Fetch™ iPad Review
- Packed to bursting with interactive elements; though mostly empty in their purpose, they give the world an intense richness that's lacking in so many other adventure games.
- Heart warming storyline; finding and rescuing a lost dog is easy to empathize with no matter your age.
- Extremely fun and novel mini-games littered throughout the game; most are even replayable on demand.
- No real peaks in challenge; there's a distinct difficulty curve, but nothing taxing.
- Backtracking can become a chore at times.
Fetch is an adventure title that knows its audience is quite young, but still manages to remain appealing to all ages thanks to its richly designed set pieces and novel series of mini-games.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Let me start this review by removing those of you who can't get past a game having a low level of challenge - Fetch is aimed at younger audiences, and as such you're not going to find the 'hardcore' experience you may expect of all games. With that said, Fetch by Big Fish Games is the gaming equivalent of a Dreamworks or Pixar movie: despite being designed for younger audiences, adults aren't left out of the equation either thanks to the wonderful story that pulls on your heart strings.
The game ostensibly feels and plays out like an Adventure title, providing a series of point-and-tap interactive screens where light puzzle solving will help you to proceed. However the game quickly offers up an entirely alternative means for progression through the inclusion of brief, but fun 'Flash'-like arcade games that reward the player with items needed to move along the storyline. Once completed the games can be played at any time for the sake of it, though every now and then the game also throws in a mini-game with more of a puzzle edge to it to keep your brain from switching off entirely.
Not that this is a problem thanks to the insane level of detail that has gone in to the presentation of every single screen you encounter. Tap a sign in the background and it may light up, buzz a bit, and return to its neutral state; bubbles will pop under your finger; and trees and bushes will sway. It doesn't add to the game in a meaningful way other than by providing a novel distraction, but it does give the game a richness that pairs well with the game's delightful cartoon visuals.
For those worried that the game is 'too easy', 'hard' modes are available in some of the arcade games, giving you at least a little bit of a run for your money.
Still, you'll marvel as each new area provides you with a wealth of distractions, giving you all the motivation you need to plow your way through to the end of the game's all-too-brief storyline. And it's a beautiful tale too (also one worth sharing with your children if they're age appropriate), making it an easy title to recommend.
Description*Apple Editors' Choice award in 25 countries!*
“…an immensely satisfying title with all of the heart of a Pixar film and the interactivity of an old-school adventure game from the days of Sierra.”
--John Llewellyn Martin, ArcadeSushi
"You could search the iTunes app store for days and not come close to finding a game with the charm and polish of Big FishGames' Fetch. It's an animated movie come to life, an adventure riddled with arcade action wrapped around a warm beating heart. It's the story of a boy and his dog."
-- Mike Fahey, Kotaku
“You’d be hard pressed to find another mobile game with the charm and polish of Fetch.”
-- New York Times
----- Features -----
• Battle hilarious aliens; discover a prehistoric ocean; build a robot; pilot a rocket ship, and more!
• Discover arcade-style games like Rainbow Snake Time and Pier Pressure; then compete for the highest score with family and friends!
• Captivating characters bring a timeless “tail” to life!
• Dive in to a living animated world
• Rescue furry friends and unravel the mystery of who’s behind the disappearances of the world’s WOOF!
• Need help? Find the Fetch walkthrough here:
•Follow Bear and friends on Facebook and Twitter!
--FETCH Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fetchthegame
--FETCH Twitter: Twitter.com/embarkinc
--Official Website: http://fetchthegame.com/
How far would you go to save your pet? Follow a young boy on a sensational journey like no other as he sets off to rescue his dog Bear from a mysterious fire hydrant that snatched the canine in the night!
Big Fish Studios is proud to present Fetch, an adventure tale that will warm your heart and keep you glued to the screen! One part interactive animation, one part childhood delight, equal parts adventure and arcade, Fetch captures the timeless emotion of puppy love and takes you on a journey through dark tunnels and sandy shores to save your best friend. Do you have what it takes to save Bear? Prepare yourself for a wild ride filled with wagging tails and boisterous barks!
Fetch the Game is now on exhibit at the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle!
--- More from Big Fish! ---
Sign up for Big Fish's iSplash newsletter to keep up-to-date on sales and new promotions here: http://bigfi.sh/isplash
Big Fish is the leading global marketplace to discover and enjoy casual games. You can enjoy our virtually endless selection of games anytime, anywhere — on your PC, Mac, mobile phone, or tablet. Learn more at bigfishgames.com!
What's New in Version 1.0.1In this update:
• "Skip" feature added to Galactic FIDO
• Fixes to final score calculations, reported progression blocks from Pirate Arcade and Landing chapters, as well as reported crashes that occurred when the Website link was opened.
• Addition of widescreen support
• Optimizations to game functionality
Thanks for your continued feedback and support! Rest assured that if one of our games is in need of an update, we'll get it to you just as soon as possible. Happy gaming!