World of Tanks Blitz Review
- Fantastic tank battling thanks to tight controls
- Well-sized arenas keep the action exciting
- Play as much as you like for free
- IAPs are not cheap
- Poor connections ruin matches
- Fun can be scuppered by random matchmaking
World of Tank Blitz is a game that will convince you to part with your cash, but with so much of its frantic tank-based fun offered for free you'll find yourself more than happy to do so.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
At its most reductive, World of Tank Blitz is a modern interpretation of the Atari classic Combat. But this mobile instalment the of tank-based arena warfare behemoth bring flair - and considerate monetisation - to the formula.
A quick tutorial teaches you nuances of manoeuvring your metal death-machine using the virtual stick, buttons, and various drop down menus. It is a familiar system, but one made unique thanks to your tanks methodical pace and cumbersome turning circle.
The goal of the seven-on-seven matches is to either hold a central point for 100 seconds, or wipe-out the enemy tanks. Well-designed arenas offer just enough space and cover to not feel oppressive, while ensuring you never have to search for a fight. This creates a constant intensity with games rarely reaching their seven minute time limit.
Encounters swing between hugely satisfying and rage-inducing, depending on the cooperation of your team. When playing with an organised team it's hard not to whoop with joy when a flanking manoeuvre works allowing you to blast a distracted enemy from behind. The flip side of this is when you find yourself in an disorganised rabble, and you must watch as your allies are picked off one by one, leaving you fighting a war single-handed.
Our biggest problem with Blitz came from connection issues. When working optimally, the dramatic tank blasting mayhem plays out at a smooth 60fps. Unfortunately, if your internet connection is patchy, you find yourself warping around the map or stuck frustratingly in place. However, even with the occasional issue, the online play was a good deal more reliable than most real-time iOS multiplayer games.
Blitz's most impressive feat is its use of the free-to-play model. Instead of restricting play with energy systems, Blitz limits the speed at which you unlock its vehicles and upgrades. With a different tech tree for the American, German, and Russian factions, you will have to know your Panzers from your Cunninghams as you choose your tracks and turrets.
As with all free-to-play games these vehicles unlock at good pace initially, but before long you are forced to either enter into a slow grind or start paying to rise up the tiers. However, with the grind so enjoyable, and endless play against lower level tiers on tap, it's a monetisation system that's hard to resent.
World of Tanks Blitz is a fantastic online tank blaster that lets you play as much as you like for free, while offering good incentives to invest in its IAPs. This makes Blitz a rare example of a free-to-play game that earns its money before ever asking you to spend a penny.
DescriptionJump into a free-to-play mobile MMO action shooter featuring a huge roster of over 250 massive tanks, stunning graphics, and intuitive touch-screen controls. Take on short, action-packed 7-vs-7 tank battles where real and alternate histories collide—no matter where you are!
World of Tanks Blitz is built specifically for optimal online mobile gameplay and is currently available on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
“The very best multiplayer you’ll find for your mobile.”
— Pocket Gamer
“A lot of tanks, a lot of people and a lot of fun.”
Requires an Internet connection and iPad 2/iPhone 4S or better to play.
• Over 250 iconic WW2 vehicles from nations across the world
• 23 unique battle arenas
• Strategic 7-vs-7 online multiplayer
• Free-to-win: equal access to in-game elements for everyone
• Deep progression system: 10 tiers of tanks to unlock and explore
• Innovative crew upgrades to enhance your tank and refine your gaming style
• Constant updates and graphical enhancements; optimization for various devices
• Easy to learn, intuitive touch-screen controls
• In-game and Clan chat functionality
• Battle Missions that open up new, personalized challenges and let players earn bonuses and achievements
• Clan functionality allowing players to unite in their pursuit of victory and invite their friends to play online
Download World of Tanks Blitz now for free!
For more information please visit http://wotblitz.com/.
What's New in Version 4.9The latest update is ready for download! It will bring:
• A branch of Chinese heavy tanks: four formidable vehicles ending with the powerful Tier X WZ-113.
• An in-game event for real winners with a new item as a reward!
• The new Fast Capture skill—it accelerates base capture and helps you achieve victory faster!
• New rare camouflages for all vehicles.
Enter the game—more surprises are waiting for you! Mobilize!