- Refreshingly unique puzzler; cute premise, easy to pick up with a real bite to its later challenges.
- Scaling difficulty offset by upgradable 'skills'; makes it easier to complete earlier levels with 'perfect' scores.
- Swipe to cut controls inconsistent. Difficulty scaling inconsistent at times.
Ka-Bloom is elegant in its simplicity, but don't be fooled by its pretty appearance... it's a challenging puzzler ready to suck you in as well.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Ka-Bloom by Strongman Games and BBC Worldwide is a strange sort of puzzler. There's a very logical solution to almost all of its puzzles, but there's also a free-form element to its play that lends itself to a naturalistic, almost intuitive approach as well. In short, hardcore or casual, Ka-Bloom is a lot of fun.
At its most basic level, you need to feed Floret a stream of various tokens to provide enough energy to explode. These tokens can only be grabbed once Floret's aura is large enough to reach them, though you have a few tricks up your sleeve to make life easier. Firstly, tokens can be chained together, dragging others along with them. Secondly, these chains can also be linked together, creating large combos that clear the screen with relative ease.
It's not all that easy though - 'negative' tokens will reduce the size of Floret's aura, making it hard to finish the stage with enough energy; and the seemingly helpful 'heart' token will slowly continue to increase the aura, filling it up too fast if you're not careful.
Another less commonly used feature available to players is the ability to swipe and cut links made to create different chains. Sadly creating a link or cutting one is often registered incorrectly - this can be especially frustrating later in the game when you've unlocked larger chains and links, leaving you with remainders you didn't expect.
None-the-less, Ka-bloom is a refreshingly unique puzzler and one that deserves being checked out if you're after something aside from the usual physics-based titles dominating the App Store.
CRITICS EVERYWHERE LOVE KA-BLOOM! POCKET GAMER AWARDED AND UNIVERSALLY PRAISED
"...a puzzling experience the likes of which you won't find anywhere else on the App Store." (Harry Slater, Pocket Gamer)
"Psychedelic Star Flowers Never Looked So Good...a vivid puzzle game that is easy to grasp, but difficult to master. You’ll need quick fingers to chain these gems together." (Daniel Douvris, App Advice)
"Ka-Bloom is elegant in its simplicity, but don't be fooled by its pretty appearance... it's a challenging puzzler ready to suck you in as well." (Andrew Nesvadba, AppSpy)
"After a pretty long time, the app store now has a puzzler that combines jaw dropping visuals and colorful graphics with some intriguing levels that are nothing short of brain teasers!" (App Croc)
"...What begins as a simple game blossoms into something intricate and complex..." (Simon Parkin, Hookshot Inc)
Ka-Bloom is a colourful, psychedelic physics-based puzzle game about eating, growing and blooming. Chain together tasty gems and feed the ever-hungry Floret, an infinitely cute flower-like creature that brings warmth and life to the cosmos.
• Touch gems and draw chains with your finger to complete levels with the highest possible score.
• Addictive combo system, hotlink multiple chains together to increase points.
• Highly replayable, some levels can be finished simply but will take thought and strategy to earn all three stars
• Spend your stars on upgrades and experiment to find the best approach for every level
• 56 levels provide a great deal of depth and variety with multiple different mechanics learnt along the way.
• Game Center achievements. OpenFeint achievements and leaderboards.
Support: [email protected]
What's New in Version 1.0.1-Improved performance across all devices
-New app icon