Fieldrunners 2 Review
- Content unlock system feels genuinely rewarding; new towers/items no matter the difficulty you play at.
- AI improvements make them harder to exploit; strategic solutions emphasized over micromanagement.
- 'New' un-buildable locations make for better asymmetrical map design.
- No universal executable or iPad version currently available.
- No 'help' menu or detailed information on enemies/towers as they're unlocked; trial and error versus calculated .
Fieldrunners 2 keeps the best aspects of the original title while borrowing from its brethren to come up with a fantastically fine-tuned challenge that remains rewarding whether you take the easy route or bash your head against its harder challenges.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
When Fieldrunners by Subatomic Studios first launched, AppSpy wasn't even up and running. However, it was one of the very first to be reviewed and with good reason - Fieldrunners came to define the tower defense genre for touch devices, combining an open-layout system and grueling challenges that required players to design their mazes carefully to survive as long as possible.
Almost four years in the making, the sequel finally hits, but with plenty of regular updates to the original and more games in the genre than ever before, is the new game truly a worthy successor?
You would be forgiven for thinking you'd stumbled on to a HD remake - it's an easy mistake to make, but one that's quickly corrected as you delve in to the deep variety of campaign missions on offer. While the changes are light, they are also numerous and the end result is a game that proves it's still the best at what it does.
Your choice as to whether you play the game on easy, medium or hard will affect how quickly you gain access to new towers and power-ups - much of it you've seen before, but you'll also be limited in what you can take with you. Picking the right combination of towers and/or power-ups can be the difference between success or failure and that may be enough for most fans, but hardcore gamers aren't left out of the loop as the harder difficulties have been tweaked to require smarter strategic decisions instead of exploiting AI 're-routing' quirks.
This is a good thing too as the AI has received a significant boost in the intelligence department and are far more prone to 'spreading out', making it harder than ever to take out masses of enemies with poor tower placement. The inclusion of trenches, bridges and tunnels restricts your ability to build complex mazes - something that clearly identified the first title - and also opens up the game to all new asymmetrical map designs that pair perfectly with the different modes on offer.
For the score-junkies out there, you haven't been forgotten either, with 'combos' now affecting your final score and subsequently the amount of coins you can earn for replenishing your stock of power-ups. The combo and 'mega combo' can be triggered by dispatching as many enemies as you can in as short a time as you can, earning extra energy for your 'airstrike' ability in the process.
The game is gorgeous too. Players can zoom in and out on the detailed cartoonish world with ease, and no matter how many enemies are on screen there's little to no noticeable slow-down. It's only a shame the game didn't have a simultaneous iPad release to make use of the larger screen.
Fieldrunners 2 may not represent a huge leap forward for tower defense titles, but fans of the original and those looking to try the genre out for the first time have a lot to look forward to.
The fieldrunners are back! With legions of soldiers and a gaggle of new tricks, they’re ready to conquer the globe. Or so they think! Our top scientists at SubaLabs have built a bleeding-edge arsenal of devastating weapons for any heroes willing to stop these dastardly invaders. Help your people by taking action - DEFEND THE WORLD!
Strategic-Action-Puzzle-Defense has never been this fun and addicting! Defend your world from the invasion by building winding paths out of imaginative, new weapons. Call in airstrikes and set explosive traps to hit the enemies where it hurts. Over 20 new levels span the grassiest fields, driest deserts, sparkling cities, and even an infernal volcano lair! Challenge your mind with the exciting new gameplay styles in Puzzle, Sudden Death, and Time Trial levels. Are you ready to stop the fieldrunners once and for all? Join the defense now!
• Gorgeous artwork at full Retina resolution!
• Tons of levels - countless hours of action!
• 20 unique, upgradable weapons!
• Revolutionary AI with stunning realism!
• Pick the perfect weapons for each battle!
• Air strikes, mines, and powerful items!
• Refreshing game modes, which include Time Trial, Sudden Death, and Puzzle maps!
• Trenches, bridges, and tunnels!
• Elite enemies invade at the most unexpected times!
• iCloud support lets you transfer saves between your devices!
• A tower that launches bee hives!
• Kotaku - Gaming App of the Day
• GameTrailers - App of the Day
• G4TV - Best Mobile Games
• Macworld - Editors’ Choice
• 148Apps - Editor’s Choice
• Slide to Play - Game of the Month
• AppAdvice - Game of the Week
• Chicago Tribune - Game of the Week
• TUAW - App of the Day
• IGN: “One of the best iOS games of 2012”
• Penny Arcade: "This is a game that everyone needs to try"
• New York Times: "At last we have a sequel!"
• G4TV: “You need to download this game immediately”
• TouchArcade: “It will eat your soul and have you thanking it”
• CNET: “You will love this game”
• The Verge/Polygon: “One of the strongest TD games I’ve ever played”
• 148Apps: “The king of tower defense returns!”
• GamesBeat: “Innovating and redefining tower defense”
• Apple’N’Apps: “The best game we saw at E3”
CONTACT SUBATOMIC STUDIOS
• Twitter: @Fieldrunners
• Facebook: facebook.com/fieldrunners
• Web: subatomicstudios.com
• Forums: subatomicstudios.com/forum
• Tech Support: bugs[at]subatomicstudios.com
Everyone here at Subatomic Studios thanks you for playing! Please take a moment to rate Fieldrunners 2.
What's New in Version 1.8**What's New - v1.8**
• 3 wildly-challenging NEW maps!
• Each new level features a unique music track
• Fixed support for iCloud
• Multiple bug fixes and optimizations
• 1.7: New Boomkin tower promotion, bug fixes, back end updates
• 1.6: Bug Fixes, back end updates, iOS 7 support
• 1.5: Bug Fixes
• 1.4: Added new towers and holiday items
• 1.3: Bug Fixes and new Halloween weapons
• 1.2: Added IAP and new weapons
• 1.1: Added GameCenter and new levels
• 1.0: Launch!