- Twenty different puzzles with many being entirely unique.
- Advanced challenge and highscore search menus.
- Untangle is more fun than it ought to be.
- Some puzzles suffer for their poor explanations.
Some of the individual puzzles in Puzzle Maniak are better implemented than those in games available for $0.99, so with 20 puzzles available this is well worth trying.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
I'll confess, it's not often that I truly enjoy a puzzle game because I honestly prefer my games to be more... 'gamey'. Puzzle Maniak by Alexandre Minard is an assorted collection of borrowed puzzle ideas with some unique ones thrown in that keeps you pulled in through its sheer polish and clever online features.
Instead of being a hodge-podge of half-finished games Puzzle Maniak manages to implement each puzzle completely along with customizable difficulty levels. You're almost guaranteed to find something worth playing, from the intensely logical puzzles like LightUp to the sublimely zen-like Untangle. Controls are varied for each puzzle, but often make good use of the touch interface. Additionally, players can submit their scores online to challenge players around the world to beat thier score and even use an advanced search interface for highscores.
The only real big flaw is the game's learning curve. Puzzle Maniak includes basic rule explanations for each puzzle, but only sometimes identify the logic required to reach solutions. The menus are slick with a smooth cut-out design and alternate themes are available if you want a bit of a change.
Puzzle Maniak isn't an 'ultimate collection' of puzzle games, but it is an extremely polished attempt at being the only puzzle app you'll need. It's all the small things that prevent this from being truly great, but even if you only like a handful of the puzzles it's still a great investment.
DescriptionPuzzleManiak is a collection of 24 puzzle games: Sudoku, Pattern (Picross like), Bridges, Dominosa, Filling, Galaxies, Loopy, LightUp, Mines, Net, Rectangles, Slant, Tents, Unequal, Untangle, Blackbox, SameGame, Pegs, Mastermind, Map, Magnets, Singles, Range and Netslide.
All games are generated on-the-fly with a unique solution, thus you’ll never play the same puzzle twice.
All games offer multiple levels from easy to hard.
Statistics are maintained for each game, and each level of difficulty.
For each game, a daily challenge is available: in this mode, everyday, all players play the same puzzle and compare their scores with other players.
Another online mode is available: the Online League. After any (local) game, you can submit it to the website, so that every other players can play it and thus you can compare your scores to other ones. An overall ranking is available, and ranking are also available for each game.
All online features are now available with Auto-renewable subscriptions only:
• You can choose between 3 subscriptions:
- 1 month subscription: $1.49
- 6 months subscription: $7.49
- 1 year subscription: $12.99
• There is a trial period of 2 weeks for all types of subscriptions.
• Your subscription will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and will automatically renew (at the duration selected) unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Current subscription may not be cancelled during the active subscription period; however, you can manage your subscription and/or turn off auto-renewal by visiting your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.