RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 Mobile™ Review
- Building your park is quite satisfying
- Controls are, for the most part, responsive and intuitive
- Pay to free-to-play
- Fiddly coaster construction
- Premium price tag turns out to be a downpayment on consumable currency
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile mighthave been a reasonable free-to-play title, as a premium game, its greed is too much to stomach.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Initital impressions of Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 are decent. As with previous entries in the PC series, you must build up your theme park in order to attract customers and their money. Any cash you make can then be poured back into your park, creating an endless but satisfying cycle of development and expansion.
Constructing your park is simple. You select the desired building from a list, and then drag it into place using the touchscreen controls. Every building, be it a merry-go-round or a hotel, brings in more customers and more cash.
However, it’s the roller coasters that are the big draw. They're also most exciting, and most confusing, part of Rollercoaster Tycoon 4. You can make them as sprawling, or as tightly wound, as you like, but not without difficulties. It can take minutes of fiddling with even the simplest track to work out what is hindering your construction. Sometimes the slope is too steep, maybe there is a tree in the way.
The thing is, the game doesn't tell you why you can't build a particular structure.This makes the building process frustrating. There is an auto complete function if you're really struggling to craft your coaster, but even this fails to rectify construction issues.
The other problem is the game's microtransaction system. Though you might think you're paying for a premium game, you're essentially buying credit up front at a reduced rate. You're gifted $5 of in-game currency when you start playing, which can be used to bypass build timers. However, when it runs out - which it will do very quickly - you'll have to hand over more cash, or wait for hours for timers to tick down. If the game was free-to-play, this might be forgivable. However, in a premium game, it comes off as awfully cynical.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile might have worked as an attractive free-to-play reimagining of the series. Instead, what we have is a premium game with nasty free-to-play elements. This is one rollercoaster we just wanted to get off.
DescriptionBased on the beloved RollerCoaster Tycoon® franchise, RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 Mobile™ is now available on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch! Create and share the amusement park of your dreams and construct incredible roller coasters and rides to keep your visitors happy. Create the best park, unlock new materials, and exchange coaster blueprints with friends online to become the ultimate RollerCoaster Tycoon®!
•Intuitive RollerCoaster Editor.
•20 pre-designed coasters.
•Over 50 different attractions, restaurants, concession stands, hotels and decorations.
•Unlock new materials to construct cooler, faster and taller coasters.
•Grow your economy by creating the ultimate amusement park.
•Connect with friends on Facebook and Game Center.
•Share roller coaster blueprints.
•Top the Game Center leaderboards online.
•Game is pre-loaded with over $5.00 of in-game currency.
Visit us at www.RollerCoasterTycoon.com
Follow us on:
What's New in Version 1.0.6For this update, our park mechanics focused on adding great new features including a new slots mini-game and fixed a number of bugs in RCT4M. Additionally, the game is now free-to-play! Thank you for your continued feedback on the game.
• New Mini-Game
- Slots - Play the all new RCT-themed Slots mini-game using in-game earned coins and win big! This fully featured mini-game can be accessed by building the all new “Slots” attraction found in the “Specials” section of the build menu.
• New Themed Decorations
- Build iconic structures in your park like the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben clock tower.
• New Businesses
- Soccer Museum - Build a Soccer Museum for your visitors to learn about the World’s #1 sport. A small admission fee does apply for your peeps generating even more coins.
- Billboards - Make your park look more realistic by putting up Billboards in your park to showcase different advertisements. Promote some of your peeps’ favorite brands and earn coins while doing it!
• General Improvements
- A Mechanic Peep will walk around your park checking on buildings helping to let you know when they are broken down. An indicator will pop up over a building when broken.
- Music Selector Adjustments & Settings lets you choose with greater detail what songs you want playing in the background via the Game Settings menu.
- In-Game Badges will appear via the in-game menu when new buildings or items become available so it's easier for you to know when things have changed.
• General Bug Fixes