Volcano Planet Review
- Publisher: Jelly Biscuits
- Genre: Action
- Released: 2 Jul, 2009
- Size: 15.9 MB
- Price: $0.99
- The game’s controls are simple and easy to use.
- The visuals and lighting effects are great and very detailed.
- Original and inventive concept.
- The action is very fast paced and at certain times, somewhat stressful.
- Repetitive action limits this game a bit.
While this game can get a bit repetitive, the fast paced action and fun gameplay will keep you entertained for a while. And at the current price, Volcano Planet is definitely worth a look at.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Volcano Planet is an action game that has players trying to save aliens from their now volcanic and soon exploding planet. Players must spin the planet surface and tap the erupting volcanos in order to suppress them long enough to evacuate the alien race.
The controls are simple and work fine. You spin the planet by flicking the screen in different directions and tap the top of the erupting volcanos to delay them and the inevitable explosion. Players can also use different carbon suppressants to relieve the pressure building under the planet's surface.
The visuals are well presented in 3D, and the light effects from the exploding volcanos are particularly well done. The sound is good but somewhat odd. Different notes are played each time a volcano is put out and once you reach game over, those notes are played again in a musical sequence for your enjoyment. While there is only one game mode, players have the option to post highscores up to the leaderboards.
Volcano Planet is an interesting game to say the least. While the game brings a cool new concept and great visuals to the iPhone, nothing truly amazing stands out. The gameplay is still fun and immersive, but can get a bit repetitive and tedious after a while. However, if you’re more of the casual gamer, playing every so often, then this could be right up your alley.
DescriptionOne of the Best 100 Games for 2009 - Volcano Planet was chosen as one of the Best 100 iPhone Games for 2009 in the 'iLounge 2010 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide' !
By ignoring global warming and thumbing their noses at carbon emission targets the Xediotz and their planet are now DOOMED. Volcanic activity is generating critical levels of explosive (and smelly!) gas. Only you can delay the inevitable, allowing as many Xediotz as possible to escape before the planet EXPLODES.
When a volcano appears, use touch to rotate the planet so you can TAP the volcano out. The longer they are around the more gas they produce so be fast.
Send rubbernecking flying saucers on their way with a sharp tap - they'll leave you with Gas Suppression bonuses so it is well worth it :)
"Volcano Planet...is very close to the ideal $1 iPhone game: fun, easy to figure out, and impressive both visually and sonically"
- Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
"...I can fully recommend this to anyone looking for something simple. The gameplay is quite addictive for hardcore gamers and casual gamers a like, and the addition of the global highscores makes it even better."
- Daniel, nodpad
"Cute, clever, and contemporaneous, Volcano Planet is exactly the sort of mindful quick-fire games that are causing iPhone to heat up"
- Tracy Erickson, pocketgamer
Review for 1.2:
"... I have to say that even though some minor issues still exist like the cluttered display, there has been enough added to make this game a solid buy recommendation."
-the Portable Gamer
- Local and Internet High Score tables.
- Speed/Accuracy are rewarded with Gas Suppression modules (DING!) to be used when you need them.
- Can be paused by tapping on the timer in the top right for a well-earned break
- Entertainment for all ages
What's New in Version 1.2- Scoreloop is now used for Global Highscores.
- Resume interrupted games - if a call comes through or you close VPlanet, optionally pick the game up again where you were.
- New bonus spaceship to catch - slows time down (temporal freeze generator), enabling you to get more time to make the speed bonuses, and slows gas creation speeds.
- Second new bonus spaceship to catch - Volcano Distruptor, use this to turn off all volcanos at a single tap.
- Auto saved levels - getting to level 5, 10 20 and 30 will auto-save your state at that level, and offers a choice of start points when you play.
- Speed bonus chaining - if you get 2 or more gas supression bonuses in a row you get extra bonuses. Combine with the Temporal Freeze for stockpiling gas suppressive charges.
- Volcanoes have purple smoke when they are Speed Bonus active making it easier to chain them
- Using the 'Replay' button will replay your last play choice, ie from the start or an auto saved level.
- Improved UI layout, cleaner UI graphics.
- Improved Performance.
- Planet mesh now changes shape as volcanoes appear/disappear.
- Camera is a little closer to the planet
- You no longer have to wait for the highscore tallies to finish adding up before you can restart a game.
- You can get to the Scoreloop UI through either the end screen when playing, or from the high score page.
- Hold the gas suppression bonus icons to apply continuously until released, rather than requiring frantic tapping.
Note: The ability to set a name for the high scores is just for the local scores - Scoreloop takes care of it's side of things.
** If you start/accept a challenge you are taken straight into playing and the score is auto-submitted
** Exiting during a challenge game (or having it interrupted) will restart the game where you were when you next play VPlanet to keep the challenge fair
** challenges are always played from level 1 regardless of the auto saved levels.
** Scoreloop score uploading is optional (Automatic for challenges)
This game is Scoreloop enabled
That means, you donít have to play it alone! You can compare your scores with other gamers worldwide and even challenge them directly.
You can challenge just about anyone like your contacts or buddies on Facebook. Or you can simply challenge existing players by tapping their name in the high score list. You can also create and accept anonymous challenges. Scoreloop will make sure you play against someone who is about as skilled as you are.
And if you really perform well, you can win medals that show your skills to your opponents in your profile.
For more info on Scoreloop please visit: