Ring Run Circus Review
- Inventive levels.
- A constant stream of new abilities.
- Smooth runs are very satisfying.
- Travelling between rings is more hassle than it should be.
- Music becomes irritating.
Though fun in short bursts, Ring Run Circus's acrobat aspirations don't quite come to fruition thanks to its awkward ring-hopping mechanic.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Ahh, to be a performer at the circus. Dazzling the crowds with death defying acrobatics; dealing with dangerous animals; getting into a very small car with a lot of men. These days circuses don't have the pull they once had, though. However, puzzler-racer Ring Run Circus is making an effort to recreate their magic in the form of short levels with three-star rewards.
Cast as a circus performer, your goal is to find the key to unlock a door and escape a set of rings. Tapping the left side of the screen will cause you to flip to from the interior of a circle to its exterior, while tapping the right side of the screen will engage a special power. These powers vary from performer to performer - you might be able to jump over obstacles, or slap tigers and muscle men in the face.
Flipping to the outside at the point where two rings intersect will transfer you to the other ring. If you do this at precisely the right moment you'll gain a speed boost. These boosts become essential when collecting stars, or avoiding other jealous performers riding along the rings.
The problem is, it can be awkward to move between the rings by holding down on the screen. What's more, the alternative tap method is only effective during a very small window, to the point where a successful transfer can sometimes feel like luck.
This is a shame, because many of the stages are designed to be zipped though in one continuous ride, allowing you to grab all the stars and the key in one fell swoop. Ultimately, mastering the transfer mechanic is the aim of the game, but it does feel like the game is working against you at times.
This underlying gripe makes it hard to wholeheartedly recommend Ring Run Circus. It's a fun idea, and the unlockable performers bring some neat little gameplay twists to the table. If the transfer between rings was more fluid and easier to pull off, this game would be a winner. But for now it just reminds us that we shouldn't be riding unicycles around flaming rings while being chased by tigers.
DescriptionRing Run Circus is on SALE with 75% off today with AppGratis.com
WARNING: There is a bug in version 1.2.2 that prevents the app from launching in languages other than the supported ones (English, French and Spanish). Please update to 1.2.5 to fix the problem. We're really sorry about this. (10 Dec 2013)
"A truly unique experience that will keep you thinking and guessing." - Evan Killham, Cult of Mac.
"A truly refreshing and unique action thing that challenges much more than your reflexes, while looking all beautiful and circus-y." - indiegames.com
Play in a dream world of connected circus rings, perform as three star acrobats and solve more than 50 tricky, skill-based puzzles in the world’s first RING-FORMER.
Soar and float through levels as the speedy and elegant Nina. Slap those who get in your way with proud Ned or play as Grandpa Nelson to change the order of things.
Ring Run Circus is a ring-former: a platformer set on rings. Master each character and use them together to solve tricky puzzles.
- SKILL MEETS PUZZLES: Master the characters while traveling in the circus train through forests, volcanos, frozen mountains and down by the sea through 50-plus puzzling levels.
- THREE FUN ACROBATS: Play with Nina, Ned and Nelson, who each possess unique abilities, which combined with your wits, make them the stars of the show.
- TOUCH SCREEN MECHANICS: Use just two thumbs to control the acrobats, dodge obstacles, change rings, jump and slap but don’t expect it to be easy to win.
- A RING-FORMER: Keep moving as the platforms are rings where it’s too fast to stop, too risky to turn around and your only option is to keep moving and let the show go on.
- CIRCUS STARS: Watch out for elephants, lions, magicians, monkeys, motor-bike riders, strongmen and more, all under one big tent.
- VINTAGE ART AND SOUND: Enjoy four new songs while being charmed throughout the game’s new and magical dream world.
- SHOW YOUR SKILL: Rewards abound with more than 15 achievements and leaderboards to highlight your perfect scores to friends.
"Its simple controls belie an intricate, complex puzzle game with impressive variety." - Evan Killham, Cult of Mac.
"Levels can get infuriating sometimes, but in a good way." - Chris Carter, Touch Arcade.
"Ring Run Circus is a brand new idea packed in a well designed game" - Apple'N'Apps
"For some, life is just a circus, and for others, it solely exists as a dream. This app offers a bit of both, so choose your circle wisely." - Arcade Sushi
"Unique platforming idea made easily accessible" - GameZebo
"A charming puzzle-platformer set in a three (hundred) ring circus." Jillian Werner, GameZebo
"Best of the Mobile Speed Pitch at GDC" - Andrew Podolsky, Slide To Play
What's New in Version 1.2.5Frustration Relief Update + Language Bugfix:
- fixes game not launching in languages other than English, Spanish and French.
- improves ring switching mechanic; it is now easier to move around.
- relaxed level par times.
- sync game progress among all your devices through iCloud.