Block Fortress: War Review
- Deep strategic gameplay
- Good range of weapons and upgrades
- Hard to come back from early losses
- Controls are too fiddly
An admirably deep strategic experience, Block Fortress: War is let down by unintuitive controls and balance issues.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Block Fortress: War brings a new level of strategy to Foursaken Media's Block Fortress franchise. A mix of tower-defence, direct hero control, and resource management, it offers a wealth of tactical options. However, while the choices are plentiful, they can lead to unnecessary confusion.
Block Fortress: War's complexity comes from how it weaves it mechanics together. No one feature is difficult to mangage in isolation. But to be competitive you have to master them all.
Take the hero. Tap anywhere onscreen and he'll move obediently towards the marked spot, attacking any viable target in his way. Easy in theory, but many of his skills are only useful if he stays near your troops – a problem when your troops are engaged in a mindless forward march toward their goal.
While the troops may not listen to your orders, they do pay attention to your equipment recommendations. You can gear up each unit with weapons and items before they spawn. More items slow their rate of production, creating an interesting choice between numbers and power.
The most important tactical element in Block Fortress: War is managing the nodes that are dotted around the map. Securing these with your hero allows you to fortify the areas by building various armaments and generating buffs. However, if one of these nodes is lost, you also forfeit the resources you've spent on it.
Losing nodes is made all the more frustrating by the fact you rarely feel like its within your power to stop it happening. The large maps cannot be seen in their entirety, making it hard to pinpoint what's going on at any given moment. Combine this with the fiddly controls, and you'll often feel at the mercy of chance, rather than the forger of your own destiny.
Ultimately, Block Fortress: War tries to do a little too much. Despite its simplistic blocky style, its gameplay offers a full-blown strategic experience. Unfortunatly, the game's lofty aspirations are let down by unintuitive controls and balance issues that too easily dictate the flow of battle.
DescriptionWelcome to the Blockverse: an alternate and blocky dimension, home to a diverse collection of alien civilizations. These creatures have been waging war for eons, and now you can take control of an army and join the fray!
• Block-building meets real-time-strategy in an action-packed and tactical game.
• Play as one of five races, each with their own unique troops, heroes, and blocks.
• Choose to control one of over a dozen heroes, each with different strengths, weaknesses, weapons, and abilities.
• Customize your army from a huge selection of equipment for each race.
• Build elaborate and powerful defenses by placing blocks, turrets, bombs, and more.
• Fight your way through a massive campaign on five different planets.
• Battle your friends and climb the leaderboards in 1v1 or 2v2 multiplayer, powered by GameCenter.
What's New in Version 1.2.3• Decreased the effects of Blockbot's charger block.
• Other minor bug fixes.