FINAL FANTASY VI Review
- Story and combat system still shines today
- Essence of the original is preserved, despite cosmetic changes
- Quicksave feature is practical and useful
- It's Final Fantasy VI
- New visuals may upset some purists
- Battle menus and virtual stick are a little fiddly
Though probably not the definitive Final Fantasy VI experience, this iOS version succeeds in preserving the essence of the original beneath its cosmetic alterations.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In a world where magic no longer exists, a girl with hidden powers awakes. Pursued by enemies who would use her ancient skills for evil, she unites with a band of rebels, and finds herself fighting for her life - and the fate of the world - against the tyrannical reign of the Empire.
So much has been written about Final Fantasy VI over the years that it's difficult to avoid retreading old ground when discussing it. However, considering its one of the most highly regarded RPGs ever made, it was only a matter of time before Square Enix buffed up its crown jewel for the App Store.
The question is: does the iOS port live up to the impossibly high standards of the original?
The answer: mostly.
First off, this isn't one of Square Enix's 3D remakes. Just like Final Fantasy VI's turn-based combat, old-fashioned text scrolls, and random encounters, the 2D nature of the visuals has been preserved. However, the art style has been reworked to be noticeably softer and less blocky, presumably in an effort to excite a 21st century audience. Whether you approve of the reskin will depend on your personal taste, and fondness for the original graphics. That said, even if you don't like the new look, it doesn't really detract from the experience.
The other big change is the overhauled battle menu. Instead of opening static windows and navigating items, weapons, and spells with a cursor, you must scroll through small lists of options with your finger. These columns rise up the screen as each party members' battle timer charges. We found the small menus and scrollbars a bit fiddly to navigate at first, something which initially slowed our progress.
The same can be said of the virtual stick which is used to guide your team around the game's various cities, caves, and castles. It takes some getting used to, but works as well as can be expected - though we would have appreciated an option to fix the stick in place to save dragging our thumbs back and forth.
Other compromises, such as the arrow prompts for Sabin's Blitz techniques, work better. The quick save function is also a welcome necessity, ensuring you don't have head to the overworld or find a save point every time you put your phone down.
However, though probably not the definitive Final Fantasy VI experience, this iOS version succeeds in preserving the essence of the original. Behind the new art and hyperactive menus, there beats the heart of a genuine classic, the pulse of which can still be felt throbbing though RPG design to this day.
Description'-FINAL FANTASY VI 50% Off Sale to Commemorate the FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS FFVI Event!-
We have received a report that the in-game language switches to English when the device is set to Chinese, Traditional (Hong Kong). To avoid this issue, please set the language on the device to Chinese, Traditional when using the app. Do not set it to Chinese, Traditional (Taiwan) or Chinese, Traditional (Hong Kong). If the Chinese, Traditional option is not available, set the device to another language and the Chinese, Traditional option will appear.
FINAL FANTASY VI for the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad is here!
FINAL FANTASY VI first debuted in 1994 as the sixth installment in the iconic FINAL FANTASY series. Innovations included the ability to play all the main characters as the game's protagonist, and to this day, its epic story intertwining each of their fates is still highly rated and wildly popular. The characters' dramatic performances are also highly rated, including the catastrophe occurring midway through, which delivers a particular emotional jolt to players.
With plenty of abilities available and the magicite system for controlling spells/summoning, players can develop their characters any way they want. This was also the first FINAL FANTASY game to include the Ultima Weapon, the most powerful sword of all and a recurring item in subsequent titles within the series.
• Game data saved with iCloud can now be shared across devices! At home or away, on your iPhone or iPad, pick the play style that's best for you.
• All graphics have been painstakingly recreated, bringing the world of FINAL FANTASY VI to your mobile device for the very first time! Kazuko Shibuya, one of the graphics designers involved in the FINAL FANTASY series from the very start, personally worked on the main characters and supervised the recreation of the game's graphics.
• Square Enix's vast experience in A-list smartphone RPG titles has been harnessed in implementing intuitive user-friendly controls that make the game easy to play on touch screens. The battle interface has received particular attention, with a complete overhaul for use on your smartphone.
• This smartphone release includes the new magicites and events that were introduced in the 2006 remake.
• Some events have been optimized to be played with user-friendly touch controls.
The War of Magi left little but ashes and misery in its wake. Even magic itself had vanished from the world. Now, a thousand years later, humankind has remade the world through the power of iron, gunpowder, steam engines, and other machines and technologies.
But there is one who possesses the lost power of magic--a young girl name Terra whom the evil Empire has kept enslaved in an effort to harness her power as weapon. This leads to a fateful meeting between Terra and a young man named Locke. Their harrowing escape from the Empire's clutches sets in motion a series of events that touches countless lives and leads to one inevitable conclusion.
- iPhone 4S or later
- iPad 2 or later
Certain in-game conditions may cause the app to close unexpectedly on iPhone 4. To minimize complications, please take the following precautions when playing:
- Save your game data regularly.
- Close the game via the multitasking display after exiting.