Autumn Dynasty Warlords Review
- Beautiful watercolor style
- Deep, yet accessible strategy
- Controls well even on small devices
- Light tutorial may frustrate those unfamiliar with strategy games
- Drains your battery quite quickly
Autumn Dynasty: Warlords is a great example of how to distill complex strategy concepts into pure mobile fun.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There is a fine balance in strategy games between accessibility and depth. Make a game too easy and it won't hold your attention. Make it too deep and it becomes impenetrable to all but the most dedicated fans. Autumn Dynasty Warlords, from Touch Dimensions, strikes this balance perfectly.
This is a particularly impressive feat, as even with the tutorial turned on, the game does little to hold your hand. Bar a few brief messages outlining the basic mechanics and interface, it leaves it up to you to develop your own strategies.
The goal is simple: conquer feudal China, and put and end to civil war by uniting the people. To do this you must expand your empire by fair means or foul, befriending or defeating enemy warlords as you see fit.
Building cities is the key to success. These turn-based sections allow you to spend as long as is needed planning expansions to your territory. Each improvement grants access to further advancements and unit types. Though this may not be the most thrilling element of the game, collecting the money you make from successful cities is rewarding in its own right.
After your city is established, it is time to determine how you want to expand your province. Intuitive touch controls allow you to use commander units to infiltrate opposing cities, and conduct espionage or diplomacy depending on your mood. Both techniques proved satisfying when successful, and crushing when not - a sure sign we were well invested in the war.
Once battles are initiated the game switches to real-time. A selection of swipes – represented by beautiful Chinese watercolour brush strokes – guide each of your squads. The action is surprisingly easy to follow, especially given the amount of units and interaction.
Victory is all about using the right troops for the right task, with a rock-paper-scissors mechanic dictating each unit's effectiveness against others. If you are unfamiliar with this system then this can be confusing, but the feedback given quickly allows you to work out where tactical changes have to be made.
These layers of city building, expansion, and combat work brilliantly together, making Autumn Dynasty Warlords an excellent, uncompromising mobile stategy game.
DescriptionRevered, feared and enigmatic. The First Autumn Emperor’s legacy is undisputed. He began as a minor warlord, yet he would one day unify the country, discover firedust, and repel the greatest barbarian invasion in history. His personage is a mystery, but his exploits are legendary. Could you have ruled in his place instead?
Manage your empire turn by turn: manage cities, construct buildings, raise armies and engage in diplomacy and espionage. Unify the land by conquering all provinces!
Fight your battles in real time: use simple gestures to direct your armies and turn the tide of battle with special abilities. Outsmart and outmaneuver your foes through superior tactics!
• 4X-RTS gameplay: Explore, expand, exterminate and exploit in your quest to establish your dynasty
• Riveting missions: Experience them all with more than 100 hours of gameplay
• Non-linear campaign: Each decision you make can affect the fate of your empire
• Strategic flexibility: Select the right troops, decrees and officers to defeat the enemy
• Choose your path to victory: Pick your battlefields as you fight your way into enemy cities
• Unique touch controls: Direct your forces with simple gestures and brushstrokes
• In-game interactions: Send your officers on missions: engage in diplomacy, espionage or sabotage
• Randomly generated battle maps, beautifully rendered in oriental watercolor style
• Retina display ready
• Game Center achievements
• Universal App - Plays on all supported devices - iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini Retina, iPod Touch 4th Gen, and iPod Touch 5
What's New in Version 2.1Atarala Campaign Unlocked