Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork Review
- Good jokes blend well with comic visuals
- Range of control options
- Solid Galaga-style shmup action
- When lacking power ups combat can drag
- We found the default controls a bit iffy
It is okay to judge Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork by its appearance - this is a solid shooter elevated above the competition by its comic presentation.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There is a childlike joy to Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork, the new game from Pixeljam. Its pink, three-eyed alien hero is the kind of creation you would expect to pour from the mind of a talented preschooler. This is no doubt due to the influence of James Kochalka, the award winning comic artist behind the game’s art. Everything about the game oozes comic book charm - from the challenges set by the two power-suit wearing sisters, to the backchat between the hero and his Super Backpack.
It is a good thing that the presentation is so strong, too, because it sits on top of a relatively simple gameplay stucture.
You control the hero as he walks back and forth shooting down alien invaders. Aliens come in a range of forms, and attack in patterns that will be familiar to anyone who has played Galaga - they either sit at the top of the screen shooting at you, or swoop around the sky like migrating sparrows.
The shooting is handled automatically by your Super Backpack, whose attacks are upgraded by collecting a variety of power-ups. Each power offers a new ability for a brief period of time, and obtaining a steady supply of these is vital to keeping the action moving. One of the most frustrating parts of the game is running out of powers when you're trying to best a boss, leaving you pea-shooting a massive foe with the default blaster.
To keep you coming back there are a number of new items and worlds which be unlocked by gathering crackers from fallen enemies. This delivers a good sense of reward, keeps the game entertaining as you try and beat your and your friends’ high scores.
The taxing combat may do little to surprise, but this doesn’t stop Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork being an enjoyable blaster. If you're on its wavelength, you will want to read every little exchange between the characters, and unlock every item before you're through.
DescriptionBECOME A GLORKIAN WARRIOR! Visit awesome asteroids! Blast strange invaders!
Help Glorkian Warrior and his trusty Super Backpack fight against an endless onslaught of alien creatures.
In Glorkian Warrior, you play as a cadet out to prove his worth and maybe get a promotion or two. Your trusty Super Backpack will help you fend off the incoming attackers by firing a constant stream of lasers into the sky. Grab power-ups dropped by the enemies to gain temporary access to some Glorkin' good weapons. And if anything is too low to shoot, leap over it! It's good, classic shoot-em-up fun.
Defeated enemies will drop energy crackers. The more of them you grab, the more cool stuff you'll unlock. Even if you have a terrible run, you'll still make some progress! Try not to have a terrible run, though. It's really bad for our hero's confidence! You can get fun things like basketballs! New weapons! More basketballs, but these ones explode! There are even some fun comics featuring our daring protagonist, drawn by James Kochalka himself. What are you waiting for? Get out there and collect those energy crackers!
- Classic Shooting Action: Move side to side and shoot upwards, just like the old days!
- Wild Power-Ups: Not only can you get some different weapons, you can also pick up extra power-ups to make them faster or stronger!
- Huge Bosses: Seriously, these aliens are so big! What is up with that?
- Tons to Unlock: New weapons, comics, decorations, and more! Become the President of Everything!
- Multiple Control Options: Choose the way that works best for you!
- Vibrant Graphics: It looks just like a cartoon! Who knew there were so many colors on these things?
- Based on James Kochalka's graphic novel “The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza"
Glorkian Warrior is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub Pro, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub Pro subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
What's New in Version 1.4.4Thanks for playing this GameClub game! GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements. Let’s play!