Dark Avenger Review
- Publisher: GAMEVIL COM2US USA, Inc.
- Genre: Adventure
- Released: 2 May, 2013
- Size: 68.9 MB
- Price: FREE!
- A competent ARPG experience with no pricetag.
- When you're surrounded, you start attacking, and you see the waves descend alongside all the numbers, that feels good.
- Repetitive combat.
- Grind or IAP focused.
- I hope you like dungeons, because that's where you'll be fighting.
Dark Avenger is to ARPGs what Zenonia is to KRPGs. An average effort hampered by design choices centred around grinding and in-app purchases.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In the last few years, the ARPG has exploded in popularity. For most of the 2000s, gamers were either playing Diablo II or one of the few games made to emulate it. This explosion in popularity even has the progenitor Diablo finding itself ill equipped to make a huge splash in the new market. It's of no surprise then that plenty of developers have tried to bring this style of game to IOS. These entires have met with various levels of success, and now Gamevil is throwing their hat into the ring, bringing their freemium, multiplayer focused style along for the ride. It's ends about as you would expect.
You start by selecting from a supposed three classes, but at the time of this review, only the Templar was available (which plays sort of like a rogue/assassin type). Each stage is a small series of interconnected chambers in an adequately lit dungeon, in which waves of enemies will attack, you will kill them, and then you move on and do it all over again, collecting loot, gold, and levelling up your character. In-between stages you can buy new items from the shop, sell or forge the gear you found (or equip it), and level up your skills and abilities. Each upgrade or shop item has two prices, one is in gold which you earn in-game, and the other is the in-app currency. You do earn enough to not be overwhelmed in the main game (although don't try the infinite dungeon till you've completed everything), but after a few stages, you get the distinct feeling that the game is holding back on drops and loot to persuade you into a purchase.
And the real problem is that the combat itself isn't that engaging. There were similar problems in their latest Zenonia game, in which the standard attack is a boring multi-hit combo that has no real oomph behind it as you slice into enemies. You can mix things up with the skills you learn, and their use is important strategically, but the core gameplay is very repetitive and grindy, and not in a good way. Gamevil definitely has its fans, and this sort of combat does appeal to a certain type of gamer, but this reviewer is not it, and it comes off a chore rather than an engaging experience.
As with most of their releases, the presentation is good but not great, with a level of audio and visual fidelity that is pleasing, but predictable. If you enjoy Gamevil's other offerings, or really love yourself some ARPG, give this one a try. It will cost you nothing, so there's that, but most players will be put off by the uninspired combat and repetitive nature.
DescriptionThe premiere MORPG for mobile, Dark Avenger!
Join tens of thousands of players online in the ultimate hack-n-slash dungeon crawler!
OVER 12 MILLION DOWNLOADS WORLDWIDE!!
• Discover 4 unique classes to fight the evil! •
- Choose from Templar, Archer, Berserker, and Sorceress in your fight against new evils that have awoken!
• State-of-the-art Graphics •
- Over 10 million players are fighting the evil every day!
- Brilliant 3D Graphics featured in Full HD with Dynamic Lighting!!
- Side Camera View feature added for dynamic gameplay!
• Boss Raid: Strategic Co-Op Battle •
- Play simultaneously with 3 other players in Boss Raid mode!
- Formulate strategies with all 4 heroes to defeat the new and advanced World Bosses!
• New 3:3 PvP Battle Network •
- No wait times and queues! Players can join anytime in epic real-time 3:3 Death Matches!
- Reign over others! Play and compete in the warlord match!
- Accumulate wins/losses & kills/deaths to compete in the weekly ranking for awesome rewards!
• Infinity Tower: The Hunting Never Stops •
- Compete against the best players around the world every week!
- Reach new heights and become the ultimate warrior!
- Meet new event bosses at certain floors!
• 18 vs 1: The Ultimate In-Game Action •
- The brand new semi-targeting system allows players to maximize the in-game experience!
- Combine full effects and skills in a devastating combo to fend off multiple enemies at once!
Join the community at https://www.facebook..com/DarkAvengerGAMEVIL
What's New in Version 1.3.21. New icon
2. 447 new items (Weapons, armors, accessories)
3. Ancient items' MAX upgrade level display has been fixed.