Squids Wild West Review
- Publisher: The Game Bakers
- Genre: Role Playing
- Released: 27 Jun, 2012
- Size: 289.5 MB
- Price: $1.99
- New enemies, hazards and mounts add complexity to the formerly basic combat system.
- A combined total of 40 story and bonus stages to unlock and three-star.
- Overhauled 'base' includes compare system and cheaper leveling.
- Continued dependance on recycling levels; repetition offset somewhat by the unique scenarios presented.
- Needs more incentive to experiment with new characters; more challenges to exploit their unique traits.
Squids Wild West takes what felt like a fun, but otherwise short turn-based title and polishes it in to a far more rounded-out experience; it's Squids as it should have been, but we don't mind the wait!
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The Game Bakers are crafty developers - while you could consider Squids Wild West a sequel of sorts, it acts more like an expansion to the first title, albeit jam-packed with content, new characters, mechanics and... well OK, it's a sequel, just without the usual tacked-on number.
Carrying on from the end of Squids, Steev, Vahime, Sammo and the rest of the crew end up at Seawood and are trying to find more heroes in the quest to stop the black-ooze slowly infesting and changing the creatures of the ocean. Thanks to the new Western-themed environment, players have access to exciting gameplay additions such as explosive traps, rideable Seahorses that augment a squid's mobility and damage, and all new ooze-infested monster variations to test your skills on.
In fact, you'll have a whopping 40 levels over five chapters to master your squid-sling-shot skills with up to six new characters that can completely replace your core team with ease. Where the first game separated out characters by their class, Wild West augments its new characters by adding a spin to these basic classes. This results in players being able to customize their teams with very specific tactics in mind, such as exploiting the many 'dashes' available to Kapono or watching as Cleef snipes two different enemies from a distance.
Those familiar with the original will slip right in to Wild West as its core gameplay of turn-based combat and using sling-shot mechanics to move the squids remains in-tact. However, in addition to the usual hazards of spiky walls and flowing currents, players will now have to carefully avoid or make use of explosive lobsters and flip over tenacious enemies that can't be damaged.
In a subtle, but significant change to leveling, the cost is now a flat 300 pearls - something that makes life much easier when managing so many new squids. To offset this, there's a host of new hats to find and unlock, with IAP also available to unlock special no-stat hats to support the developer.
Squids Wild West is everything a sequel should be, short of completely evolving the mechanics and upgrading the visuals (not that the game looks any less amazing on Retina displays). If you enjoyed the first game or love turn-based tactical games, definitely make this your next choice purchase.
DescriptionSQUIDS Wild West has a unique mix of action strategy and RPG: build your team of heroes for challenging turn-based battles against corrupted crabs and shrimp! This sequel is even better than the original, with many surprises in store: devious new enemies, four new playable characters, and nearly twice as many levels. You can even ride seahorses into battle!
The Squids are back: bigger and better! The epic adventure continues as our band of stretchy heroes explore the underwater Wild West, fight back against the evil Black Ooze, and search for Winnick, their fallen comrade. If you don't know SQUIDS yet, SQUIDS Wild West is a great place to start!
What the critics say:
• Metacritic: Best iOS games of 2012
• TouchArcade: Best RPGs of 2012
• "A great adventure for hardcore RPG players, as well as casual iOS gamers, it provides hours and hours of great entertainment. It is definitely going to wind up on my top 10 games of the year list." The App Shack (5/5)
• "Its artwork, its animations, its character - almost everything exudes warmth and attention to detail. It is a labor of love, not just a product. And, most importantly, it’s fun." - GameZebo (5/5)
• "The adorable spawn of Angry Birds and Final Fantasy Tactics" -The Escapist
• Brand new chapter in the funny and exciting SQUIDS saga
• Unique mix of turn-based tactics and classic RPG elements
• An epic adventure: hours of gameplay with varied missions and boss battles
• Simple controls: grab Squids by the tentacles, then fling them across the battlefield
• Four character classes with different abilities: shooters, scouts, troopers, and healers
• Recruit your own Squid army among 12+ playable characters
• Equip your Squids with special ability-boosting helmets
• Universal App with iCloud syncing—play on any device and store your progress!
SQUIDS Wild West is localized in English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Korean.
For the latest SQUIDS news, or to ask us a question, check us out on Twitter @TheGameBakers or Facebook/SquidsTheGame
No Squids were harmed during the making of this game. (But we can’t say the same for the shrimp…)