
• Play brand new solitaire boards every single day!
• Watch out for water, sand, and rough cards that test your skills!
• Play long streaks of cards to win bonuses!
• Show off your skills and fill up your trophy case!
• Wild shots can either make or break a terrific golf game.
• Find irons and Midas Clubs™ while you play and shoot a round under par.
• See where you rank in our Game Center leaderboards!
• Watch out for the pesky gopher!
Become a Facebook fan for more Fairway Solitaire fun and games (and McDivot’s crazy shenanigans)!
*** Discover more from Big Fish Games! ***
Big Fish is the leading global marketplace to discover and enjoy casual games. You can enjoy our virtually endless selection of games anytime, anywhere — on your PC, Mac, mobile phone, or tablet. Learn more at bigfishgames.com!
Having fun with Big Fish? Check out our entire game library with our Game Finder app! Dive in here:
Try out Big Fish Games' iSplash! newsletter and never miss a sale or new game again! Sign up at: http://bigfi.sh/isplash
Follow us on Twitter: http://bigfi.sh/BigFishTwitter
What's New in Version 1.14.1Big Fish Connect: Log in today to backup your game progress and earn free Golf Bucks to spend in-game!
Due to community feedback, we created a separate button for when you want to automatically refill your golf bag before every course. Refill as much or as little as you would like.
Also in this update:
• Unlocked content now available to all players (previously for premium players only)
- Exciting themed card backs
- Special Power ups
- Access all 78 regular courses and all trophies
• Now you can create a Big Fish ID without needing to authenticate with Facebook!
• Improved the gameplay experience in various course packs
• General bug fixes
Thanks for the continued support and feedback, and be sure to keep an eye out for more exciting updates!
If you like this game, please consider taking a moment to rate/review it.
Want more awesome games like this one? Check out http://bigfi.sh/bfggamefinder
Experiencing issues? Please visit http://bigfi.sh/ENHelp