RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 Mobile™ Review
- Building your park is quite satisfying
- Controls are, for the most part, responsive and intuitive
- Pay to free-to-play
- Fiddly coaster construction
- Premium price tag turns out to be a downpayment on consumable currency
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile mighthave been a reasonable free-to-play title, as a premium game, its greed is too much to stomach.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Initital impressions of Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 are decent. As with previous entries in the PC series, you must build up your theme park in order to attract customers and their money. Any cash you make can then be poured back into your park, creating an endless but satisfying cycle of development and expansion.
Constructing your park is simple. You select the desired building from a list, and then drag it into place using the touchscreen controls. Every building, be it a merry-go-round or a hotel, brings in more customers and more cash.
However, it’s the roller coasters that are the big draw. They're also most exciting, and most confusing, part of Rollercoaster Tycoon 4. You can make them as sprawling, or as tightly wound, as you like, but not without difficulties. It can take minutes of fiddling with even the simplest track to work out what is hindering your construction. Sometimes the slope is too steep, maybe there is a tree in the way.
The thing is, the game doesn't tell you why you can't build a particular structure.This makes the building process frustrating. There is an auto complete function if you're really struggling to craft your coaster, but even this fails to rectify construction issues.
The other problem is the game's microtransaction system. Though you might think you're paying for a premium game, you're essentially buying credit up front at a reduced rate. You're gifted $5 of in-game currency when you start playing, which can be used to bypass build timers. However, when it runs out - which it will do very quickly - you'll have to hand over more cash, or wait for hours for timers to tick down. If the game was free-to-play, this might be forgivable. However, in a premium game, it comes off as awfully cynical.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile might have worked as an attractive free-to-play reimagining of the series. Instead, what we have is a premium game with nasty free-to-play elements. This is one rollercoaster we just wanted to get off.
DescriptionRollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 Mobile™ is a free-to-play game with an addictive mixture of strategic planning and simulation. Based on the beloved RollerCoaster Tycoon® franchise, this game takes many of the fan-favorite features from the original PC games and brings them to mobile. Create and share your theme park, construct incredible roller coasters, and become the ultimate Tycoon!
Our latest update is full of new content, including…. PUKE! Relive the glory of RCTs past with brand-new nausea mechanics! Other improvements include new buildings and park mechanics, stability, audio, and graphical improvements. In addition, RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 Mobile™ now includes Queue Lines! Enjoy a whole new level of customization, watch your peeps line up and wait for rides while increasing the BUZZ level each one produces. Build your park, make your peeps happy, and have fun with millions of other players online today! In addition, the game now features all new mini-games including slots!
The RCT4M team will continue to release new customizations, franchise favorite content and features. This is only the beginning!
Having any problems? Any suggestions? We would love to hear from you! You can reach us at our support center by going to http://support.atari.com
Visit us at www.RollerCoasterTycoon.com
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rollercoastertycoon
And on Twitter: https://twitter.com/OfficialRCT
Note: A network connection is required to play.
• Intuitive RollerCoaster Editor
• 20 pre-designed coasters
• Customize your theme park with different attractions, restaurants, businesses, concession stands, hotels and decorations
• Play Slots mini-games within your park
• Unlock new materials to construct cooler, faster and taller coasters
• Grow your economy by creating the ultimate amusement park
• Connect with friends
• Share roller coaster blueprints
• New content and features released all the time
What's New in Version 1.3.0Hello RCT4M Tycoons!
A new update with a bunch of new features and improvements is now available. For the first time, your peeps can now… PUKE! Relive the glory of RCTs past with brand-new nausea mechanics! Other improvements include new buildings and park mechanics, stability, audio, and graphical improvements. The full update list is below:
• Added sounds for coaster rides
• Added chains for slow coaster segments
• New Park Elements: First-Aid Room, Janitor's Office, Trash Can
• Peeps throw litter on the ground if there are no empty Trash Cans nearby
• Peeps might get sick after taking a ride and vomit if no First-Aid room is nearby
• Janitors can be hired to clean the park
• Grass now grows in the park and should be serviced by janitors
• Plants die if they are not watered by janitors
• New goals added
• Stability improvements
Thanks for playing RCT4M!