- Employs smart teching method.
- Sound and visual design compliment one another.
- Reaching milestones feels great.
- Random elements can be a little frustrating.
A simple game of avoidance wrapped up in a synaesthesia of audio and visual styling, Pivvot should keep you pushing onward to the break of dawn.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Pivvot is described by its creators as a game of “strategic avoidance”. Though guiding your small orb around obstacles relies on your ability to dodge effectively, the game is more about quick reflexes and adaptability than strategy.
There are two game modes available from the outset: Voyage, and Endless. Voyage is a finite experience in which must weave your way through a series of obstacles. Tapping the sides of the screen rotates your orb clockwise and counter-clockwise. If you sucessfully avoid the obstacles, you'll hit markers which trigger progress milestones. Once you've learned to dodge a obstacle, the game throws a random onslaught at you to test you on what you've learned.
Endless mode on the other hand assumes you're familiar with all the obstacles the game throws at you, and dares you to survive for 100 seconds.
Both Voyage and Endless modes have to be conquered before their expert modes unlock. These assume you're already familiar with the obstacles you've encountered, and present you with more intense variations to really test your skill. If you're accomplished enough to make it through these, you unlock Berserk mode, designed for true masochists only.
There's no denying that this simple premise is packaged with enough content to keep enthusiast occupied. But is it worth persistence? Well, the minimal visual style is clean and engaging, and the music supports the action well.It also helps that you can instantly restart a run with a tap of the screen. This helps to eliminate the frustration of constant retries prompted by your failure to anticipate the next randomly-generated barrier.
Like Super Hexagon, Pivvot taps into that deep seated human desire to overcome adversity. If you gel with the simple contols and concept, you may have found your next interactive obsession.
DescriptionAppAdvice: "Pivvot is one of the best games I’ve gotten my hands on for this year so far. It’s delightfully simple, catchy, and challenging, yet it’s so addictive — you’ll keep coming back for more, even when it gets difficult."
Pocket Gamer: "If you like minimalist arcade games with airtight controls—and you don't mind tearing your hair out from its roots—do try Pivvot."
IGN: "This game really caught me by surprise... This is an example of what I like to see in a mobile game."
Pivvot is a thrilling game of strategic avoidance that will consistently test and challenge your ability to make quick, impulsive decisions.
As the game progresses, you will have to rely on your instincts and problem-solving skills to navigate down the winding path for survival. With its intensity, minimalistic design, and puzzling logic, Pivvot is sure to keep you guessing at every turn.
NINE GAME MODES
• Voyage: Travel through increasingly challenging levels of obstacles
• Endless: Survive as long as possible while the game gets progressively faster
• Expert Voyage: Uncover new, more challenging obstacles
• Expert Endless: Avoid the expert obstacles as the increasing speed tests your limits
• Berserk: The ultimate challenge: chaotic, frenzied, and unrelenting
• Random Endless: Like Endless but random and faster!
• Random Expert Endless: Like Expert Endless but random and faster!
• Looper: Do loops. Get points. Don't die.
• Daily Challenge: You get one shot per day. Don't mess up!
• Increasingly challenging gameplay with thirty different obstacles to conquer
• Nine game modes
• Procedurally generated path: every game is different!
• Four custom-composed, high energy songs
• Simplistic, minimalistic art style and gameplay
• Universal support
• iCloud syncing between devices
• GameCenter leaderboards
• Share replays of your game via Facebook, Email, or Twitter
What's New in Version 1.57I. Am. So. Sorry.
I know there was a terrible crashing bug in 1.55 and I've been stressing out trying to figure out what was causing it. I *think* I've solved it. I ended up being able to reproduce a crash on one of my iPads and I fixed it. So hopefully that was the only crash. If you update to this version and are *still* getting a crash, please reach out to me at [email protected] or on twitter at @wtrebella with info!
Holy cow I feel so bad.
What has gotten into me?
Promise I will try my best,
For I have not forsaken thee
Special bonus guest poem by user Diflachebeh who was kind enough to leave Pivvot a five-star review even though he/she was getting the one-star-deserving crash bug:
"It's mad fun but as soon as you open the app. It crashes. But not to worry as they will fix it as always and give us a poem. Probably something like.
The game is fun.
Even with bugs.
Now it should run.
Now I give you hugs."
Diflachebeh, I applaud you for such a glorious poem and generous review.