Only One Review
- Perfect pixel art
- Lots of challenge
- Versatile upgrade system
- Controls can occasionally feel sluggish
- Will frustrate casual players
Though only a basic top down hack-and-slash at heart, Only One's stylish visuals, nuanced combat, and versatile upgrade system make it well worth a look.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Only One's developer, Ernest Szoka, seems to understand that, sometimes, the simplest ideas can be the best. Starting with a basic top-down hack-and-slash format, he has tweaked the concept just enough to turn it into something wonderful.
Only One is an arena brawler which throws waves of increasingly difficult enemies at you, and challenges you to be the last one standing. Beating your foes is not complicated - a simple slash of your sword usually gets the job done.
But this apparent simplicity hides a game of complex strategy and timing.
To control your pixellated avatar, you use a virtual pad that appears wherever you place your left thumb. The slash and special move buttons are located to the right. Most of the time these prove responsive, but on a few occasions they did let us down as we struggled to keep up with multiple attackers.
The pixel art graphics not only look good, but keep the arena free of visual clutter. The entire play field is visible for you to plan your attacks. Despite the small scale of the characters, the tiny models still manage to perfectly convey what type of enemy you're fighting, and what they are planning to do to you.
As each of Only One's levels consists of multiple attacking waves, it is important to prepare. As you fight, your sword will level-up giving you a choice of new upgrades. These upgrades are bought using power. This can be gathered from vanquished foes (meaning you won't want to knock too many out of the arena) or purchased in-app. These are never vital to progress, but new abilities do provide new strategic options to suit personal play styles.
With the later stages and boss fights proving more than a little challenging, Only One is not for the faint hearted. But, people looking for an aggressive bite-sized fix of retro combat will find this endearing and engaging brawler the perfect fit.
DescriptionPick up a magic sword on the ancient pillar of sacrifice and fight to become the 'Only One' left standing
TouchArcade - 4.5/5 "Game with depth well beyond what you would expect"
PocketGamer - 9/10 "A brilliantly paced, sharp-edged brawler "
Over 1 million downloads!
Only One is an epic arena style sword fighting game where you grab a magic sword declaring yourself the 'Only One' and then proceed to push and destroy waves of enemies off a pillar in the sky. You don't fight for glory, you fight to survive!
Defeat your enemies in gruelling combat or take the easy way out and push them off the pillar to their death down below. Capture enemy shields to block your opponents attacks and use your abilities in strategic and dynamic ways like deflecting fireballs back at the wizard or going in dangerously close and unleashing the whirlwind.
Gain powers and strength with a wide variety of abilities and upgrades. Hack and slash through over 90 waves and 9 bosses as you litter the tiny battlefield with bodies and blood to ultimately become the only one left standing!
= In App purchase "Ultimate Power" unlocks the full game experience =
• Awesome retro pixel art graphics and music
• Physics based sword combat with parry and shield mechanics
• Upgrade your character over time with better stats and really cool abilities like push, freeze, bubble, whirlwind and dart
• 90 levels of soldiers, slimes, archers, wizards, loot gnomes, berserkers, skeletons, bats, golems and mini bosses
• Choose and play as multiple character classes
• Push your opponents off the pillar for easy kills and more points or strike them where they stand to get their loot
• Ladder based levelling with checkpoints every 10 levels, score resets each time you die
• Game Center leaderboards
• Floating virtual joystick (go to settings to switch to fixed joystick)
• Endless Battle mode
What's New in Version 1.222HUGE UPDATE!!!
NEW CHARACTER CLASSES, ABILITIES, ENEMIES, LEVELS AND BOSSES!!
- Play as either the Barbarian, Valkyrie, Ninja or the Only One
- New Inferno, Cripple and Bloodlust abilities
- New Bat, Skeleton and Golem enemies
- 20 More levels and 2 new Bosses
- iPhone 6 and 6+ optimization
- UI is now Retina quality
- Bug fixes and improvements
New in 1.222
- Achievements added
- fixed crashing on highscore
- fix spawn delay at lvl 74/75
- highscore/achievements in level select in game over menu
- bats easier, skeletons give score when destroyed, fangz bug fixed
- ui fixes and tweaks
- new icon