- Publisher: Erik Svedang AB
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 12 May, 2010
- Size: 45.8 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Beautiful high resolution artwork and animation.
- Relaxed bit-tune soundtrack.
- Open objective exploration gameplay.
- May be too 'Indie' for some.
The old cliche holds true here and you'll either love or hate Kometen for the freedoms it gives players, but at least for a while you'll blissfully enjoy gracefully navigating the stars with your disturbing space-pacman.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Kometen is the latest offering from well known Indie developer Erik Svedäng of Blueberry Garden fame. Pairing up with artist Niklas Åkerblad, it's an 'experience' based game that offers no true objective outside exploring the universe you're given by attempting to master gracefully propelling yourself from planet to planet.
There's not a lot to controlling your space-pacman as all he requires is a simple touch to initiate an orbit around a planetoid, while swiping the screen will sling-shot you across the map to your next destination. Various planets will have Lucky Charm style objects to consume which will slowly power up your boost meter, allowing you to rocket your way even further across space once it's full.
There are a handful of art-planets to discover, but Kometen gives players very little in the way of direction or guidelines to their play, giving them an open sandbox to play around with. The experience is ultimately quite relaxing and pairs well with the game's down-tempo synth bit-tune soundtrack.
Kometen is a bit of a mixed bag, pairing incredible visuals and style with a lack of direction that typifies the 'Indie' experience in gaming of late. Players will experience a sense of mixed joy and loneliness through the stark and wide-spanning freedom you're given, but many new players will unfortunately put this game down without stricter sign-posts to guide or at least initiate new players to the Kometen world. Definitely a unique experience for your iDevice.
Description"Have you ever wondered if there was an app out there with the soul purpose of nurturing your spirit in the most beautiful way possible? Kometen is a game for the iPhone and iPad that does just this with elegance and grace." – AppDiscover
“This is a remarkable addition to the app store that will separate itself from the crowded offerings of the same old same old with its own style and polish. Taking a seat next to Zen Bound, Kometen utilizes the unique aspects of the device perfectly and will be that app you want to share (show off perhaps?) with friends.” — No dpad
- About -
A comet has been born, please take good care of it! Explore the universe and learn how to fly in a graceful way. A beautiful and memorable experience for everyone!
- Features -
‣ Super minimalistic controls: tap planets to gravitate towards them, swipe to let go
‣ Zoom through space at incredible speed!
‣ Explore a world filled with gorgeous watercolor art
‣ Use the map to find amazing paintings scattered throughout the universe
‣ Keep track of the mood of your comet by reading its thoughts
‣ Hypnotizing and awesome soundtrack
If you want to get the soundtrack: it's out on both iTunes and Bandcamp, just search for "To Stop you Must Die" by El Huervo
- About the creators -
Erik Svedäng (design & programming) is the creator of the PC game Blueberry Garden, winner of the Independent Games Festival Grand Prize 2009.
Niklas Åkerblad (art, animation, sound & music) is an artist based in Gothenburg, Sweden. When not making games he's painting huge paintings.
Follow twitter.com/e_svedang to get the latest news about Kometen updates, special offers, competitions and more!
What's New in Version 1.1- iPad support!
- Different regions to explore with new and unique music, backgrounds and objects
- Improved controls (quicker and smoother maneuvering of your comet)
- More food, debris and other fantastic things to see on your journey
- Killing your comet now requires confirmation (tap five times in the upper left corner on the comet info screen)
- Various small bug fixes and improvements