The Infinity Project 2 Review
- Impressive variety of detailed environments.
- Sprawling storyline; while not deep, it provides more motivation than 'kill the aliens'.
- Online multiplayer with level based perk system.
- Disappointing combat; basic AI behavior and poor animations make combat dull.
- Constant need to load new areas.
- Poor UI design; cluttered, small or unclear buttons, and strange menu layouts with obtuse options.
Infinity Project 2 is more than you're usual run-and-gun title, and for some (especially fans of 90s PC-based FPS titles) it's a likely boon, but the lack of finesse in the small details makes it a hard game to appreciate.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Infinity Project 2 by Crazy Robot Games is an ambitious title - it's clear from even the briefest of time spent in their first-person shooter that it's the culmination of a huge body of effort from a small developer. Let it not be said that the depth of content on offer is unappreciated, however, it's hard not to feel a little disappointed with the way it's presented.
You continue your quest from the previous title, fighting against the Talon who have used a time-space portal to invade Earth in the past, thus securing their victory. You follow in their footsteps, hoping to crush the Talon army before it gains a stronghold. Unfortunately you arrive too late and now you face not only an alien menace, but also fellow humans that seek to exploit the situation for their gain.
There's a distinct 'old school' appeal to Infinity Project 2 as it seeks to replace the Adventure and RPG elements that sought to flesh out the rather brainless 'first-person shooter' genre. As such you're presented with four starting 'perks' in the form of colored suits - each granting bonuses that will assist you in your play. There's the usual basic assortment of weapons to find and add to your collection, however you'll be keeping your eyes out for mysterious 'blue cases' that contain temporary power-ups that can be deployed at your leisure. Need to get by a patrol? Activate a cloak. Odds stacked against you? Pop a shield and increase your weapon damage to 'Hulk-out'.
It's not all run-and-gun though as the game presents itself more as an adventure title, nudging you towards new areas through character dialogues and regularly updating mission requirements. Instead of beating your way through an endless series of linear corridors, the game uses a pseudo-open environment, with central locations and areas that unlock as you progress. This does come with a down-side though as you'll find yourself constantly running in to doors, grates and other barriers that force you to load new areas.
Unfortunately the litany of disappointments doesn't end there. The controls have a stiff initial feel to them (not to mention a cluttered interface) and while customization options are available, they're obtuse and fiddly to fine-tune. Thankfully you'll not have to worry too much about aiming as the AI proves to be fairly dull, filing through doors in single-file or getting stuck on objects in the environment. Lastly, the animations lack a sense of weight as enemies simply crumble after being shot and seemingly ignore the bullets being poured in to them.
It's true that the graphics are rough around the edges, but the highly detailed texturing attempts to take over where realistic shapes and bump-mapping fail to create said detail.
In aiming so high it's clear that some corners had to be inevitably cut, however it's in these details that a game goes from being deep, but adequate to exquisite in execution and a near impossible game to put down. As it is Infinity Project 2 is a great romp for old-school gamers after a game that may well have found a home on PCs in the late 90s, but if the run-and-gun style is what you crave you'll find this game lacking.
DescriptionHappy Easter!! All of our games are now on sale!!
Stop the evil Talon High Commander from destroying Earth and enslaving mankind.
Check out our awesome game Trailer on our website! www.crazyrobotgames.com
What People are saying:
- "Incredible!!!- Its Like Fallout And Mass effect had a baby."
- "AWESOME-graphics are awesome... Story mode is huge.... Fun free roam, cool weapons.... This game is my top 1"
- "WOW- This game is surprisingly amazing and cool. The graphics are great, the humor is funny and the gameplay is smooth and different...Its a brand new style game which i have never come across before in my gaming life and i would recommend to everyone its amazing."
The Infinity Project 2 is a new kind of First Person Shooter game with elements of free roam and linear game play blended to create a deep and interactive story.
An evil alien race called the Talon’s have time traveled from the year 2243 to sometime in Earth’s past and drastically changed Human history. You must follow them and investigate when this happened to try to stop them. Along the way you find out humans may not be the innocent victims in this galactic battle for survival!
Fight through different environments and times, battle your friends online with Game Center or Local WiFi and Bluetooth, or try your skill with 10 levels of survival mode. Post your high scores and achievements to Facebook and Twitter!
You will be thrown into a battle for survival not only for yourself, but for all of mankind that spans thousands of years. Stop the invasion of Earth before all is lost.
The Infinity Project 2 features 3 game modes full of action.
1) CAMPAIGN MODE: an exciting campaign and engaging story.
- Choose from 8 characters to play and 4 enhanced Human Augmentation Suits (HAS) each with its own special ability.
- Explore and fight through a Post Apocalyptic earth, alien space ship, destroyed space station and more, all with astounding visuals.
- Search for and use unique perks to temporarily enhance your HAS Suit abilities such as run faster, cloak, shields, and more.
- Earn experience points and trophies to compare with your friends on Game Center.
- Earn additional trophies and perks by completing side-missions.
- Investigate how Earth’s history was changed and battle through different times that span thousands of years!
2) SURVIVAL MODE: 10 unlockable survival levels.
- Battle countless waves of enemies to see how long you can survive while gaining credits to spend in the armory to buy perks, more ammo, different weapons, and better armor.
- Earn experience points to compare with your friends on Game Center.
- Unlock levels as you increase in experience.
3) MULTIPLAYER: battle your friends with 5 levels of multiplayer fun.
- Increase in rank as you gain experience to unlock perks and better armor.
- Battle up to 4 players on Game Center and 6 players with local/bluetooth.
- Compare experience points with your friends on Game Center.
NOTE to iPod Touch 3rd Gen users:
The Infinity Project 2 may not run on this device due to large memory requirements.
Visit our webpage for more screenshots, videos, Contests, updates, and announcements! www.crazyrobotgames.com
Join our Facebook page for updates and announcements!
What's New in Version 1.3.1- Fix a major issue that caused the app to crash on startup.
- Performance updates.