LEGO ® Marvel ™ Super Heroes: Universe in Peril Review
- Nice writing and cutscenes
- Good range of characters
- It's Marvel and Lego, that counts for something
- IAPs are crushing on top of the £2.99 / $4.99 asking price
- Controls struggle with so many inputs
- Fixed angle limit the action
Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril comes only half-assembled, so be prepared to pay more if you want to get the most out of this mediocre port.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril struggles from the outset. A very loose port of a 3DS and Vita game, that is itself a translation of a home console experience, the whole thing feels like a compromise.
The only part of the game that seems complete is the cutscenes. These comic interludes do a great job framing the action, with sharp writing that will appeal to kids and adults alike. Unfortunately, the quality of these only serves to highlight the sacrifices elsewhere in the game.
Though the story is the same as its console counterpart, the gameplay has been significantly cutback for the mobile version. The hub world is gone, replaced by a menu screen. This creates a feeling of restriction that is exacerbated by the isometric leves, viewed from an angle which makes them feel small and pokey.
This is most noticeable when battling iconic Marvel villains in open arenas. These battles should be a highlight, but when you are struggling to even track character’s like Dr Octopus effectively, battling him becomes a chore.
Nowhere are the problems faced by this iOS port clearer than the controls. With movement, attacks, and special abilities all mapped to a selection of taps and swipes, it comes as no surprise that often your device seems confused by what you are asking it to do. This makes coaxing Iron Man into flight with a two-finger swipe even more frustrating as you accidentally unload into a police car you were trying to protect.
To really rub your nose in the control problems, the game is also harder than the console version. Unlimited continues are gone, a fact that makes every unanticipated death you receive while fumbling to convince Hawk Eye to unlock a security door all the more maddening. With buffs and some of the more powerful characters locked behind a paywall, we have a sneaking suspicion that this additional difficulty is to push you towards the in-app purchases that fill every menu screen of this premium title.
Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril does it's best to bring a game designed for a completely different interface to iPhone and iPad. But these constraints - combined with an attempt to blend premium and free-to-play business models - result in a game that is hard to recommend.
DescriptionLEGO® Marvel™ Super Heroes: Universe in Peril features an original story crossing the entire Marvel Universe. Take control of Iron Man, Spider-Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Wolverine and many more Marvel characters as they unite to stop Loki and a host of other Marvel villains from assembling a super-weapon capable of destroying the world!
This game is filled with many hours of content and cinematics that take up a lot of space! You’ll need 2.2gb of available space on your device if you install over wifi, but only 1.1gb of space if you download on your computer and then sync.
As with many large app installations, we advise that you restart your device after installing as this will resolve some stability issues. Also make sure you have installed the most recent firmware.
No internet connection is needed to play this game.
• Over 91 playable characters, such as Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, and more can be unlocked as you progress through the game. Select character families can be accessed at any time through purchase via our in-game store.
• Complete 45 action-packed missions as you chase down Cosmic Bricks across key locations from the Marvel Universe
• Battle enemies using super power abilities such as flight, super strength and invisibility.
• Use fast-paced combat moves and activate Super Moves like Hulk’s Thunder Clap and Iron Man’s Arc Reactor.
• Complete challenges and earn rewards.
• Switch between “Console” and “Touch Screen” controls to find the play-style that suits you best.
What's New in Version 2.2.01) General improvements;