Pocket Tours Somme
- App Store Info
DescriptionThis year marks 100 years since The Battle of the Somme started on the 1st of July 1916. To mark this historic event the app is currently on sale for £2.29. Help us commemorate the battle by downloading the app now...
This app guides you along this section of the Western Front from north to south, stopping at all of the significant sites along the way. At each site or stand you will be provided with description of the action and photographs that relate to the events. There are detailed explanations of what went on behind the scenes along with accounts of the heroics that led to the award of 9 Victoria Crosses. Videos help set the scene and the guide leads you to the museums and the attractions that help visitors interpret what happened.
- Pocket Tours brings history to life by using the full suite of functionality available on the Apple mobile platform. For over a year visitors have used this app to help them interpret history’s most significant battles.
- Users can view photographs, hear original sound clips and see film footage to further bring the scene to life.
- The interactive map has 4 layers to ensure everything is easily accessible and not over crowded.
- Learn all about the battle of the Somme from start to finish from whilst hearing from world-renowned historians about exactly what happened, who was involved and how history was shaped.
The app can be used as an exiting, interactive, education tool from the classroom or from the comfort of your own home, It is also possible to use the app to visit the area and be guided around whilst listening to the commentary and seeing where historic events took place through the live camera.
This tour has a lot of detail. If lucky enough to visit the site, it will take around 2 days to explore all of the fascinating, history soaked places the app includes.
Pocket Tours is the world’s first battlefield tour app, which is able to use all of the pioneering capability of the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
“Imagine walking over the ground that shaped history and having an expert explain the events as they unfolded. The GPS feature guides users from point to point, utilising the knowledge of local historians to go to the best vantage points – making a tour of the battlefields accessible to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Once downloaded, users don’t need internet access to use the app. They can just plug in their headphones and immerse themselves in the history. If you can’t get to the battlefield that’s fine – the app is still a fantastic story in its own right.”
NO INTERNET/3G CONNECTION REQUIRED - Designed for offline use so you don't need to pay for high overseas data charges. There is a lot of mapping information, audio files and videos so please be patient as it downloads.
EXPERIENCED GUIDE – Our guides are experts. They bring to life what took place and describe what it was like on the ground when it was happening. It is much easier to understand how things happened when you see where they took place
UP - TO - DATE – Obviously the historic tours don’t change as time passes. We are however always updating things and looking for more information to make the tours more interesting.
AUGMENTED REALITY –Turn the phone on its side and look at the screen. The camera will show you a view with superimposed images showing where things took place and what they looked like at the time.
1. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
2. The GPS signal is very weak in areas with overhead cover.
3. The GPS signal is often weak inside a car.
4. Take a real map to make sure you know where you are. Don’t rely on the GPS alone.
5. Download a compass to help you to orientate yourself
Pocket Tours is brand new. The developments are ongoing and updates will be issued frequently. Please contact [email protected] if you think of any improvements or if you want anything explaining