Fluid SE Review
- Twitch spatial puzzles
- Tight responsive controls
- Nice presentation
- Frustratingly hard
- No clues on how to improve
- Difficult unlocks limit progression
The fury Fluid SE inspires is offset by the satisfaction you feel when you carve a fraction of a second off your time - unfortunately this makes it a game for perfectionists.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Fluid SE has you constantly on the brink of anger. It sets you the simple goal of collecting a handful of glowing orbs from around its stylish dark arenas but adds time pressures to create a tantalising challenge.
A responsive virtual stick ensures there are no surprises to Fluid's controls while you guide your creature around the levels. Where the complexity lies, however, is in the exactness of these controls, with the tiniest movement of your finger changing your avatar’s course and speed with alarming precision.
Each level has five star ratings that can only be achieved through collecting every orb within a time limit. From the very beginning you will find yourself wondering if achieving this five stars rank is even possible as you replay levels dozens of times in order to shave off fractions of a second.
Time is not Fluid's only obstacle. Collecting orbs spawns lethal red creatures that slowly drift towards you. These force you to carefully consider your path creating an interesting puzzle element.
To help you, there are a collection of different abilities in the world. Some of these affect your creature, like the one which allows it to destroy attacking orbs, while others activate effects in the world, such as warps. Often you will have to use multiple of these powers to find a levels solution. This will have you warping across the screen to avoid an approaching danger, before collecting an item that lets you vaporise your attackers and gather any remaining orbs - only to find you are still 0.01 maddening seconds off the target time.
Time would be less of a problem if it didn’t gate progress. We frequently found ourselves trapped, having to repeat levels in an attempt to move forward. While this does make success thrilling, ultimately your victories are a too few to balance against the frustrations.
Fluid SE is an intriguing game that requires planning and reflexes to master. However, with trial and error the only way to better your times, it can leave you feeling quite hopeless. The result is a fun but frustrating game, that requires a desire for perfection to really be enjoyed.
DescriptionTo celebrate the announcement of Overload, a new game from Radiangames and the creators of Descent (playoverload.com): ALL RADIANGAMES TITLES ARE ON SALE!
"A fast-paced and relentlessly hard racer, Fluid SE is well worth your time. 8 out of 10" - PocketGamer
Fluid SE is a thrilling time-trial racer mixed with the arcade gameplay of Pac-Man, brought to you by Radiangames, creator of Inferno+, JoyJoy, Super Crossfire, and more. Speed through the mazes to collect the dots, find the optimal path, and avoid the swarms of spectres.
In Fluid: Special Edition, you guide Streak (a speedy black fish) through 40 levels filled with dots, obstacles, and powerups. Each dot you collect spawns a spectre that tries to chase you down, while the powerups give an upperhand temporarily, either with a speed boost, a vortex that attracts spectres, or spectre-bursting spikes.
* Finish the levels as fast you can and you're rewarded with up to 5 stars.
* 5-star times aren't initially shown, but getting a 4-star or higher time will reveal that level's 5-star time.
* Levels are unlocked in groups of 5, with each group requiring a minimum amount of stars.
* Every 5th level is a bonus level (with no spectres), while every 4th group has Turbo Levels, which speed up Streak's speed even more.
* Each group has its own Game Center leaderboard, along with a star total leaderboard.
* In addition, there are 12 Game Center-enabled achievements to help track your progress and further reward solid gameplay.
* Use the amazingly smooth and accurate virtual controls or an iOS7-compatible game controller.
More press reviews:
"Overall, this app is utterly flawless. From the graphics to the gameplay to the premise, everything about Fluid SE is just as lovely as it is entertaining." - AppAdvice
What's New in Version 1.011.01
* Added time-based GameCenter leaderboards for each group (must complete all 5 levels to rank in the leaderboards).
* Added group time display if you have 25 stars in a group.
* Added a help screen (start of game, and from pause menu).
* Added an instant restart button (appears after you start moving).
* Added a flip stick option so you can play right-handed.
* Decreased the number of stars needed to unlock some groups (up to 10 stars less).
* Slight rendering speed-up.
* Changed level 33 so it's less reliant on luck to finish.
* Fixed Rate The Game link to point at Fluid SE instead of JoyJoy, and it appears sooner.
* Couple minor fixes.