Heroes and Castles Review
- Third person perspective puts you right in the castle defense action.
- Plenty of options available for towers, units, and attacks.
- Controls are kind of clunky.
- Combat lacks a visceral oomph to it.
- After the first couple levels, the difficulty takes a sharp turn upwards.
For those looking for something a little different in a hero defense title, Heroes and Castles will send you right in the battlefield to unleash carnage while still giving you the tactics of units and towers the genre is known for.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The castle defense genre along with its sister, the tower defense genre was one of the first big run-away hits on the iOS, thanks to the popularity of games like Knights on-rush. Heroes and Castles is cut from the same cloth, but like a lot of popular PC defense titles released in the last couple years, it has understood that gameplay can be a lot more exciting if the player is getting down and dirty alongside all its units and towers. That is the crux of the gameplay here as you pick a hero, spend your gold on units and buildings, keep your walls repaired... all the while running around smacking enemies in the face.
Your hero is controlled from a third person perspective. An analogue stick has you running around while sliding your finger elsewhere will control the camera. All your attack options (starting out with just a general attack) will take up the left side of the screen, and with a melee class like the Paladin, there is a satisfying thunk swinging your mace into a crowd of skeletons, knocking them over. The arc of your weapon and the hit-boxes of your enemy are rather exact though, and you have to make sure you're positioned right once the attack animation starts. It's very easy to miss an attack and then not being able to react towards an incoming attack.
The rest of the game plays like classic overview castle defense. You have gold to buy units and buildings. Building larger gold mines will increase this intake, but once you get started laying into the enemy, cash flow shouldn't be too much of a concern. In between levels you gain crystals to spend on upgrading your purchasables, and when your hero levels up, he has skill points to spend on new abilities and increasing stats. Of course crystals can be bought via in-app purchase, but it never feels like a necessity. One thing that should be mentioned however is that after the first couple levels, it becomes imperative on how you spend your money. It can be very easy to be overrun, and if you aren't prepared for the incoming onslaught, restarting may be your best option.
Heroes and Castles does do a good job of making the incoming waves of enemies more exciting by allowing you to partake in the battle on a personal level. Yes the controls are a little clunky, and the difficulty curve ramps up quickly, but strategy and action fans alike should find something to enjoy in this title.
DescriptionThe Undead Horde and their Orc and Goblin allies are at your castle gates, the King is on the brink of death, and only you stand between the enemy and complete annihilation! Choose one of many powerful heroes, summon an army to fight beside you, and defend your castle in Heroes & Castles, a seamless blend of 3rd person Action-RPG, Strategy, and Castle Defense elements!
CASTLE DEFENSE, STRATEGY, AND ACTION-RPG GAMEPLAY!
Take to the battlefield in an immersive 3rd person perspective, summon entire armies to fight beside you, and defend your castle to the death! Fight in the middle of a huge battle that you control!
UNIQUE, POWERFUL HEROES!
Level up, learn new skills and abilities, find randomized Runes and loot, and destroy your enemies with one of many unique heroes!
SUMMON HUGE ARMIES TO FIGHT BESIDE YOU!
Summon Dwarves, Archers, Pikemen, Giants, Catapults, Mages and much more to aid you in your defense! Watch them battle the enemy right beside you!
BUILD AND UPGRADE YOUR CASTLE!
Build Towers, upgrade your castle walls, and build buildings to upgrade your units!
2 PLAYER COOPERATIVE MULTIPLAYER!
Team up with a random ally or one of your friends and compete in the GameCenter leader boards!
TONS OF ENEMIES TO BATTLE!
Fight against dozens of enemies on screen at once, from hordes of the Undead, to Orcs, Goblins, Ghouls, Siege Wagons, Trolls, Catapults, Mummies, and more!
ADVANCED GRAPHICS AND TONS OF FEATURES!
Incredible mobile graphics and lighting, iCloud saving, full iPhone 5 widescreen display support, and much more!
Search for Heroes & Castles on Youtube for awesome gameplay footage!
Visit the forums at http://heroesandcastlesforum.com for all your Heroes and Castles questions, answers and discussion!
Follow us on Twitter @FoursakenMedia or like us on Facebook for more Heroes & Castles news!
What's New in Version 3.0Our biggest update yet!!
• FREE new female hero added: Assassin - Sneak in, kill the enemy, and sneak out!
• New hero added: Barbarian - Get in the fray and build your strength to untold levels!
• New hero added: Druid - Use the power of nature to support your allies and destroy the enemy!
• New campaign added, complete with new environment and several new enemies to battle! (Note: You must complete the first campaign to unlock the new one)
• New co-op and versus map to battle on!
• New ally units! Destroy the enemy with a Dwarven Tank, hit long range targets with the Hunter, hold the line with armored Dwarven foot soldiers, or achieve victory with the powerful magic of 2 new Wizard classes!
• 3 powerful new upgrade levels for units and buildings! Take your units to new levels to match your high level heroes!
• Dynamic, real time shadows added to high gen devices for even better graphics!
• New achievements!
• Evil units in versus mode now scale up slightly along with the the Evil hero, to help compensate for additional Good unit upgrades
• Lowered RAM usage on 512 meg devices (iPad 2/iPad Mini, iPhone 4/4s, etc), reducing crashing in Siege and Multiplayer
• Balance fixes and small tweaks
• Minor bug fixes