Bug Heroes 2 Review
- Tight third-person action
- Great range and variety of characters
- Fantastic touch controls
- Objectives are a bit generic
The creepy-crawly carnage of Bug Heroes 2 provides some of the best third-person combat we have seen on mobile in a while.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
While marshalling an army of insects may not be the Pentagon's idea of a winning combat strategy, it proves surprisingly effective - and entertaining - in the third-person multiplayer battler Bug Heroes 2.
The premise of the game is straightforward: lead a two-man squad of tiny gun-toting insects into battle against approaching hordes of equally insectoid enemies.
Before starting your first game, you randomly select a squad of two from the roster of 25 bugs, each of which have unique abilities and upgrades. Once selected, these two are your team until you eventually unlock more bugs through play, or purchase them through IAPs.
Single player, co-op, and versus modes are all on offer to test your mettle. Missions usually involve weathering waves of enemies while completing objectives, or erecting towers and defending your base against the approaching horde.
Battles play out in real world environments that appear appropriately massive from your pint-sized perspective. Each of your suitably weighty bugs stomp around these arenas using cups, pencils, and a host of other items for cover as they make their way to the objective.
During missions, upgrades for weapons and base defences can be purchased with coins earned through combat. Though these upgrades do reset between levels, you'll need to keep buying them, as they're often the only way to beat longer stages.
However, while the levels and characters are well-drawn, Bug Heroes 2 truly shines in the control department. The touch inputs feel natural, and the an auto-fire mode is convenient and well-implemented.
Developer Foursaken Media has managed to keep things equally streamlined when controlling the second member of your team. Your bonus squadie can be set to follow your lead, or hold position with a tap of the screen, while double-tapping on the environment will see them head off to that location to give covering fire.
It isn’t that any of these elements are especially new. Rather, Bug Heroes 2 integrates each element so harmoniously that they form a genre mashup which is both thrilling and intuitive.
As a result, whether you are strapping an AK to an ant or a grenade launcher to a gnat, the miniature mayhem of Bug Heroes 2 comes highly recommended.
DescriptionMaster 25 unique heroes - from a hook wielding Waterbug pirate, to an old and wise Aphid sensei, a champion Bumblebee boxer, a grenade launching Worm, a poison obsessed Stinkbug, and tons more! Choose and customize your squad, and unleash powerful abilities on your enemies. Scavenge for food and junk, fortify your base, build turrets, level up your heroes, equip weapons and armor, and survive! Or, put your skills to the test in up to 2v2 competitive multiplayer battles!
• MOBA-like competitive & cooperative multiplayer
• Tons of single player content, including missions, an endless mode, and a base vs base skirmish mode
• 25 unique heroes to master - form your team of two
• Innovative squad based gameplay - control two heroes simultaneously
• Level up your Bug Heroes, increase their skills, and buy weapons, armor, and gear
• Scavenge for food, then defend your Food Stash with turrets and upgrades
• Complete missions, earn stars, and unlock a host of powerful upgrades
• Master both melee and ranged combat. Slice your enemies with swords, swat bugs off of ledges, blast them from long range with guns and magic, and more
• Tactical gameplay - use cover to defeat your enemies
• Over 75 varied enemy types to battle
Questions or comments? Follow us on Twitter @FoursakenMedia, or like us on Facebook!
What's New in Version 1.3.2This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
• Bug fixes