Banner Saga Review
- Cruel but involving decision-making
- Deep class system and combat
- Atmospheric and beautiful to look at
- Touch controls can be a little sticky
- Occasional stuttering
Though this iOS port has a couple of optimisation issues, The Banner Saga is an atmospheric and involving adventure which is far deeper and more rewarding than your average mobile RPG.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's been out on PC for a while, but viking epic The Banner Saga has finally made the trek onto iOS. It's an unforgiving tale of warring factions and ancient evils, played out via choose-your-own-adventure style choices and isometric strategy combat.
Pocket Gamer's Jon Munday rose to the game's many challenges, and reveals his opinion in the video above.
DescriptionEmbark on your own epic journey in Banner Saga, the critically acclaimed tactical RPG where your strategic choices directly affect your personal story and the world around you.
Leave your home and strike out on a desperate journey to save your people. Lead your caravan across stunning environments and into war with enemy clans and vicious Drudge soldiers. Build relationships and make choices that will shape the future of your clan as you scramble to survive in this beautiful, bleak world.
Banner Saga Features:
- A unique fantasy realm inspired by Norse mythology – explore a grim world shaped by the legends of the Vikings. Uncover ancient lore and battle tooth and nail to carve out a new bastion in a world abandoned by the gods.
- Beautiful 2D rotoscope animation - immerse yourself in beautifully hand drawn combat sequences and animations, accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory.
- Real choices with real consequences – every decision you make on the trail, in conversation and during combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your unique story unfolds.
- Over 25 playable characters with unique personalities – form relationships in and out of combat with a variety of characters from 7 different classes, each with unique abilities and upgrade options to fit your play style.
- Strategic combat with permanent repercussions – choose your warriors, form your strategy and strike. Adapt to a dynamic battlefield where your tactics determine who lives and who dies. Victory, defeat and even the permanent loss of a character depends on the choices you make.
- Winner of the Geekie Award for best Indie Video Game, 2014, Independent Games Festival Finalist for Excellence in Visual Art and Honorable mentions for Design and Audio.
Only your choices can guide your caravan through the harsh winter, past mystical enemies and brutal Viking clans. When the trail is uncertain, can you take the lead?
Download Banner Saga and begin your journey today.
NOTE: Banner Saga does NOT run on iPhone 4. iPhone 4S and more modern devices recommended.
What's New in Version 1.04Added Japanese language support
Various bug fixes