- A rewarding combination of discovery and reward.
- A huge amount of content to uncover.
- Placing items and targeted mining is trickier than it should be.
- No multiplayer.
Terraria has not made the transition to iOS unscathed, but its cocktail of 2D crafting and exploration is still as engrossing as ever.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Terraria has been a popular PC title since 2011, only making its way to consoles and iOS this year. Its brand of expansive exploration combined with creation and crafting abilities have has earned it the label "the 2D Minecraft”. As it's already well-established as an enjoyable craft-'em-up, our main concern was whether the game had made the leap to the App Store in one piece. The answer: mostly.
You start by customising your character's features and inhabiting one of three randomly generated worlds (or by playing the tutorial beforehand). You begin with a bronze sword, pickaxe, and axe to help you fend off monsters and gather resources, either by mining or by chopping down trees.
Your first order of business is to build a house by laying down either dirt or wood, building a door, and erecting a back wall (so creatures don't spawn in your home during the evenings). You'll also want to furnish it to attract non-player-characters to move in.
Your hotkey bar up the top of the screen is obviously a lot smaller than the PC version, with the iOS build allowing for only five quick-access items (with the option to switch to 10 in the options menu). To access your equipment and crafting screens, you need to tap the ellipses at the end of the bar.
Movement is controlled entirely with the left stick. It's a perfectly passable system, though it does make jumping a bit of a chore. Gathering resources and building structures is more of a headache than it needs to be, however. Obviously you don't have the precision that a mouse cursor provides. To compensate for this, a magnification box is brought up when you tap the screen so you fine tune which pixels you wish to effect.
This would be a great solution if you could magnify without having to affect the world, In practise, you end up tapping and holding in the general area you wish to interact with, and hoping you hit your target pixel first time.
If you' ve spent any time with the PC version, then the lack of multiplayer will probably grate a bit. However, despite some interface compromises the game has made the transition to touch screens largely intact. If you like a strong narrative and engaging story from your games, then you'd be wise to look elsewhere for your kicks. But, provided can see past the control niggles, Terraria on iOS does a reasonable job of putting the 2D playground in the palm of your hand.
DescriptionDIG! FIGHT! EXPLORE! BUILD! Join the community of millions of Terrarians!
TERRARIA MOBILE REBUILT FROM THE GROUND UP – NEW AND IMPROVED AND NOW INCLUDING CONTENT FROM THE EPIC 1.3 UPDATE!
"This is the full version of Terraria, built from the ground up... If you loved it on PC or consoles, you’ll love it here.” - Slide To Play
The very world is at your fingertips as you fight for survival, fortune, and glory. Delve deep into cavernous expanses, seek out ever-greater foes to test your mettle in combat, or construct your own city - In the World of Terraria, the choice is yours!
We recommend at least iPhone 6S, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 or newer. We support iPhone 5S, iPad Air 1, iPad Mini 2 running at least iOS 10.0, but these devices may experience reduced performance.
• MULTIPLAYER – Play with up to 7 friends on Local Wifi or Online via device-device Wifi hosted games or through the Mobile Terraria Dedicated Server for PC (available for free on Terraria.org)
• TERRARIA REIMAGINED FOR MOBILE – Brand new controls and User Interface provide a level of polish and capability not previously possible!
• New World Sizes – Small/Medium/Large...the same size as on Terraria for PC!
• New! Fully customise your experience by changing the layout of your controls!
• New! Controller support! Now you can play with your Bluetooth connected gamepad where supported.
• Over 300 enemies to combat, defeat, and plunder for loot
• Over 15 Bosses and Events to truly test the player's skills
• Endgame Celestial Invasion Event and the Moon Lord final boss encounter
• Over 20 Biomes and Mini-Biomes to explore, both above and underground – from lush forests to barren deserts to dungeons, the underworld, and even the terrifying Corruption await!
• New Expert Mode designed to provide new challenges for even the most seasoned Terraria veterans - with the promise of greater rewards
• Updated crafting with multiple added item options
• Over 20 NPCs to discover, each providing their own benefits and unique style
• More than 800 new items to discover – bringing the total item count to more than 3500!
• In-depth building options that are easy to learn, but allow for amazing feats of architecture in the hands of a master
In short, every pixel of Terraria has been reimagined and hand crafted for the BEST possible mobile experience!
Follow us on Twitter @Terraria_Logic and @505_Games
Join our community on Discord @ http://Discord.GG/Terraria
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TerrariaOfficial and https://www.facebook.com/505Games
Visit us on the web at www.terraria.org
Join the official Terraria Forums at: https://forums.terraria.org/