- App Store Info
DescriptionR8 Companion™ is a feature rich app, designed to give you the most out of your R8 radar detector, while enhancing your driving experience along the way. Featuring intelligent alerts and advanced muting! R8 Companion™ is the COMPLETE solution to enjoying your R8.
The R8 Companion™ app leverages years of optimizations and features from V1 Companion™ (Available separately on the app store for owners of the Valentine One radar locator).
Enhanced GPS location based 'false muting' via SpotLocks™ - All future updates to this app are free to purchasers of R8 Companion™
R8 Companion™'s alerting and muting systems are fully optimized for the R8 platform. Intelligent voice announcements and on-screen visuals will always keep you informed and aware of the situation around you.
NOTE: R8 Companion™ requires a Uniden R8 radar detector with US Version 127 firmware to function correctly.
R8 Companion™ full feature list:
• SpotLocks™ - Location based false silencing has never been this good or easy. Turn on the intelligent location-based learning and let R8 Companion™ do the rest. Or you can manually 'lock' or 'unlock' locations with ease from the main alert screen.
• SpotLocks™ works seamlessly with your R8’s built in 'auto mute memory' locations. If you create or delete a location from the app it will apply the changes to your R8 at the same time.
• 'Proximity' meter - leverages the high resolution signal strength and direction information provided by the detector to show you a better representation of the signal's source.
• 'K & X falses in area' meter shows you how many possible false alerts exist in the area you are travelling based on the accumulated SpotLock data™.
• 'Custom Phrases' for a given threat's audio announcements.
• High resolution meters for the priority alert (Not limited to the # of bars on the R8 display).
• Customizable heads-up display (HUD).
• HUD displays the priority alert's band, signal strength, frequency, & direction. The HUD is color coded between real threats & muted false signals.
• HUD of the secondary alerts' bands, signal strengths, frequencies, bogey counts & directions.
• Mute rear K & X band signals independently.
• Advanced BSM/CAS/Ka False Muting (Optimized for the R8 platform).
• Ability to set the R8’s internal detector settings from within the app (See below list, more detector settings coming in free future upgrades). *Requires US Version 127 firmware:
K BLK 1
K BLK 2
Rear K Mute
Ka Scans (Narrow, Wide, Segmented)
Ka 1-9 Segments
Auto Mute Volume
Change Alert Display NOTE: A bug in firmware makes it so you have to select #3 from the detector.
Auto Mute Memory ON/OFF
Select Auto Mute Memory Bands
• 'Ghost' muting quiets false alerts when you are stuck traveling near a false emitting vehicle.
• "Passive Mute™"- Quiets the R8 below user set speeds & during weak K & X signals.
• Bogey count display showing total number of threats.
• Vehicle speed (MPH or KMH) display. Speed is color coded for each alert type.
• Mute status with the ability to manually mute/unmute alerts as you need.
• Detailed & intelligent voice announcements of direction, band, frequency, strength, number of alerts, occurrences of mixed signals and more.
• Automatic muting of Ka, K, and X bands ('Time before mute' set for each band).
• 'Reduce Speed' notification for user set speed.
• ‘Urgency Alerts™’ - Unmutes growing threats & announces these alerts via voice & notifications.
• ‘Alert History’ - View your past alerts with detailed information about each encounter.
• Compass heading.
• Imperial/metric units.
• Detailed trip summary at the end of your ride including duration, distance, alerts, muting stats, battery, and more.
• Automatic connection via Bluetooth.
• iPhone & Apple Watch notifications of direction, band, & frequency of each alert.
• Tips/Help system.
What's New in Version 1.06.28"Feels like a new detector!", -e This is what people are saying after using R8 Companion™ - See what all the fuss is about, try it for yourself!
Seamless settings integration was the goal of this new update. If you liked R8 Companion before this release, you are going to LOVE it after! This update features the ability to modify the most popular settings on your R8 radar detector right from the app! See the list below for a complete list of the settings you can modify (more settings coming in future updates). Spread the word, it is only going to get better. If you have an idea / suggestion you would like included in a future update, please visit https://crackedpixel.com/contact-us to let us know. Thanks!
Version 1.06 Updates:
• Improved Bluetooth connection speed (now up to 60% faster) and re-connection reliability.
• New 'Alert History' formatting.
• Improved 'quiet ride' / 'GPS mute' system.
• If GPS is turned off/doesn't connect on the detector, the app will default to the iPhone GPS providing a more precise GPS experience.
• New 'GPS Warmup' feature that keeps the detector quiet for a 'user set' number of seconds or until a GPS connection is established with your detector and/or iPhone. Useful for parking garages etc.
• New ability to unlock a Ka 'mute mem' or 'auto mem' from within the app.
• Improved app's handling of POP/MRCD/T/GT3/4 signals and announcements.
• Added 'Pop' type (Ka vs K) to alert log.
• Fixed a bug where a 'ghost' mute could unmute during the signal "latch" period.
• Fixed a rare bug where the alert could remain on screen after there were no more alerts present.
• Fixed bug of having a 'Mute Mem' Ka location voice announced.
• Fixed bug of a 'Mute Mem' Ka not being greyed out on the app's main alert screen.
Version 1.05 Updates:
• Additional optimization to weak muting and 'ghost' muting using historical data.
• Added 'All Threat', K Blk 1 & K Blk 2 to R8 settings screen.
• "Reset to Factory Defaults" button didn't work on some screen sizes.
Version 1.04 Updates:
• Added ability to turn ON/OFF announcements for when the SpotLocks system locks a location (New setting can be found on the audio settings screen).
• Tuned existing K-Notch for Acuras/Hondas based on historical data.
• Added ability to tun ON/OFF the function of SpotLocks automatically writing the location to your detector's "manual mute" memory when a locked SpotLock is created (This setting is found on the map screen).
• Enhanced 'auto learn' functionality of SpotLocks to NOT unlock/delete Spotlocks when the associated band has been turned off in the detector's firmware.
• Added volume adjustment sliders for the detector's main and mute volume levels to the main alert screen.
• Added the ability view and change the R8 mode between Advanced, Highway, City and Auto to the main alert screen.
• Added a new state for the 'mute button' on the main alert screen. It will now show when the detector is no longer receiving a signal, but is still displaying it on the detector (known as 'signal latch'). The 'mute button' will show "Sig Latch" to signify the signal is no longer being detected.
• Added a new R8 settings screen to modify some of the more popular R8 settings (more to come in future updates). The list of settings that can be modified are as follows:
• Laser ON/OFF
• X Band ON/OFF
• K Band ON/OFF
• K Pop ON/OFF
• K Filter ON/OFF
• K Scans (Narrow, Wide, Extended)
• TSF ON/OFF
• Ka Band ON/OFF
• Ka Pop ON/OFF
• Ka Filter ON/OFF
• Ka Scans (Narrow, Wide, Segmented)
• Ka 1-9 Segs ON/OFF
• Auto Mute Volume ON/OFF
• Change Alert Display (#1, #2, #3 - NOTE: Bug in firmware makes it so you have to select #3 from the detector. The firmware won't read or write display option #3).
• Select Display Color
• Select Display Brightness
• Select Priority Band
• Auto Mute Memory ON/OFF
• Select Auto Mute Memory Bands
*** Other bug fixes / optimizations to the various radar companion systems. ***