Demonrock: War of Ages Review
- Publisher: Crescent Moon Games
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 27 Feb, 2014
- Size: 177.7 MB
- Price: $0.99
- The controls are solid
- Nice range of powers and abilities
- Repetitive, dull arenas
- Not enough to do
A functional take on the tower offense genre, Demonrock: War of Ages suffers from dull, repetitive combat, and a general lack of creativity.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
On its surface Demonrock: War of Ages's isometric fantasy combat seems to ape classic dungeon crawlers like Diablo. Delve a little deeper, however, and you'll soon realise that this reverse tower defense game is far less broad in its scope.
You are given a choice of four fighters. Two of these characters are unlocked, with the others available though IAP. Choosing which character to start with dramatically affects your experience – so making this initial selection essentially blind is a little frustrating.
The basic gameplay has a lot in common with a MOBA. You lead your character and a summonable army to battle against enemy strongholds. Tapping around the screen will see your character scurry to the desired location, attacking where appropriate, while additional powers and troops can be accessed through onscreen buttons.
Controls is responsive and intuitive, but this did little to stop us feeling detached from the battlefield. With a single route through each of the game's four environments, direct control of our warrior could just have easily been substituted for a forward and reverse button, allowing us to follow the same linear path through levels as our army.
Many of Demonrock's issues spring from its single path arenas. Though there are some basic cosmetic differences, none of the game's four arena designs offer enough variation to prove tactically interesting.
Though there are dozens of enemy types, their predictably means the add little spice to the levels. In fact, the only real challenge was making sure that we had levelled up all of our equipment, and to stay awake long enough to use special abilities.
These are all issues that MOBAs - a genre that Demonrock borrows heavily from - hide through their multiplayer nature. Here, laid bare against a computer-controlled army with no human counterbalance, it proves simplistic and bland.
Demonrock: War of Ages is a good starting point for a larger experience. If multiplayer was an option - or if the maps were more varied and complex - then its intuitive controls and more complex mechanics may have drawn us in. As it stands, they are simply the trim on a pair of +2 Boots of Mediocrity.
DescriptionDemonrock: War of Ages is a reverse defense game with beautiful 3D graphics and intuitive
game play. Lead your hero's soldiers to victory against hordes of monsters.
- 40 Levels across 4 unique environments. Forest, Dungeon, Coffin chamber and Winter
- 4 Legendary Heroes: Barbarian, Ranger, Knight and Sorceress, each hero has 5 skills
- Over 30 different enemies and Bosses: Goblins, Orcs, Skeletons, Trolls, Spiders, Werewolves... and...
a Giant Dragon!
- Hire 13 different mercenaries to break through enemies’ defenses
- Collect epic loot in battle and upgrade your weapons and armor. Each hero has 6 weapons and
armors with 4 levels of appearance upgrades
- Intuitive controls and step-by-step tutorials for you to get started
What's New in Version 1.1- Optimized font size
- Resolved the unit descriptions mix up issue
- Increased tier-2 material drop rate
- Added stones purchase to Shop
- Added a "Hardcore" mode, when you've completed all levels you can replay with stronger enemies