- A fresh take on the endless-runner format
- Vector art styling are great
- Tough, but rewarding
- Timing jumps is initially tricky, and can feel a little off at first
- It's a one-note game
A great-looking and refreshingly new take on the tired endless-runner genre, Fotonica also serves as a delightfully retro nostalgia trip for fans of vector graphics.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Fotonica is an endless-runner.
There, I said it.
But it's also much, much more than that. It's an ode to '80s vector art. It's a mobile Mirror's Edge. It's an artsy speed sim set to by a throbbing, experimental soundscape.
And, though not without issues, it's also a lot of fun, as Pocket Gamer's Craig Grannell found during his review.
Watch the video above to hear the full review.
DescriptionEver wondered what running at 140mph feels like? FOTONICA is a first-person game about the thrill of speed and traveling flawlessly through complex environments.
One-handed controls: hold your finger down to run, release to jump, hold in mid-air to dive and land.
FOTONICA is simple, but is not easy: it follows a tradition of arcade games that are easy to pick up and almost impossible to master. A multi-layered level design across eight different tracks, together with a procedural endless mode make for a game that is incredibly deep. Think you can outrun your friends? Try the split-screen versus challenges.
The visuals are a treat for the nostalgic player but also for those hungry for new aesthetics. Every pixel is drawn to convey the maximum sense of speed, an exhilarating journey through light and void.
- 8 Levels to explore and master.
- Plus 3 different endless levels to compete for high-scores.
- Two-player split-screen multiplayer mode on the same device!
- 18 Achievements to unlock plus game stats.
- Online rankings.
- Beautiful, smooth, and unique vector-style graphics.
- Electronic music by Michael Manning, Nicolò Sala, and legendary composer Baiyon.
- 2 Difficulty settings to let you play an even faster version of FOTONICA.
- Play in landscape or portrait mode.
- No ads, no in-app purchases.
- Record and share replays of your best runs.
POCKET GAMER - "As good as competitive, hold-your-breath-every-second, first-person racing gets"
Chris Priestman, pocketgamer.co.uk
"EUROGAMER - 8/10 “Usain Bolt trapped in a feverish Tron daydream”
Kristan Reed, eurogamer.net "
"GAMEPRO - 5/5 “This one button game has a lot more mileage than you might expect”
Nathan Meunier, gamepro.com "
"THE CREATORS PROJECT - “A veritable black hole to lose yourself in”
Emerson Rosenthal, thecreatorsproject.com "
"ARS TECHNICA - “Striking and instantly impressive”
Ben Kuchera, arstechnica.com"
"ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN - “It’s a remarkable game, and unlike anything else I’ve played”
John Walker, rockpapershotgun.com "
“Fantastic Arcade Spotlight Game 2014”
“EuroGamer Expo Selection”
“54th Biennale of Art in Venice Selection”
** FOTONICA is designed for iPhone 4 and above. It is NOT compatible with iPod Touch 4th Generation.