Don't Shoot Yourself! Review
- You need to use different tactics to beat every level.
- Truly testing reaction-based gameplay.
- An easily understood concept presented smartly.
- Unlocking levels is tougher than is stricly necessary.
- Can be fiddly on iOS devices with smaller screens.
Though it locks much of its content behind tough achievement walls, Don't Shoot Yourself!'s novel anti-shooter gameplay is fun, if a tad frustrating at times.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
“Don't shoot yourself!” Once just sensible piece of advice, this statement is now the title of an iOS game. This game has a simple premise: survive long enough to shoot 100 bullets. How hard can that be? As you might expect, it's tougher than it sounds.
You take control of a small arrow which finds itself trapped inside a number of oddly-shaped prisons. Normally this solitude would be good for such activities as introspection and self-discovery. But the arrow has a problem: it is continuously spitting out bullets. These bullets ricochet off the walls of said prison, and can easily rebounding into the arrow. If you can dodge and weave your way between the long enough to fire the designated 100 bullets, however, you will spit out a super bullet, which will shatter your jail, freeing you to repeat the whole ordeal over again in brand new surroundings.
The control system gives you half the screen to use your thumb to direct your arrow to safety. Movement is responsive, and often you'll find that taking things slow and steady is the key to survival.
This is not always the case however. Each stage has its own unique challenges to overcome. One might have you zooming through timed doors to keep one step ahead of your bullets, while another might feature circular zones which give your bullets homing properties. However, in order to access the boss levels or the new tiers, you have to achieve a perfect run in most levels. This can become restrictive, especially if you're still getting to grips with the first tier.
If you're just after a few minutes of light action gameplay, you might find Don't Shoot Yourself! a bit too stressful. However, if you enjoy testing your reactions to their limits, and don't mind the odd restart, then this self-destructive blaster may suit you down to the ground.
DescriptionShoot, move, and avoid to solve each ingenious puzzle. Easy right? Prove it! Countless hours of award-winning puzzle adventures await. Use quick reflexes and smart strategy to succeed and uncover a new challenge. ***75% OFF limited-time holiday sale***
- Awarded App Store "Best New iPhone/iPad Game" by Apple
- "Unique design and high challenge level should thrill bullet-hell fans looking for an epic foe." PocketGamer, Bronze Award
- "Impressed...the depth of invention reminds us what we'd miss if mobile gaming simply didn't exist. 4 out of 5." - Modojo
- "I can’t stop playing it. So it’s either great, or I hate myself. 4 out of 5." - CultofMac
- "4 out of 5." - Gamezebo
- "A lot of fun...doing what mobile games do best." - 148Apps
- "Looks wonderful!" - IGN.com
• New Environments Offer New Challenges – The walls around you can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Bullets react to the many different surfaces they collide with such as portals, invisible walls, and fiendish targeting barriers that snipe at you, so plan ahead and try to aim in the right direction!
• 50 Themed Levels – With minimalist modern visuals inspired by Damien Hirst, Don’t Shoot Yourself! showcases themes such as arcade classics, natural beauty, vicious circles, and extra-tough “Boss” levels.
• Infinite Mode – Showcase your survival skills in Infinite Mode, where the levels come at random and without stopping. Truly the ultimate mode for shmup addicts to prove themselves!
• Virtual joystick control mode with stunning full-screen levels!
• Share Replays with Friends – Whether you succeed or fail, you can share a movie of your experience with friends via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or email.
• Listen and Learn – The expertly designed game soundtrack reacts when you make a mistake. Listen out and learn to react as soon as the audio starts getting nasty!
• Get Hints from the Game – Don’t Shoot Yourself! isn’t always trying to make you shoot yourself. The game offers hints and advice (and even moral support!) in case you feel bad at yet another failure. Just one more go, that’s all it will take … right?
• Left-Handed Option – We don’t discriminate; play with whichever hand you prefer!
• No In-App Purchases - You receive the entire game and all content right away. There are no unexpected charges or unfair limitations in this game!
What's New in Version 1.5- Starting the New Year!
- Additional polish.