Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage HD Review
- An inventive combination of physics mechanics.
- Beautifully presented.
- Vikings characters are surprisingly entertaining.
- Levels demand to be revisited.
- God powers only available via IAP.
Bursting with clever level design and creativity, this physics-puzzler is a cut above the competition.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Physics puzzlers: there's a ton of 'em about. One's got birds in. It's quite popular. Now there's another one. It's got some birds in too. But mostly ice. Ice and Vikings. And birds. It's called Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage. We think its dead good. Here's why.
Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage is like a really good sandwich. It provides you with a nourishing core, surrounded by a bunch of easily digestible, but thoroughly satisfying layers.
At its frosty heart, it's a game about slicing ice. Having been scattered to the wind by... some wind, your viking comrades are in need of rescue. Naturally, this task has fallen to you and your chop-happy fingers. To guide your bearded buddies onto the awaiting ship, you must bend the chilly environment to your will. Your primary trick is swipe through blocks of ice. Cut it at the right angle, and the ice mass will break apart and begin to slide - hopefully in the direction of the rescue ship.
Once you've mastered this interplay of ice, gradients, and gravity, the game starts introducing other variables. Man-eating trolls appear, ready to chow down on passing warriors. With the trolls comes levels coated in a sticky snot-like substance. This goo will stop sliding ice in its tracks, but can be detached with a quick swipe. Before long, you'll be harnessing the winged power of birds to reunite your Scandinavian gang.
Though we've seen the cutting mechanic before in other physics puzzlers, developer Nitrome has used it in a really creative way. What's more, when the other elements come into play (trolls, birds, water etc.) you'll have to really flex your lateral thinking muscles to come up with a solution.
To unlock levels, you must to complete each stage within a set number of swipes. This 'par' system forces you to be extra cautious in order to maximise the effect of every slice.
You can also buy so-called 'God powers' via in-app purchases. Though not essential, powers like the God Finger (which lets you drag a viking freely around the screen) make it far easier to complete certain levels. You can only get them by spending money, though, which we think is a bit a shame.
However, the game's inventive puzzles, handsome quasi-retro art style, and surprisingly amusing scripting render this IAP stinginess a minor annoyance. Its levels demand to be replayed so you can all the treasure chests or lower your swipe count, and you'll be more than happy to oblige. If you're peckish for a new physics puzzler packed with frosty goodness, then we recommend you have a slice of Icebreaker.
DescriptionOver 2 million downloads!
#1 iPad app! Featured by iTunes in 146 countries!
WINNER! iOS game of the year - Pocket Gamer Award 2014
WINNER! Overall Game of the year - Pocket Gamer Award 2014
WINNER! Best casual/puzzle - Pocket Gamer Award 2014
Metacritic top 20 – all platforms 2013
“Nitrome couldn’t have done a better job bringing the series to mobile devices. A Viking Voyage is perfect!” - Jayisgames
"I’m not entirely sure that I could be any happier with Icebreaker. It’s an incredibly fun, incredibly diverse, and incredibly clever physics puzzler." - 148 Apps
"Definitely give this a look if you've ever remotely found yourself enjoying physics puzzlers." - Touch Arcade
“Bursting with clever level design and creativity, this physics-puzzler is a cut above the competition.” - AppSpy
An epic adventure based on the award-winning flash game!
An icy wind has swept the Vikings away, leaving them stranded throughout the land and surrounded by trolls, deadly traps, dangerous enemies, and worst of all… troll snot!
Now it’s up to you to save them!
Use your icebreaking skills to solve puzzles and cut your way through ice, rope, cannons, explosives, slime and… err… chickens to get your clan back safely to the Viking longboat!
• Based on the award-winning flash game by Nitrome, now expanded, updated, and optimized for iPhone and iPad!
• 140 action-packed levels in three different lands!
• Beautifully immersive world filled with vikings, trolls, deadly theme park rides, and looooots of ice!
• Use special god powers to speed through tricky levels!
• Side quests!
• Unlockable secrets!
• Epic final bosses, including the gigantic Mountain Troll and his legendary indigestion!
Can you seize your destiny and become the new icebreaking champion?
Important Message for Parents
This game may include:
- Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.
- Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse any web page.
- Advertising of Nitrome products and also products from select partners.
- The option to make in-app purchases. The bill payer should always be consulted beforehand.
What's New in Version 1.3.1- iCloud saving is now working properly so you can share your progress across devices
- We've remove the pesky ads that free users were experiencing
- 64bit support for latest iOS devices
- Various bug fixes
- Brand new snazzy preview video