Riptide GP2 iPad Review
- Water-racing is thrilling.
- Healthy number of tracks and challenges.
- Well-stocked stunt library.
- It's a bit grindy, especially in the early stages.
Though it locks you out of the top podium positions near the beginning, Riptide GP2 is a handsome and thrilling water-based racer.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Riptide GP2 makes you work for your win. And when we say work, we don't just mean learning track layouts and honing your jetski riding skills. You see, this water-based racer throws you in at the deep end, presenting you with challenges that are initially beyond the capabilities of your jetski. If you want to get first place, you're going to need to upgrade your vehicle. And, if you want to get the cash to upgrade your vehicle, you're going to have to get your grind on.
It's lucky, then, that Riptide GP2 is actually a lot of fun. Once you get to grips with the pleasingly precise tilt controls, you discover on the real core of the game: the boost system. Charging your boost meter is essential if you want to remain at the front of the pack.
To power-up your boost gauge, you must perform stunts. The game rewards you both for the complexity of the stunt performed, and the variety of your trick selection. As you earn experience and level up, you unlock new, more daring stunts. Besides looking neat, the new tricks allow you to earn the points required to best some of the game's demanding freestyle challenges.
The races are brief, but often frantic affairs. Overtaking competitors, executing stunts, tactically deploying boosts, and fighting against the often choppy waters is both exhilarating and demanding. You do get the feeling, however, that the devs have made things a tiny bit harder than is strictly necessary, especially near the beginning of the game.
To stand a chance of competing in second or third tier events - or the multiplayer mode, for that matter - you're going to have to replay the earlier stages to generate enough cash for the requisite upgrades.
Of course, you can pay real money to top-up your in-game currency. While we expect some grind in free-to-play games, it's a bit of a shame to encounter it in a game you've already paid for.
However, Riptide GP2 has more than enough going for it to warrant a recommendation. It's gorgeous to look at, and its dynamic racing conditions offer some genuine thrills. Just be prepared to wade though some slightly grindy waters to get to the good stuff.
DescriptionThe premier console-quality water-racing game on mobile kicks everything into overdrive, with intense online multi-player races, upgradeable hydro jets and riders, improved graphics, an all-new career mode, and a whole new stunt system with dozens of new tricks!
Featuring rocket-powered hydro jets racing around futuristic tracks across a dynamic and interactive water surface, Riptide GP2 delivers a fast, fun, and visually stunning racing experience.
From Vector Unit, developers of acclaimed racing games Riptide GP, Beach Buggy Blitz, Shine Runner, and Hydro Thunder Hurricane!
• • GAME FEATURES • •
• ONLINE MULTI-PLAYER
• Show off your skills and your custom-tuned hydro jet in 4-way online battles with friends and players around the world!
• CHALLENGE YOUR FRIENDS
• Race against your friends' best times in the exciting VR Challenge mode.
• ALL NEW CAREER MODE
• Play through Race, Hot Lap, Elimination, and Freestyle events to earn XP and cash that can be used to upgrade your hydro jet, unlock new stunts, and increase your rider's performance.
• ALL NEW WATERCRAFT
• Collect 9 powerful new hydro jets, and upgrade their performance and colors to gain an edge on your competition.
• ALL NEW STUNT SYSTEM
• Unlock and master 25 outrageous new stunts. Wow the crowd, charge your boost and make your competition eat wake.
• NEW!! TOTAL CONTROL
• Seamlessly supports gamepads, extended gamepads, tilt, and touch-screen controls.
• GAME CENTER & iCLOUD ENABLED
• Race online, earn achievements and keep your game synced to the cloud with Game Center and iCloud integration.
• OPTIMIZED FOR METAL
• Full Metal optimization provides enhanced graphics, real time lighting and shadows, and super-smooth frame-rates on A7 and A8 devices (iOS 8 only).
• • CUSTOMER SUPPORT • •
If you encounter a problem running the game, please email the device you're using, iOS version, and a detailed description of your problem to firstname.lastname@example.org. We guarantee if we can't fix your problem we'll give you a refund. But we can't help you if you just leave your problem in a review.
For support on most common issues please visit:
• • MORE INFORMATION • •
Be the first to hear about updates, download custom images, and interact with the developers!
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/VectorUnit
Follow us on Google+ at www.vectorunit.com/+
Follow us on Twitter @vectorunit.
Visit our web page at www.vectorunit.com
We welcome comments and suggestions for future improvements. If you have a suggestion, or just want to say hi, email us at email@example.com.