- Silhouetted stages make it easy to keep track of what's coming up; lets you focus on solving puzzles before they arrive, keeping the flow of play smooth.
- Elegant one-touch controls; gameplay given depth by various power-ups and their combination with the complex world and its machinery.
- Local multiplayer makes for an amusing and off-beat bonus.
- Occasional 'gotcha' moments and finely-tuned timing/control sections break the player immersion; removing agency without warning breaks the player's trust in the design of each stage.
BADLAND doesn't simply look pretty, it's an absolute treat to play as well as you guide flocks of disturbing creatures through a labyrinth of hazards in an attempt to uncover the secret behind its strange pseudo-mechanized world.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If my arm was twisted and I had to describe BADLAND by Frogmind as quickly as possible, I'd describe it as a darker and even more disturbing take on the Lemmings concept, but with flying Furbies. It's not perfect, but game doesn't exactly jive with conventions as you throw caution to the wind and smash, stab, crush, and slice hundreds of clones in an attempt to reach the all-important exit tube.
And you'll do it all with nothing more than a single finger.
By tapping or holding, you'll cause your little creature to flap its wings and move forward. All you need to do is to get to the end of the stage with one creature in-tact, but this grossly underestimates the challenge ahead as you face explosive plants; crushing platforms; spinning blades; rotating gears; mine-deploying guns; and even mechanized spikes ready to pierce anything that comes near them.
In order to survive you'll need to change and adapt - something that is made easy thanks to various power-ups that modify the physical properties of your creature. These range from something as simple as modifying its size and weight, to far stranger changes including changing how sticky or bouncy it is and even turning in to a near invincible 'square' shape.
However, this isn't enough either - many of the obstacles throw out hazards at you in such quick succession, that one creature would find it entirely impossible to survive. As such, the last trick up your sleeve is the ability the 'clone' your creature, with every single one synchronizing to your taps and holds perfectly. This means you can solve some puzzles with a sheer mass of numbers, while in others you can take two, to even three different directions at the same time.
It's so easy to find yourself lost in the flow of a stage as you eye up the next silhouetted area for the power-ups you need (and any traps the game is trying to spring on you). Occasionally this is broken up by an unforgiving 'gotcha!' moment, but it doesn't occur enough to ruin the otherwise incredible experience of finishing the game.
And did we mention it has up to four-player local multiplayer? Up to 12 stages can be unlocked for players to race to see who can survive the longest. It's manic and extremely fun, though definitely better suited to the iPad and not the extremely tiny iPhone screen.
Better still, those who can't get enough of BADLAND can try to complete up to three missions per stage, with requirements including collecting all the power-ups on the stage, to finishing with multiple clones.
BADLAND is, quite simply, a solid and very unique experience. The atmosphere of its pseudo-techno infused world makes it foreboding and is further emphasized by the understated sound design and music. This is a title that feels right at home on the iOS platform, and is a real treat for those sick of the endless series of clones dominating the App Store.
DescriptionFly and survive through the Game of the Year -winning action adventure BADLAND.
Over 30 MILLION players and counting! #1 GAME in 83 countries!
App Store iPad GAME OF THE YEAR!
WINNER of the Apple Design Award!
Apple Editors' Choice worldwide!
5/5 - AppSmile - "A standout game"
4/4 - Slide to Play - "A must-download"
5/5 - AppSpy - "An absolute treat to play"
5/5 - Apple’N'Apps - "One of the best games"
9/10 - Destructoid - "A hallmark of excellence"
4.5/5 - TouchArcade - "Easy to recommend"
“BADLAND is a standout game that we can’t stop playing.” -- AppSmile
“BADLAND’s unique gameplay and atmosphere make it a must-download.” -- Slide to Play
“BADLAND doesn’t simply look pretty, it’s an absolute treat to play.” -- AppSpy
“One of the best experiences on iOS.” -- Apple’N'Apps
“A hallmark of excellence.” -- Destructoid
App Store iPad GAME OF THE YEAR
WINNER of the Apple Design Award
WINNER of the Nordic Indie Sensation Award at Nordic Game
WINNER of the Best Project at Game Connection Europe
WINNER of the SCEE Award at Game Connection Europe
WINNER of the Best Game - Arcade & Action at the Tabby Awards
Selected Indie Game at PAX 10
Editors' Choice in Macworld
BADLAND is an award-winning atmospheric side-scrolling action adventure platformer set in a gorgeous forest full of various inhabitants, trees and flowers. Although the forest appears to be right out of a beautiful fairy tale, there’s something terribly wrong. The player controls one of the forest dwellers to find out what’s going on, and discovers an astonishing number of imaginative traps and obstacles on the way.
BADLAND takes side-scrollers to the next level with its innovative physics-based gameplay combined with stunning, atmospheric graphics and audio.
BADLAND also features a highly original local multiplayer mode for up to four players on the same device, where the name of the game is survival of the fittest with no rules. It’s totally OK to push your rivals in front of spinning circular saws to survive. Or, if that's too rough for you, you can also cooperate with your friends and play the modified single player campaign with up to four players.
- SINGLE PLAYER campaign with 100+ truly unique levels
- VERSUS mode for up to four players on the same device in 30+ levels
- COOPERATIVE mode for up to four players
* Survive the modified single player campaign with your friends
- LEVEL EDITOR: Create levels, share & play!
* Start from scratch or modify the official levels
- LEVEL WORLD: New levels to play all the time
* Discuss with the other level makers, share tips and watch level making tutorials at http://forum.badlandgame.com
- Intuitive one-touch controls combined with innovative level design
- Supports 3D Touch
* Super precise flying using touch
* Quick actions added to home screen icon to quickly access single player and editor
- Highly immersive audiovisual gaming experience
- Universal app optimized for iPhones, iPods and iPads
- iCloud support (player's game progress is synced with all linked iOS devices)
- iOS 7 Game Controller support
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/badlandgame
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/badlandgame
Blog - http://www.badlandgame.com
What's New in Version 3.3- Eternal Day now has a selection of 40 of the best of the best levels. They feature creativity, playfulness and thinking outside the box to create something new and interesting within the BADLAND mechanics.
- Since introducing the level editor, we have chosen one out of the 2000+ levels made each week and added it to this third official day called Eternal Day
- The update celebrates all of you who have made great levels to BADLAND Level World and especially those who have gone to great lengths to introduce something ambitious, new, unique and fun that made it all the way into the best of the best. Thank you!
- Go check out the crazy levels from Eternal Day!
- Bug fixes included in the update:
* Editor: Linker now works properly with Clony
* Fixed some impossible missions in Coop
* A bunch of smaller fixes
Huge thanks for creating already more than 70 000 levels (and counting) and for all your feedback and support!