Galaxy Run Review
- Quick, bite-sized levels.
- New mechanics introduced logically at a steady pace.
- Extreme levels available for pros.
- Timer and restart system is redundant.
- Rare timing issues with the jump command.
Essentially Run Roo Run is space, Galaxy Run's tense, bite-sized levels offer enough variety and challenge to keep you tapping away happily for the duration.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
We should all know how the App Store works by now. A new game comes out, gains a lot of traction, and all of a sudden the store's virtual landscape is overrun with imitators. Considering how enjoyable last year's Run Roo Run was, it's surprising that the recently released Galaxy Run is one of only a few games we've seen approach its one-tap single screen platforming antics.
It's up to the player to guide a stranded astronaut home via small doses of precision platforming. Each collection of levels is based around a teaching a single mechanic. The first world handles the simple act of jumping over obstacles and spaces. World two introduces the double jump, and later worlds showcase gravity-switching, speed pads, and even old fashioned Pitfall rope swinging.
Each level only takes a couple of seconds to complete. If you die, you respawn at the start of the level, but the timer keeps ticking along. The slower your completion time, the fewer stars you earn. However, if you tap the refresh button after death, the timer resets, giving you another chance to ace the level. This refresh button renders the respawn system somewhat irrelevant.
The jumping itself is handled with a single tap. It's a simple and generally responsive system, although it sometimes feels like you have to hit the screen a little too hard to register a leap.
Often, to clear a spike or land on a distant platform, you need to launch yourself at the last possible second. At times, it almost seems as if your suited spaceman has to run into thin air before he can clear particularly long gaps. It's a strange feeling, but one which generally adds to the thrill of nailing a perfect run. On some of the more maddeningly difficult levels, however, the occasional unresponsive tap can infuriate, breaking the otherwise smooth flow of the game.
Galaxy Run is a epitome of a bite-sized platformer. It has a simple conceit, a silly theme song, plenty of decent content (with hopefully more on the way). Though we did encounter a couple of control issues, they only slightly impacted what is an incredibly enjoyable run-and-jump experience.
DescriptionSPOILER: Not an Endless Runner!
Spiel Studios brings to you a brand new action packed space adventure to help get Rez home.
An easy, addictive and interesting one-touch, single-screen gameplay, with over 350 levels, called Galaxy Run.
- Auto-Running, Single-Screen levels
- Easy to learn One-Tap gameplay
- Over 350 total levels
- Over 90 extreme levels
- Leaderboards & Achievements
- Full Retina Display Support with excellent gameplay graphics
- 18 Unique Gameplay features, including Anti-Gravity, Speed Boosters, Grappling Hooks, Springboard, Portals and many more!
- 2 Special Power-ups to Skip the Level and Ghost to run through obstacles!
- Engaging soundtrack with Lyrics!
- iOS Game Controller support
- New Levels added Daily via the Bonus section
- 3 Unique Character Costumes available, each with special abilities
- Available in English, Spanish, Italian, French and German Languages
Just tap on screen to start and tap again to jump over obstacles. Use your reflexes and strategic skills to your best advantage!
Jim Squires (Editor-in-Chief, Gamezebo.com):
"I’ll be damned if this trailer doesn’t have me itchin’ to try Galaxy Run out..."
Dave Flodine (Appspy.com): 4/5
"Galaxy Run is a epitome of a bite-sized platformer. It looks like they might have hit the ground running with the right formula..."
Evan Killham (CultofMac.com): 4/5
"Galaxy Run Delights In Sending Its Homesick Astronaut Plunging To His Doom..."
Harry Slater (Pocketgamer.co.uk):
"I urge you with every fibre of my being to turn the sound up for the trailer for Spiel Studios's auto-running platformer Galaxy Run"
Connect to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and share all your feedback and comments. We promise to get back to you personally and instantly!
Twitter: @spiel / @galaxyrun
Official Promo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0K-ypFyg9I
Official Website: http://www.galaxy-run.com
(C) 2015 Spiel Inc.
What's New in Version 2.5- Minor bug fixes
- New levels added in Bonus section
- Improved mechanism to earn even more Ghost Power-ups for Free! At the end of every level, get a chance to earn Free Power-ups!
If you have any feedback, please send it to us at email@example.com.