Super QuickHook Review
- Smoother gameplay with less annoying roadblocks.
- Objective based level unlocks.
- Endless 'Avalanche' mode that's tailored to your skill level.
- Includes more rewards for exploration.
- Less off-the-cuff banter.
- '16-bit' style not as cohesive as the '8-bit' one.
Prepare yourself for another round of hook-swinging action as Super QuickHook manages to slightly improve on the original title while rewarding players for being even more obsessive than before.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Fans of Rocketcat Games will hardly need an introduction to 'Super QuickHook', the true sequel to their immensely popular dungeon-swinging platform title 'Hook Champ', however many small gameplay changes have resulted in this new title feeling more streamlined and remains as utterly addictive as the first title.
The basic controls have been left relatively untouched, with players using taps to aim and fire whip-like hooks to speedily swing through the various environments. Rocket Boots are available at the beginning of the game and give players the ability to jump up to areas that would otherwise take too much time to explore, while new items like the Slick Pants will automatically slide you along the ground for a short distance.
The new faux-'16 bit' look that has replaced the older '8-bit' one arguably lacks the simplistic charm that Hook Champ had, but it has allowed Rocketcat Games to flesh out the environments and backgrounds for more detail. Gameplay has shifted more towards an exploratory style, rewarding players for finding secret areas and the need for jump 'indicators' has been removed by clever level design that rarely punishes 'leap of faith' swings.
Some features like the amusing banter between characters has been shifted from levels to the store, making it harder to fall in love with this new protagonist. Super QuickHook is well worth checking out and fans of the series may take some adjusting, but the new experience is sure to win you over in the end.
DescriptionJump into hook-swinging action and conquer the mountain with your trusty grappling hook.
* 96 / 100 - Metacritic
* 5 / 5 - 148Apps
* 4 / 4 - Slide to Play
* 5 / 5 - AppSpy
* 4.5 / 5 - TouchArcade
Super QuickHook is the critically acclaimed sequel to the retro sidescrolling platformer classic Hook Champ. Use your grappling hook to race through gorgeous landscapes, survive a roaring avalanche, and discover secret loot to spend on character upgrades, equipment and fancy hats.
Your grappling hook will let you cover wide expanses, while your rocket boots give you a soaring boost that can pull you out of certain death or help you reach a few mysterious locations. Handy mid-stage checkpoints help you mark your progress through the wildly challenging courses. Try out the all-new endless levels and see just how long you can stay ahead of a terrifying avalanche or the violent blast of an erupting volcano. The key to success comes from maintaining speed and momentum, which requires a careful eye and a very quick hook.
- Simple yet Deep: Tap and hold to fire your amazing grappling hook and let go to send yourself soaring through the air!
- Expansive Worlds: More than 20 levels intricately designed with multiple routes, secrets, and more!
- Awesome Upgrades: Spend your coins in the shop to improve your hook, upgrade your rocket boots, or even pick up a handy pedometer!
- Challenge the Endless Levels: Swing at high speed to stay ahead of a massive avalanche or an erupting volcano! How long can you survive?
- Quirky Characters: Chat with all of the strange characters who stop in at the shop!
- Super Secrets: With plenty of unlockable hats and characters, you'll have to try anything and everything to find it all! Did someone say something about a gnome?
Super QuickHook is one of the many fantastic games brought back to life by GameClub, fully updated to support the latest versions of iOS and newest devices.
Super QuickHook is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub Pro, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub Pro subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
What's New in Version 1.9.7Thanks for playing this GameClub game! GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements. Let’s play!