Despicable Me: Minion Rush Review
- Crisp graphics.
- Solid running with varied environments.
- Boss battles spice things up.
- Some may find the visuals a bit overwhelming.
- Nagging in-app purchase prompts.
- Essentially just another endless-runner.
Though it's yet another IAP-packed endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush is a perfectly serviceable movie tie-in.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Temple Run has a lot to answer for. Since the monumental success of the 3D auto-runner, it has become the default template for developers looking to score an accessible, family-friendly hit.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush is the latest Gameloft movie tie-in to follow this trend. You take control of one of Gru's yellow helpers, whom you must direct left and right, up, and down towards collectable bananas, and away from oncoming hazards.
If you've ever played an endless runner, you know exactly where you stand with Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Occasionally, you'll run in to a boss battle. These usually involve dodging projectiles, and then turning them against your enemy. The camera will sometimes shift perspective, too, which initially caught us off-guard. There are also moments when you'll need to use your accellerometer to steer your yellow buddy down a chute. These variables keep you on your toes, although they interfere with the flow a little.
Gameloft has clearly done a lot ensure the game is visually interesting. The graphics are crisp and detailed, with the screen is constantly full of interest and activity. If anything, the frenetic visuals are a tad overwhelming, walking a fine line between dazzling and dizzying.
The actual running is very solid, though. As you would hope, your minion does what exactly what you tell it to. Hazards are varied, switching according to the ever changing environments. You can spend collected bananas on costumes, and power-ups such as freeze rays and shields. There's also a premium gold currency which you can pay real for. Unfortunately, the game is a bit pushy when it comes to squeezing you for upgrades, flashing at least two products at you after every run.
All in all, it's a very glossy example of the genre. I does feel a bit like the devs have thrown everything at the wall to ensure at least something sticks. Kids and fans of the film will likely enjoy the novelty of stepping to the Despicable Me universe. The rest of us might the exhuberant visuals a bit much to take. By all means give it a go, just don't come to us when your eyeballs have melted into yellow goo.
DescriptionOVER 900 MILLION PLAYERS HAVE FELT THE MINION RUSH. NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO JOIN THIS MEMORABLY DESPICABLE ADVENTURE!
Strap on your running shoes and join the award-winning, fan-favourite runner, Minion Rush. Enter Gru's Lair, discover its many mysterious rooms, and take on manic missions around the world. Along the way, your Minions will jump, roll and dodge obstacles while unlocking a collection of cool Minion costumes.
RUN WITH YOUR FAVOURITE MINIONS
• Begin your run as the beloved Minion Dave and race through exciting, fast-paced missions.
• As you collect more Costume Cards, unlock other running Minions such as Carl, Jerry and Mel.
• Discover and navigate different themed Rooms, each leading to unique, fun runner missions or game events.
• Complete each Room’s missions to unlock prizes and uncover more fun Rooms to run through.
AMAZING COSTUMES TO COLLECT
• Unlock dozens of cool and unique Minion costumes, with new ones added regularly.
• Collect Costume Cards as you run to unlock disguises such as the Surfer, Ninja, Lucy and many more.
• Each Costume has special skills, power-ups, and a dash of style to help your Minion accomplish their despicable missions.
• Run across stunning 3D game environments inspired by locations from the Despicable Me movies. Feel the rush as your Minions dash through Bratt's Lair, the Anti-Villain League, Egyptian Pyramids and many more.
Don't Forget: Minion Rush is the only mobile runner game packed with ALL THE FUN OF THE DESPICABLE ME MOVIES!
You can download and play this game for free. Please be informed that it also allows you to play using virtual currency, which can be acquired as you progress through the game, or by deciding to watch certain advertisements, or by paying with real money. In-app purchases range from £0.79 to £39.99. You can disable in-app purchases by adjusting your device’s settings.
Languages: English, Arabic, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
An additional download of 50 to 150 MB is required to play this game. Please note the size of this required download may change without notice.
The game requires an Internet connection (3G or Wi-Fi) for download and updates, and other features including playing with friends, making in-app purchases and watching advertisements.
Certain aspects of this game, such as collaborating with, playing against or sharing in-game items with other players will require the player to connect to a social network like Facebook or Game Center. Please note this connection is never compulsory to progress through the game. These features may be disabled in certain countries.
This game may contain third-party advertisements that will redirect you to a third-party site. You can disable your device’s ad identifier being used for interest-based advertising in the settings menu of your device. This option can be found in Settings -> Privacy -> Advertising.
Find out more about the game on the official site -- http://www.minionrush.com/
Follow us on Facebook at http://gmlft.co/MinionRush_FB and on Instagram at http://gmlft.co/MinionRush_IN
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://gmlft.co/MinionRush_YT
Visit our official site at http://gmlft.co/website_EN
Check out the new blog at http://gmlft.co/central
Don't forget to follow us on social media:
End-User License Agreement: http://www.gameloft.com/en-gb/eula
What's New in Version 6.2.1MERRY CHRISTMAS! Celebrate the season with more Missions for your Minions.
- Bratt’s back and spreading bad gifts. We gotta get rid of ‘em NOW in a new Special Mission!
- Run through a delightfully decorated Christmas Lab to collect Bratt Pack, Floppy Disk and Trouble Gum collectibles.
- Look for a second Special Mission coming around New Year’s, and take the battle to Bratt.
DON YOUR NEW APPAREL
- Treat yourself to an early Christmas present with the new CODER Costume!
Minor bugs fixed.