Shark Dash Review
- Beautiful visual design; 3D with interactive elements.
- Clever puzzle designs; subtle changes in your approach are the difference between a 1 and a 3 star attempt.
- Optional IAP; can be used to unlock 'upgraded' characters or the ability to 'rewind' the last move you made.
- 'Missions' little more than rewards for repeated actions.
- Usual concerns with physics-based games; aiming line helps to smooth things out, but still subject to random outcomes.
If you've finished the last cute-physics-3-star title to grace your iOS device, make Shark Dash your next purchase; if nothing else, it's worth it for the adorable presentation and cunningly designed levels that keep you coming back for more.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
After first learning about Shark Dash, one thought pinged around my mind, 'I wonder who developed this game for Chillingo/Clickgamer'... after a double-take I realized I was dealing with a Gameloft title and my world promptly fell on its head. All of this may sound melodramatic, but gamers have long come to terms with the App Store's cliches, though if Shark Dash proves anything it's that Gameloft has the chops to produce fresh and addictive games.
You should know the basic formula by now - three stars, cute characters, physics based world with a flick/catapult control system. Shark Dash's spin on things puts you in control of a variety of sharks, each sporting a unique ability ranging from cutting chains to scuba-diving. Your goal is to eat all of the Raving Rabbid-like duckies that have invaded your home turf (various baths from around the world), triggering complex Rube-Goldberg-like sequences to get a perfect score.
Stars are tied to specific requirements, with the first star awarded for completing a level (destroying all the duckies), while the second and third require you to stick to a minimum amount of flicks and collecting all the coins respectively. Of course these stars are used to unlock levels, but replaying a level is almost never dull as the act of bouncing around your shark is fun and amusing all on its own.
You see, each stage features a variety of tunnels, explosives, and a number of other ways to manipulate the environment. In order to get the best score you'll need to set up a precise chain of events that will have your shark bouncing back and forth, squeaking and chomping as he goes. Better still, later levels will introduce the use of multiple sharks, adding a further risk of ending the stage too early if your solution places one of them in danger.
One thing that has rarely been in question is the visual presentation of Gameloft's games and this is no exception with the game featuring small touches that breathe life in to its world. Moving your iDevice will change the perspective slightly, emphasizing its clean 3D design, while shaking the device will create waves (and cause the characters to react in an amusing way). It's touches like this that show the strength of the iOS device as an interactive platform.
Shark Dash is a much needed breath of fresh air from a developer/publisher that has spent much of the last year dabbling in rehashed freemium titles. It's still sitting firmly within what could be called the 'safe zone' of a popular genre, but its complexity and charming presentation make it a fun way to spend your afternoon. With any luck we'll see more games like this from Gameloft in the future.
DescriptionDefend your bathtub from the evil dimwitted invading duckies! Launch Sharkee and his rubbery friends towards the floating duckies in this funtastic physics puzzle game!
Sharkee and his merry band of toy sharks were living happily in the bathtub. That is, until a bunch of mischievous ducks came along to ruin their peaceful little world. These cheaply made rubber duckies are a little loopy from the chemicals they were made of, and now they’re teasing the sharks, playing pranks like they own the place! Join a wild journey in bathtubs around the world and get rid of the dimwitted ducks!
BATH TIME HAS NEVER BEEN THIS FUN
• Amazingly accessible gameplay: Simply drag and release the shark’s tail with your finger to launch him at the ducks!
• To score points, dispose of the ducks, grab all the coins and finish each level by using the fewest jumps possible!
• Not happy with your last shot? Undo it and try it again!
A WILD JOURNEY IN BATHTUBS ALL OVER THE WORLD
• Make your way through tons of levels!
• Visit 4 different environments, from ancient Rome to distant Japan!
• Tear through a streak of stages to earn big points to dominate the leaderboards
MEET THE MOST ADORABLE BAND OF BATH TOYS:
• Sharkee, the hero and fearless leader of the merry band of plastic sharks
• Sawy, whose incredible saw nose can cut chains and drop heavy objects on those dastardly ducks
• Hammy, who uses his jumping Slash skill to leap through the air and hit ducks from incredible angles
• Scuby, Sharkee’s twin brother, a calm and meditative toy who likes to swim through the watery depths, taking out duckies wherever they hide
Grab enough coins and you can upgrade the appearance of your sharks with cool new skins!
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
What's New in Version 1.1.1Shark Dash is now completely FREE and comes with a new challenge-streak level progression! Beat as many levels as possible in one streak and climb the Leaderboard!
- Our faithful Shark Dash players will get a gift of 10,000 Coins to help them rise in the rankings!
- Game engine and user interface optimized.
- Revive or earn Coins by watching videos.
- PLEASE NOTE: With the new challenge-streak level progression in this update, players can no longer select from any level.