Hook Champ Review
- Online leaderboard access via OpenFeint.
- The game rewards players with unlockables and an upgrade store.
- The game’s visuals and sound work great together.
- The controls take a bit of getting used to.
- The game is very fast paced and might deter some players.
Hook Champ is a fast paced and frantic action game with tons of charm, personality and value for money.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Hook Champ is one of the latest rope swinging action games to hit the marketplace but this time, you're swinging through dark deep caves in search of lost treasure. You play as Jake T. Hooker, a modern day Indiana Jones as he goes deep into cursed tombs and catacombs in order to retrieve idols and escape as fast as possible.
Players run along each level by tapping and holding their finger on the lower half of the screen and they launch their grappling hook by doing the same on the top half. Much like Rope’N’Fly, swinging through each level and chaining jumps together is a necessity as ghosts and other nasties will chase after you in more difficult levels.
The pixelated visuals are reminiscent of old school arcade games and is further complimented by the game’s MIDI style music. Players are also free to use their iPod during gameplay if they choose to. There is currently only one game mode to play through but players are free to replay levels for more gold or faster times and submit any highscores to the global leaderboards.
Hook Champ is an enjoyable experience that fans of Rope’N’Fly will love. There’s enough content and variety in the gameplay itself to keep things interesting and the retro presentation is a lot of fun. There is a minor learning curve with the control scheme as you need to learn how to effectively swing and move but this is an easily passable obstacle. Overall the game is a satisfying causal play that will sink its hooks into you and have you returning for more.
DescriptionThe most exciting part of any tomb raiding adventure? The narrow escape. The treasure's in hand and it's time to get out in one piece. Your feet alone aren't fast enough to save you. Time to use your grappling hook and swing for dear life!
It's not as easy as it looks in the movies. Pull it off with skill, and you'll be rewarded with tons of treasure. Use those coins to deck yourself out with new and better tools, open up new treasure caves, and buy new hats, outfits, and characters.
- Simple to Learn: Just tap where you want your hook to go, and you’ll be swinging to victory.
- Treacherous Caves: Venture through water-logged ruins, magma-filled caverns, and more!
- Ghost Races: Race against your own best runs and see if you can stay ahead of yourself!
- Tons of Upgrades: Spend your hard-won treasure on better ropes, sharper hooks... even rocket boots and a shotgun!
- Customize Your Character: Adventure in style with a variety of hats, special costumes, and new characters at the shop!
Hook Champ - GameClub is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
What's New in Version 1.70.23Thanks for playing this GameClub game! GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements. Let’s play!