Modern Combat 5: Blackout Review
- Rarely a dull moment
- Violence is explosive and satisfying
- Shared XP pool means every multiplayer scuffle counts
- Controls still a compromise
- More of the same with no real innovation
- Always online requirement is a pain
Even with the control issues, DRM nonsense, and lack of real innovation, Modern Combat 5 is probably the best example of the genre on mobile. The fun may be loud and dumb, but fans will doubtless fall victim to its explosive charms.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Modern Combat 5: Blackout is an orgy of simulated violence - short bursts of brutal, amoral slaying set to a soundtrack of bombastic Zimmer-esque strings and the metallic trill of shell casings on concrete.
Like it's predecessor Zero Hour, it throws set piece after set piece at you, switching between urban shootouts, gunship massacres, sniper challenges, and aquatic escapes with the excitement of an impatient child opening Christmas presents.
The controls are the familiar mixed bag of accommodation and compromise. Though the continuing refinement of the virtual stick system over the course of the Modern Combat series can be felt, it's still easy to accidentally open fire or cook a grenade when you simply meant to turn your head. However, bringing up the iron sights to zero in for headshots not only nets you double XP it is reliably satisfying, rewarding your accuracy with arterial sprays and slumping ragdolls.
This time around, the six-chapter story campaign has been padded by spec-ops missions - micro challenges involving breaching rooms or deleting a single target, all of which of which must be completed before advancing to the next location on the map. The necessity to jump through these incidental hoops before moving to a new city extends the game's running time, but does interrupt the flow of the single-player experience.
The other interruption comes in the form of the game's always-online stipulation. Even playing in a location with a strong wifi connection, you may find your gunplay put on hiatus now and then because you've lost contact with Gameloft's servers, something which becomes an even greater problem if you're playing on the move.
Multiplayer returns with a healthy selection of decently-sized maps and modes, including team battles, capture the flag, and classic free-for-all. Party play for up to 5 friends is supported, and with experience points carrying over into the single-player campaign there's even more incentive to get stuck in.
Though Gameloft keeps the action moving at a breakneck pace, with chapters now divided into even smaller sub-missions, you can't escape the fact that we've all been here numerous times before. While the set pieces are more bombastic than ever, Modern Combat 5 is trudging up a well-worn path flanked by familiar sights. The obligatory helicopter sections and boat chases are reliably ticked off the checklist, the game echoing countless other military shooters without really adding its own voice.
However, even with the control issues, DRM nonsense, and lack of real innovation, Modern Combat 5 is probably the best example of the genre on mobile. The fun may be loud and dumb, but fans will doubtless fall victim to its explosive charms.
Description> “It plays as good as it looks.” – IGN
> “Amps everything up to the next level.” – 148Apps
> “Sharp controls, impressive graphics.” – Pocket Gamer
Proud to be “App Store's Best of 2014” in 28 countries!
Step into the action as the latest installment in the best FPS series raises the bar for shooters once more! Create a squad, add your friends and test your individual and team skills against other squads!
Is single player your thing? Then step into a world on the brink of anarchy and shoot your way out of one dire situation after another to expose a lunatic who’s trying to tear the world to shreds.
CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE CLASS
> 7 customizable classes that you can level up across single and multiplayer
> Find the playstyle that suits you: Assault, Heavy, Recon, Sniper, Support, Bounty Hunter or Sapper
> Activate class-specific skills by earning and spending Skill Points
> Watch players in battle with the new Spectator mode
> Epic team clashes in Squad vs. Squad matches
> Talk to other players in Global and Squad Chat
> Individual and Squad leaderboards
> Win cool rewards in the limited-time events
CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS APLENTY
> Equip advanced tactical suits with powerful abilities
> Attach trinkets to your weapons for a personal touch
> Apply camos to the advanced tactical suits and weapons to mark your presence on the battlefield
> Accumulate XP and level up by playing both single-player missions and multiplayer matches
> Unlock higher-tier weapons by mastering lower-tier ones
> Customize the perfect weapon using a host of attachments
INTENSE SOLO CAMPAIGN
> Fast-paced story missions with various challenges taking you from Tokyo to Venice
> Play the new Spec-Ops missions for a real adrenaline rush
> Flawless graphics, music and voice performances with seamlessly integrated cutscenes
HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS
> Intuitive, highly customizable controls so you can play just the way you want
*IMPORTANT* Modern Combat 5 requires an iPad 2 (or newer), iPhone 4s (or newer), or iPod touch 5th Generation. An Internet connection is required to play.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
End-User License Agreement: http://www.gameloft.com/eula/
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
What's New in Version 2.1.0What’s new
• NEW GAME MODE – Rush – The most strategically game mode so far. Similar to other shooter games RUSH is a best of 5 rounds, objective based game mode. Players will only spawn at the start of a round, and have 15 sec to purchase power-ups before the round starts. Once the round starts an objective will be visible on the minimap & game world for both teams, the team that holds the objective at the end of the round will win or, alternatively you can win by eliminating all the enemy team.
• VULCAN ARMOR – This new sapper armor is sure to make the difference on the battlefield, be sure to check out its background story and find out just how much value this armor gives
• SHIBING ARMOR – In preparation for one of the most iconic eastern celebrations – the Mid-Autumn Festival we are proud to announce this traditional Chinese themed armor that increases your melee range and reduces all durations provides extra protection when being shot in the back.
• Squad battles - due to popular demand, we reduced the minimum numbers of players needed for squad battles from 4 to 3
• TIER 7 TURRET for the Sapper is finally here. A static shotgun turret that can be placed on the floor or ceiling guaranteeing carnage and mayhem
• WEAPON RENTAL SYSTEM – You can now use your Diamond Dust for trying out the weapons that you did not buy yet. The weapon will be fully upgraded, and the base attachments will be unlocked.
• CONTROL TUNING ADJUSTED – due to popular demand strafe and run speed values are closer to the ones from update 9 and below
See you on the field of Battle!