Despicable Me: Minion Rush Review
- Crisp graphics.
- Solid running with varied environments.
- Boss battles spice things up.
- Some may find the visuals a bit overwhelming.
- Nagging in-app purchase prompts.
- Essentially just another endless-runner.
Though it's yet another IAP-packed endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush is a perfectly serviceable movie tie-in.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Temple Run has a lot to answer for. Since the monumental success of the 3D auto-runner, it has become the default template for developers looking to score an accessible, family-friendly hit.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush is the latest Gameloft movie tie-in to follow this trend. You take control of one of Gru's yellow helpers, whom you must direct left and right, up, and down towards collectable bananas, and away from oncoming hazards.
If you've ever played an endless runner, you know exactly where you stand with Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Occasionally, you'll run in to a boss battle. These usually involve dodging projectiles, and then turning them against your enemy. The camera will sometimes shift perspective, too, which initially caught us off-guard. There are also moments when you'll need to use your accellerometer to steer your yellow buddy down a chute. These variables keep you on your toes, although they interfere with the flow a little.
Gameloft has clearly done a lot ensure the game is visually interesting. The graphics are crisp and detailed, with the screen is constantly full of interest and activity. If anything, the frenetic visuals are a tad overwhelming, walking a fine line between dazzling and dizzying.
The actual running is very solid, though. As you would hope, your minion does what exactly what you tell it to. Hazards are varied, switching according to the ever changing environments. You can spend collected bananas on costumes, and power-ups such as freeze rays and shields. There's also a premium gold currency which you can pay real for. Unfortunately, the game is a bit pushy when it comes to squeezing you for upgrades, flashing at least two products at you after every run.
All in all, it's a very glossy example of the genre. I does feel a bit like the devs have thrown everything at the wall to ensure at least something sticks. Kids and fans of the film will likely enjoy the novelty of stepping to the Despicable Me universe. The rest of us might the exhuberant visuals a bit much to take. By all means give it a go, just don't come to us when your eyeballs have melted into yellow goo.
DescriptionOVER 950+ MILLION PLAYERS HAVE FELT THE MINION RUSH. NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO JOIN ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLY DESPICABLE GAMES AROUND!
Illumination, Universal & Gameloft have teamed up to create Minion Rush, an innovative and highly addictive running game for everyone!
Ready to test your skills? Then run and jump into this fun runner game along with the Minions to race and dodge your way through all the famous locations straight from the Despicable Me and Minions movies!
ENDLESS RUNNING FUN WITH THE MINIONS
• Experience easy-to-play controls as you run, jump, slide, and dodge obstacles as fast as possible!
• Have fun clearing out action-packed missions with lots of power-ups and unexpected twists.
• Collect Costumes and run in race challenges as different Minions, including Dave, Carl, Jerry and Mel.
• Feel the rush run anytime—there are always fun new goals to fulfill every day.
• Enjoy an award-winning, fan-favorite running game, highly acclaimed by boys and girls of all ages. And there’s plenty of despicable racing fun action for you too!
• Pick it up in seconds thanks to easy-to-play controls and endless running. You just have to run, swipe, dash, and jump to keep rolling through this adventure game!
GET TO KNOW THE MINIONS UNIVERSE
• Enter a running adventure game with the Minions full of stunning locations with lively graphics, recreated from the memorable Despicable Me and Minions movies.
• Dash through the Residential Area where Gru and the girls live, Egyptian Pyramids, the Prison where the Minions were stuck, always-sunny Freedonia, Eduardo’s House full of surprises, and many more!
• Each location is crafted with love and passion, so get ready for a fun race through challenging obstacles, inside amazing areas and out in the wild.
• Take your daring chase through cities, malls, parks, beaches, a temple—you name it! Also, we made sure to have the most colorful and vivid graphics to make sure you have a great experience playing the best free running game.
• If you’re adventurous enough, there’s also a secret area hidden in every location, but you have to show some great running skills and fast swiping acrobatics to get to them!
• Discover loads of great new stories, each available for just a limited time in the Special Missions that come with each regular game update! We promise to keep you busy with fun new racing missions and exciting runner game events.
• There are lots of prizes waiting for you to collect after completing every action mission, so get your running shoes on and start the action fast!
COLLECT COSTUMES TO SUIT YOUR STYLE
• The Minions love to dress up, so check out the awesome costume collection! The variety will surprise you, so whether you prefer to play as a Surfer, Ballerina, Spy, Cupid, or Cancan Dancer, we’ve got you covered. And that’s just the tip of the costume iceberg!
• The Minions never sleep, so neither do we when it comes to crafting new costumes. That’s why there’s almost always something new to try on with every update to the game!
• Each Minion Costume has its own special skills, power-ups, and a dash of style to help your Minion accomplish their despicable missions. Collect costumes until you have them all!
Don't Forget: Minion Rush is not only a mobile runner game that’s packed with all the fun of the Despicable Me and Minions movies, but it’s also a hit game that’s on mobile for free, with all the simple action and stunning graphics that makes this endless runner game enjoyable for all!
Visit our official site at http://gmlft.co/website_EN
Check out the new blog at http://gmlft.co/central
End-User License Agreement: http://www.gameloft.com/en/eula
What's New in Version 7.4.1Hello Minion Runners!
The Minions are saddling up for exciting new adventures and more in this Festival update of Minion Rush. Get ready for some galloping fun!
INTRODUCING THE FESTIVAL
The Festival is a brand-new feature with a wide array of fun missions to rack up points and earn unique rewards! The further you advance through it, the better the prizes you unlock!
NEW SPECIAL MISSIONS
Legions of Minions: Margo takes the Minions on a trip through history as they relive some of the most famous battles of the Roman legionaries!
Banana Bank (Coming Soon): Lights, camera, action! The Minions are filming a classic Western movie about a bank heist. Care to join the show?
Legionary: Crafted strong enough for an empire... small enough for a Minion.
Cowboy: Or should we say CowMinion? Ride off into the sunset with this rootin’ tootin’ costume!